Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still shooting a Glock 35?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a Gen4 G35. I am mostly holding onto it so I can shoot .40 in future ammo panic droughts.

I don't shoot it much simply because I have so much more 9mm ammunition, but it is very shootable. It is absurdly accurate in my hands, and recoil is not bad at all. After getting ahold of up to date G22 magazines, I have had zero malfunctions across ~1500 rounds, most of which were shot with a TLR-1 attached.

I am not quite tall enough (5'10) to comfortably carry the 35 AIWB, but I would certainly trust mine enough to do so.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.

I'm issued a G35 Gen 4, and get to shoot it quite a bit with duty (165 grain GDHP) and practice (180 grain Winchester Ranger & 125 grain Cleanfire) ammo.

Impressions: pistol shoots well in my hands, and is more controllable than other Glock models in this caliber. The pistol has held up admirably to my firing schedule so far, and I shoot 200-500 rounds per week through it.

Given my druthers, I'd still select a Generation 5 Glock 45, 34 or 17 any day of the week over a 40 caliber anything pistol.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If someone was giving me free .40 ammo, then I’d grab a G35 and not look back.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I don't have a G35, but I did have a G34, a Gen 3. The gun performed superbly, and without any drama whatsoever. The only changes I performed were to add a set of Warren Tactical sights, and a NY1 spring. When I won a GSSF certificate a few years ago, and decided to get a .40 Glock, the one I chose was...a Gen4 G22, as opposed to a G35. The G34, good as it was, eventually was sold (and I hope the new owner is thoroughly appreciating and enjoying it).

Here was my logic:

First, while I liked the G34, and it's performance was superlative, at the end of the day it didn't do anything that my Gen 3 G17 or Gen 3 G19 did, and that included both performance and ease of carry/use.

Second, while I too have heard nothing but excellent things about the G35 (both Gen 3 and Gen4 variants), the Gen4 G22 more than adequately met my needs, and in a slightly easier to carry/conceal package. If I had chosen a G35, it would have seen very little use, nice that I imagine that it is.

But that's me. And I don't mean to damn the G35 with faint praise-in my case, my .40 Glock needs were perceptually better filled with the Gen4 G22 (which I've been pretty pleased with, but which, in turn, has taken a second place to my HK VP40 in actual use when it comes to a SFA .40).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-03-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Picked mine up as a bargain after the Great Awakening (that 9mm rules all).
    I, too, run it as a switch between 40 and 357 Sig.
    It's my main match gun for optics games.
    With 357 it's a laser out to 50 yards.
    Name:  g35.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  61.1 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think Tom Givens has written about running a G35 as a CCW gun, comparing it to a 1911, for example. But I believe recently he's moved toward the "more BBs is better" camp and changed to a G34. Dig up some of his old writings if you care.

My own thoughts are that if it wasn't as a tandem to a required Glock duty gun, I'd rather go with a USP .40 FS. They are cheap and readily available these days.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ...I'd rather go with a USP .40 FS. They are cheap and readily available these days.
    Yes. Last year I found an LEM full size USP model in VG condition for $379 and it is FAR easier to shoot than any .40 Glock and quite accurate with a variety of loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't have a G35, but I did have a G34, a Gen 3. The gun performed superbly, and without any drama whatsoever. The only changes I performed were to add a set of Warren Tactical sights, and a NY1 spring. When I won a GSSF certificate a few years ago, and decided to get a .40 Glock, the one I chose was...a Gen4 G22, as opposed to a G35. The G34, good as it was, eventually was sold (and I hope the new owner is thoroughly appreciating and enjoying it).

Here was my logic:

First, while I liked the G34, and it's performance was superlative, at the end of the day it didn't do anything that my Gen 3 G17 or Gen 3 G19 did, and that included both performance and ease of carry/use.

Second, while I too have heard nothing but excellent things about the G35 (both Gen 3 and Gen4 variants), the Gen4 G22 more than adequately met my needs, and in a slightly easier to carry/conceal package. If I had chosen a G35, it would have seen very little use, nice that I imagine that it is.

But that's me. And I don't mean to damn the G35 with faint praise-in my case, my .40 Glock needs were perceptually better filled with the Gen4 G22 (which I've been pretty pleased with, but which, in turn, has taken a second place to my HK VP40 in actual use when it comes to a SFA .40).

Best, Jon

Did your G34 have a NY1 trigger and "-" connector combo? If so, how did that compare to a standard setup and a NY1 with 5.5 connector?

My friend/co-worker loaned me his 2009/2010ish built G35 Gen3 today (with option to buy).

It’s bone stock with a set of Mepro night sights and a ridiculously light (read that way too light) Ghost connector in it. It has the mid-2000’s black “frying pan finish” which is my favorite of all the finishes Glock has produced.

I took it up to the range at lunch and ended up putting almost 500 rounds through it.

This is the first time I’ve shot a 40 S&W Glock for any length of time in over 10 years.

Mind you, I’ve been shooting 9mm Glocks almost exclusively since 2014.

I had eliminated all 40 S&W guns from my personal inventory except for a Gen3 G22 I keep for sentimental reasons, but don’t particularly enjoy shooting or trust it after all the our WML nonsense a few years back.

My subjective observations on the G35 are:
    - Its recoils isn’t snappy, but it’s certainly harsher than a G17, G34, or even G21.
    - For a factory Glock its barrel seemed more accurate than most (this comes from a guy that’s shot dozens and dozens of Glocks in his life).
    - An unintended consequence is that the harsh recoil makes me grip harder and focus on the fundamentals harder and thus shoot better than I have been recently with 9mm Glocks. I think they shoot so soft that I get lazy (I’m going to do another thread on that I think).
    - I don’t need this gun. My Gen3 G17 and Gen5 G19 do everything it does and probably do it better (except shoot 40 S&W). I had more fun shooting this stupid thing than I have any other gun recently. I kinda want it just because.

I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to buy the thing and dedicate some time to the 40 S&W again.

Adding a decent set of sights (thinking Trijicon XR front and Warren rear), a standard factory slide stop, and a factory connector would make this thing even better.
    Last edited by KevH; 04-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think Tom Givens has written about running a G35 as a CCW gun, comparing it to a 1911, for example. But I believe recently he's moved toward the "more BBs is better" camp and changed to a G34.
    G17

User Tag List