Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still shooting a Glock 35?

Anyone still shooting a Glock 35?

I know the 40 S&W has never been popular on this forum and seems to be increasingly falling out of favor with just about everyone.

My work is starting to get stingy with 9mm so I've been contemplating picking up a Glock 35 to take advantage of the 40 S&W that we stockpiled that isn't in high demand (our practice is 165gr Federal AE and duty is 165 gr HST).

I haven't shot a G35 in well over ten years back when I was in the minority shooting 9mm. I never cared for the G22 in any flavor (Gen2, Gen3 or Gen4). From my fuzzy memory the Gen3 G35 was softer shooting and I actually had decent split times with it.

So for anyone still using one how is the G35 compared to the G34 and other Glocks?

I had a G35Gen3 for almost 5 years and sold it off 1/2015.

During that time, I was still issued the G22Gen4, but off-duty I'd sometimes carry the G35Gen3. I found I was more accurate out to 25 yards with the G35Gen3.

(Note. I see LCAction advertises the G35Gen4 at $500. If you can get free ammo in 2,000 rounds you'll have paid for the G35Gen4 and you'll be saving money with any free ammo after that.)
    https://www.lcaction.com/guns/glock/glock-40/full-size

There was the usual more-recoil shooting a .40, compared to a comparable G34Gen4 9mm (of which I now have two).

(Another note. Livermore PD used to use the G35 {unknown Gen} for SWAT and personally-owned-duty-guns. Unknown what they're using now.)
    Last edited by L-2; 04-01-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    I keep a GEN4 G35 and G23 combo for the same reasons stated, an abundance of Federal
    One eighty grain HST and FMJ.

I have bad carpal tunnel with scheduled surgery in two days so I dont plan on shooting more than my nine mm once I recover.

The GEN four G thirty five is a soft shooter though and the one eighty grn. HST is a formidable round for barrier penetraion based on the research of Federal and DocGKR .

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    So for anyone still using one how is the G35 compared to the G34 and other Glocks?
    Snappier for sure, but not too bad. I'm not a big glock fan so I don't shoot it much and, when I do, I usually use a 9mm conversion barrel. But if the ammo fairy dropped a case of .40 on my doorstep I'd happily send it downrange...

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    (Another note. Livermore PD used to use the G35 {unknown Gen} for SWAT and personally-owned-duty-guns. Unknown what they're using now.)
    I hear Kentucky State Police use a G35 with a 8# blue label trigger.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-02-2019 at 02:38 AM.

My buddy's primary gun is a G35, which he switches between .357 sig and .40 depending on his mood.

He reloads, exclusively full power, Underwood spec loads. Paired with the G35 he's getting some pretty impressive velocities:

.357 sig 125gr Gold Dot @ 1600fps

.40 155gr XTP @ 1400fps

Between those 2 loads he's got over 12k rounds though the gun (he's got it all on an Excel spreadsheet), without any signs of wear beyond the finish. The G35 is a tough gun, and quite accurate in his hands. I've seen him zap 4" swingers at 50 yards pretty regularly with that thing.

In terms of recoil with those full power loads, he mentioned that having the ~5-6oz's of a WML helps a lot.
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 04-02-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Snappier for sure, but not too bad. I'm not a big glock fan so I don't shoot it much and, when I do, I usually use a 9mm conversion barrel. But if the ammo fairy dropped a case of .40 on my doorstep I'd happily send it downrange...

I hear Kentucky State Police use a G35 with a 8# blue label trigger.
    I think they switched as Recoil Gunworks has Kentucky State Police G35's for sale for $439.95.

Site Supporter
    WARNING- A LONG AND WINDING RESPONSE

I have carried a Gen 3 G35 as my primary carry gun since 2005. I shoot 180g Speer Gold Dot as my carry load and the corresponding Lawman practice load. My practice G35 has 20K plus thru it, My carry G35 about 2K max. At 15kish, I sheered the tip off of the firing pin which caused a few light strikes. I change recoil springs every 3k. I lube with lithium bearing grease. They wear what are now essentially Ameriglo Spartan Sights. 3.5 OEM connector w 5.5 TRS. Vickers Slide release with and an OEM extended mag release reduced and textured by me. The guns themselves have been heavily stippled in a "treebark" pattern. Finger groves have been removed. My Gen 3 35s have been boringly reliable, even when wearing a TLR 1. I have 6 dedicated training mags that are never carried and at least that many that are carry mags only. I change out my carry ammo on during the month of April right after my BD.

The gun is carried AIWB in either a CCC Shaggy or a Keepers Kydex holster. I have a "brace" of Gen 3 34s set up exactly the same way for when I train/carry the G34.

I have found my G35 to be 6 inch 25 yd accurate, for me. I admittedly am not the best shooter at 25 yrds. 1 ragged hole accurate at 7 yrds in my hands. I find the recoil impulse of the G35 shooting the loads mentioned above to be less than a 124+p in a Gen 2 Glock 19. I have found my G34s to be similarly accurate in my hands The G34 is noticeably lighter in the hand but not so on the beltline.

My go to cold range test is 5 rounds at 5 yrds on an 8 inch plate, NO MISSES ON THE PLATE. From concealment with hands at sides and a big step off line I am 2.65-3.00 with the G35. I am 2.35-2.75 with the G34, usually shooting 115g Fiocchi or WWB. The comes out to one more round of 9mm, on avg v. the .40 cal in the same time frame. I hit those lower times if I am dry firing 3x weekly and live firing 2 x month. I am at the higher ranges if I am not doing the work.

I continue to shoot the G35 because I have historically fired a lot more .40 cal than 9 mm given the agencies I have trained with over the last 14 years. If I had to feed and water my own gun exclusively without the training opportunities I have had to date, I would go with the G34 and drive on.

YMMV Greatly.

My G35 is the softest shooting Glock I've ever owned. I carried a G23 for years on duty (and a G26-27 off) and never experienced any problems even after having Carpal tunnel surgery. I picked up a G35 a little while ago at a fair price (I've always wanted one since Glock announced their intent to produce them) and I was seriously pleased at the difference in the 23 and the 35. Besides being highly accurate it was much easier on recoil. My wife (who trained on a Glock 22) declared that it was the best Glock she'd ever shot (I'm now in danger of "losing" it to her). My son (who qualified on a G19 for his Concealed Carry Permit) was amazed at how easy it was to shoot; even remarking that there didn't appear to be much difference between the 9mm and the 40.

Overall I am highly pleased. In fact I'm going to buy an extended slide release for my G27 based upon owning the G35.

The next project is to acquire a 357 SIG barrel...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I think they switched as Recoil Gunworks has Kentucky State Police G35's for sale for $439.95.
    They switched a while back to Gen5 G17, I got one of those KSP's from Recoil "just because" to have a Glock 40 in the stable, and it was in excellent condition. It has the standard gen 4 trigger group and coil trigger spring.

I ran a gen3 G35 in USPSA limited for several years around the turn of the century before I traded it off and went all STI. I have a sentimental love for the gun, it is by far and away the least obnoxious Glock in .40 in terms of shooting, recoil, shot to shot recovery, etc. and I think the gen 4 gun is even better on that count with the new double recoil spring.

I had an issued G35 with a light on it for the past three years. It's a very smooth shooting gun and the recoil isn't bad at all. Only problem I have now is I changed jobs and got issued the G22 for a duty weapon. It's so light in comparison I'm having problems on the draw fumbling the thing.

User Tag List