Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we ditch the AR15 buffer detent?

Should we ditch the AR15 buffer detent?

I recently saw a video of someone at a match who's detent came loose and got stuck in the trigger group, disabling the gun. The video was posted as an example of why the buffer detent is a bad idea. I'm wondering what the P-F consensus is. I've never seen one fail myself and it seems like it shouldn't but at the same time it doesn't seem neccisary and is a potential failure point.

Original video. It looks like the detent is in one piece so the first thing that comes to mind is that the buffer tube wasn't screwed in all the way. But I don't really know how it happened.

Another talking about why they're not neccisary.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

FWIW, FCD just came out with this to help deal with this issue: http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...ols_p_158.html

It's such a rare issue that I'm not really in a hurry to get rid of it.

I only ever interact with it when I remove a stock every 4 years and forget it's there and it launches into A: orbit or B: my forehead.

Fix that and I'm happy.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I’ve seen it on numerous occasions, and every time it was home expert gunsmiths messing around.

Like jay said, the only way that can possibly happen is if the buffer tube and castle nut were not installed correctly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Like jay said, the only way that can possibly happen is if the buffer tube and castle nut were not installed correctly.
    This ^^^?

You have a guy running a home built AR using non standard parts. It’s not a basis for changing a proven formula.

As already mentioned, the buffer detent coming out is entirely a result of not having the buffer tube screwed in all the way AND not securing it using something like the PWS ratchet lock castle nut or just staking the USGI castle nut. As someone who is chronically paranoid about "what if something's wrong with my gun," I found out a few years ago that a correctly-assembled-and-manufactured AR-15 will:

1. not allow the buffer detent to actually contact the buffer when the receiver is closed (the rear of the BCG pushes it back slightly)
    2. have the hole for the buffer detent drilled in at a very slight forward angle (I think it's 5 degrees?) to help ensure point #1

The only time the buffer detent is actually used at all is when the receiver halves are separated. Otherwise, it's basically inert; the BCG glides over it without making contact during the firing cycle and the buffer is held back by the BCG once back in battery. If you're worried about it breaking, Forward Controls makes the aforementioned RBF. If you're worried about not getting it secured by your buffer tube, get the PWS EBT Gen 2 tube, which will both "cradle" the buffer detent on the left/right/rear of the detent and also include the ratchet lock castle nut so that the tube won't come loose (not that it really *can* without breaking the detent pin, given the design of the buffer detent notch).
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 04-01-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Not gonna get rid of a useful part because someone else can't put their legos together right.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I think Karl let the Asperger's get the best of him here. A properly built, in spec lower will not allow the buffer to make contact with the detent when the upper is closed.

If I had an out of spec lower that allowed this to be a problem, I'd send it back to the manufacturer for replacement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I think Karl let the Asperger's get the best of him here.
    He let it get the best of his wardrobe choice, too. Pretty difficult to take anyone seriously if they're wearing a T-shirt like that.

User Tag List