Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hep me pick a new EDC: Emerson Tiger, Emerson CQC13, or go Auto??

I have become a bit of a Spyderco snob over the last year. I have carried a Paramilitary 2 for about the past four years now. I kept trying different folders but came back to my PM2. I'm at the point now that I don't even try anymore. There are so many variations of the PM2 out that if I get bored or want to try something new it's there is always something interesting and new to look at. At a starting price of $125 or so, you are not going to cry a river if it's lost and can easily be replaced.

The S30V steel is more than capable for everyday carry and if you want "better" there are tons of options. The only mod I did to mine is a deep carry clip.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Whatever you get I strongly recommend a blade with an inch or so of serrations. I have had several emergencies in life that had to be solved with a knife and none involved self defense. I have had to cut my sleeve off because it was caught in a printing press that was running. A dog leash because the dog was wrapped around a post and choking in a panic and once I had to cut a water hose loose to extinguish a fire because no one could unscrew it. All three times I used the serrated section to saw through something. If you do have to fight with a small pocket folder you should be using the point anyway and the serrations will not inconvenience you in the slightest.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    Whatever you get I strongly recommend a blade with an inch or so of serrations. I have had several emergencies in life that had to be solved with a knife and none involved self defense. I have had to cut my sleeve off because it was caught in a printing press that was running. A dog leash because the dog was wrapped around a post and choking in a panic and once I had to cut a water hose loose to extinguish a fire because no one could unscrew it. All three times I used the serrated section to saw through something. If you do have to fight with a small pocket folder you should be using the point anyway and the serrations will not inconvenience you in the slightest.
    The last time I had to use a knife in an emergency, it was to cut a ribbon from a teddy bear's bow tie that my son had managed to wrap/twist/tie (don't really know how he did it) around his finger so that neither he nor I could get it off, and which was cutting off his circulation. A narrow, thin blade was necessary.

For defense, if it has an edge, a point, and a reasonable lock, it will likely work. When I pick a blade configuration, I am much more concerned about these non-defensive emergencies.

Site Supporter

Hep me pick a new EDC: Emerson Tiger, Emerson CQC13, or go Auto??

I really like my Skeletools (I own 2) and the black and silver is my favorite. However, they really don’t replace a good wave-opening folder with a rocker bar lock or other good, strong lock. My one criticism of the one hand opening Leatherman blades is the thin liner lock.

The blade configuration is ideal for non-defensive emergencies, with a thin point and 1/2 serrated edge. Other than the liner lock, the thumb opening blade is nice. It could serve a defensive purpose in a pinch, while being legally ideal for jurisdictions that ban anything “designed for fighting.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 05-25-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

I've owned Emerson, Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT, etc....autos and regular folders.....

I never am without my PM2. It's a great slicer and I carry it on duty as well as off duty. The only negative is the point is a little delicate but I'll take that for the slicing capability.

I also carry a LM wave off duty and a well used Surge on duty. They get the brunt of the cutting tasks that require a strong blade.....abusive use.

For everyday cutting, I have a slip joint from back in the day....typically a Schrade Walden or older Case....with 1095 carbon steel with patina....and I can get those very keen with very little effort.

Regards.

Name:  pointythings.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  48.9 KB
    Last edited by lwt16; 07-03-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I've owned Emerson, Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT, etc....autos and regular folders.....I never am without my PM2. It's a great slicer and I carry it on duty as well as off duty. The only negative is the point is a little delicate but I'll take that for the slicing capability.

I also carry a LM wave off duty and a well used Surge on duty. They get the brunt of the cutting tasks that require a strong blade.....abusive use.

For everyday cutting, I have a slip joint from back in the day....typically a Schrade Walden or older Case....with 1095 carbon steel with patina....and I can get those very keen with very little effort.

Name:  pointythings.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  48.9 KB

This ^ ^ ^

I carry two knives, sometimes three. One of them is always a Swiss Army Victorinox "Tinker" for small tasks. The other(s) are Emerson CQC-7's that I've had for years.

You carry the tools that'll get you through the day.

That Surge has never let me down. I've cut plastic car parts off cars at crashes, busted windows, tightened all sorts of screws on patrol cars (with the LM tool bit kit), cut those door chains on doors with the wire/bolt cutters, removed or placed a hundred car tags on folk's cars who just tossed the updated tag in the trunk and drove around with the expired one on instead........

When I retire, that Surge is retiring too. It's been fantastic. The serrated edge gets touched up from time to time on a Sharpmaker but the plain edge gets sharpened in the field on the edge of my patrol SUV windows. Trick I learned from grandpa.

Coworker of mine had a prisoner kick and tear up his seat belt latch in the back of his SUV. We are mandated by policy to only transport one prisoner at a time and he was stressing about having to turn in the ride for weeks on end. I grabbed the bit kit, figured out a bit that would fit the wonky drive screws that held the latch to the cage, and we swapped them out in five minutes.

Don't remember what I paid for it back in the day but it was money well spent.

The slip joint sees a lot of routine, mundane cutting. I also have a LM Raptor....which made quick work of auto glass the other day when we found a decedent in a black car that had been there for a week. That thing is turning out to be handy to have clipped to the cargo pockets as well (on duty). I typically don't carry it off duty.

Regards.

If the WAVE feature is something you really desire then these guys makes something for the benchmades and spydercos to do just that.

http://wisemencompany.com/fang/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    If the WAVE feature is something you really desire then these guys makes something for the benchmades and spydercos to do just that.

http://wisemencompany.com/fang/
    These guys also offer a Wave add on, the Pickpocket, among other things. Their Instagram has better photos of it on knives than their site does.

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/products

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu7Y54Hh...=1t40jhs2q8pyv
    Last edited by Crashpad; 07-05-2019 at 03:12 PM.

User Tag List