Thread: TDA Trigger Control Diagnosis

TDA Trigger Control Diagnosis

I know, diagnosing stuff over the internet gets tricky, but there are some things that are clear indicators of behavioral patterns. The pattern that I'm seeing is that somehow my DA presses seem to be more consistent than my SA presses. Examples from today:

Interesting that the SA groups are both larger and shifted left. I'm thinking it's got to be something to do with the shape /angles of the interface between my finger and trigger. However, the pattern doesn't hold at distance:

Anybody got input of something to change/work on?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

My personal opinion is you are focusing too much on groups with either DA only or SA only. What do your groups look like when you shoot pairs DA/SA? I hesitate to add the stuff below because it's based more off of my personal experiences with DA and SA systems. I'm sure some better shooters than me will chime in.

On your 25 yard DA targets it looks to me like you are anticipating a little bit. That's easy to do on really precise shots when there's lots of time to think about it. The close SA shots look like maybe you're not getting all of the slack out before you break the shot. It could also be a slight change in grip pressure or too much force into the trigger when you break the shot.

Both of the targets could also be a follow-through issue as in looking over the sights as the shot breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

Anybody got input of something to change/work on?
    Good group! Stop worrying about slow fire groups and focus on other shooting drills. Doubles, transitions, distance changeups, draws, reloads, etc.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-01-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Showoff!
    Ha Ha, you had me there for a minute. Oh wait.......you're serious.
    How to improve based on what you've shown us. Well, maybe adjust your expectations.
    If I left the range after that session I'd be struttin' around like a peacock.
    When I shoot TDA I concern myself with the trigger press transition between DA and SA based on the difference in trigger pull weight.
    Since you did ask, you might look at the possibility that you are, in fact, placing your trigger finger on the trigger differently based on the difference in pull weight between DA and SA.
    Other than that I got nothin'.
    Almost didn't reply. Thought you were funnin' us.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

What variations does the laser bore sighter show?
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I don't see anything unexpected. The difference in groupings by distance is to be expected based on pure trigonometry.

At 25 yds a shorter and lighter trigger is easier to consistently get good groups than a longer and heavier pull.

The grouping for the 25 yd DA shots are simply from disturbing the gun in the trigger pull from when you are on target visually until the round leaves the barrel.

What's the diameter of the black bullseye on that 25 yd target. If it's 9 inches or less I agree w/ Clusterfrack- move on to other tests. My only technique suggestion for the long DA shots is to tighten your support hand grip. Not knowing what gun you are shooting, is there anything that can be done to lighten the DA pull?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    What's the diameter of the black bullseye on that 25 yd target. If it's 9 inches or less I agree w/ Clusterfrack- move on to other tests. My only technique suggestion for the long DA shots is to tighten your support hand grip. Not knowing what gun you are shooting, is there anything that can be done to lighten the DA pull?
    IIRC, Ash is running a pair of 92A1s with TJIAB, skeleton hammer, 13# hammer spring. IOW, pretty light trigger with all the good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    IIRC, Ash is running a pair of 92A1s with TJIAB, skeleton hammer, 13# hammer spring. IOW, pretty light trigger with all the good parts.
    Yep, can’t blame it on the trigger, lol. What this is really about is trying to figure out 2 things:
    1. Why are my SA groups left of center and DA groups centered at 7yds?
    2. Why are DA groups better than SA groups up close, but SA groups better at distance?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Yep, can’t blame it on the trigger, lol. What this is really about is trying to figure out 2 things:
    1. Why are my SA groups left of center and DA groups centered at 7yds?
    2. Why are DA groups better than SA groups up close, but SA groups better at distance?
    I'll try, though I'm hesitant to diagnose remotely:

1. Because you're pushing too hard on your SA shots at close range - using DA "force" for an SA trigger weight
    2. Because up close you're pressing straight through without stopping in DA, but subconsciously trying to make the SA trigger pull happen when your sights are PERFECT - leading to a snatch. And, a snatch on a lighter, shorter trigger. At 25 yards, you're more conscious of the need for a near perfect trigger press for best results, so you're USING the lighter/shorter SA trigger pull to your advantage.

Of course, I could be WILDLY wrong. To test those theories, you'd have to TREAT both trigger pulls like they were the same (e.g. continuous steady pressure until the shot breaks) at all ranges and in both modes and see if your leftitis and larger up close SA groupings get better.

User Tag List