Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hep me pick a new EDC: Emerson Tiger, Emerson CQC13, or go Auto??

Hep me pick a new EDC: Emerson Tiger, Emerson CQC13, or go Auto??

I'm in the market for a new edc folder. I have been carrying around a ZT0350TS for the last 5-6 years. Not a thing wrong with it, besides my sucking at sharpening recurves. I really just want a new knife in that general size. I had an Emerson Karambit years ago that I ended up dumping on eBay because it was the opposite of practical, but the construction was well thought out. I've been looking at the two Emerson's in the title and although vastly different designs, both excite me. Also, automatics have been legal in my state for several months now. I'm wondering if I should jump on that bandwagon while the getting is good. The Protech Strider collab has me very intrigued, as does the price!

Any experience with the above that the hive can comment on? Any opinions or recommendations are appreciated. Looking for stainless blades that aren't a bear to sharpen, 3-4", quality construction, and around $250 at the high end.

Site Supporter
    I am not a knife guy per se. In folding, I EDC a Spydeco CAT.

I am of two schools of thought:

1. You work hard for the money, buy what you like. Either Emerson would be fine. I do not like autos enough to justify the cost increase and I have accidental auto opening concerns.
    2. IMHO, presuming you have never had a knife class, a 100.00 knife and using the 150 from your budget for a class seems to me to be a better way to go.

Any specific reason you were partial to the Emersons?

An Emerson CQC-10 was my first nice knife. I'll never get rid of it, but I found my subsequent ZTs and Benchmades to be much better values, as they were much nicer quality at similar price points. IMO, EKI makes nice enough knives, they're just priced way higher than they're actually worth.

FWIW, I EDC Sebenzas these days; my folders are all used purely as cutting tools, my SFBs as defensive weapons.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 04-01-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Now that ZT’s Wave knives are discontinued, Emerson may be your best choice. I like their new Seax.

The Spyderco PKal is a great knife, but not for hard use.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I never considered taking a knife class. Despite my wanting another Emerson, I’ve actually never considered employing a knife as a weapon. I guess I figure if I can tote a knife, I can tote a .45 too . I probably should have specified that, just using these guys as cutting tools, and possibly light prying tools. Also, my first high end folder was an Emerson. No fanboy nonsense, just want one again. I agree that there are better finished knives for less.

Site Supporter

Protech TR-5 Auto

I was at Blade HQ in Utah last week. While there, I saw this in the show case: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Protec...5-Blade--80677. It went home with me. I've only had it for a week but, I am impressed. I find it very comfortable to carry AIWB and extremely sharp. Good steel too. Best, ELN.

Auto knives are super fun and if legal I would have one for fun.....

OTOH autos are complex, expensive and the button is harder to find than a large hole or thumb stud. They often have a safety to avoid opening at the wrong time....

Quality cutlery is not pry-lery....get a small key-chainable pry tool.

A Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S30V is reasonably easy to sharpen and a very good to excellent EDC. Especially for about $100-$120. You could get two for the price of an Emerson.

If you would prefer more stay closed bias A Stretch 2 with a lock back is almost the same shape and size as a PM2. Both have very good blade shapes and handles for long and hard use.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    If autos are an option and you don't mind paying for a quality one, the the new Protech SBR designed by Les George is an awesome looking EDC style blade.

Food for thought: Emersons are pretty janky to be honest. They tend to be poorly finished and toleranced, use borderline obsolete steel, and have a weird combo of thick blade and obtuse grind. The paint they use on the blade and screws scratches and flakes off immediately.

How about a Spyderco Paramilitary 2? Even the basic model has better steel than Emerson’s 154CM. Better yet there’s a sprint run out there with FDE handle and S35VN steel that’s really nice. A PM2 is a vastly better design with better blade geometry, ergos, build quality, and value than any Emerson I’ve owned and it’s still made in the USA. I’ve always found the wave feature to be gimmicky and marginally useful but you can make any Spyderco “wave” with a zip tie through the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new edc folder. I have been carrying around a ZT0350TS for the last 5-6 years. Not a thing wrong with it, besides my sucking at sharpening recurves. I really just want a new knife in that general size. I had an Emerson Karambit years ago that I ended up dumping on eBay because it was the opposite of practical, but the construction was well thought out. I've been looking at the two Emerson's in the title and although vastly different designs, both excite me. Also, automatics have been legal in my state for several months now. I'm wondering if I should jump on that bandwagon while the getting is good. The Protech Strider collab has me very intrigued, as does the price!

Any experience with the above that the hive can comment on? Any opinions or recommendations are appreciated. Looking for stainless blades that aren't a bear to sharpen, 3-4", quality construction, and around $250 at the high end.
    Have you looked at one of these?:
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C237G/1192

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List