Thread: Level III SO Qualifying

Site Supporter

Level III SO Qualifying

After first round at Level III SO Qualify. I'm second from left. This was strictly marksmanship, not tactical. The three targets on my right are for retired LEO. I'm surprised the kid on my left didn't actually put a couple of rounds into my target. I feel pretty good considering having no training and how little lead I've put downrange.

Other parts of the training really pointed out how different things get when the manure hits the ventilator. The LEOs were putting out shots fairly quickly as though in a tactical situation. I was taking my time and hitting the target. The instructor made it clear this was an exercise in marksmanship, not tactical. I guess old habits died hard with them. I suspect that if we had moved to tactical shooting, their patterns would look about the same, while mine likely would have drastically expanded.

If I get into this profession, I'm going to need a LOT of training. The though of facing a hostile suspect with my current skill set is disconcerting. Lots of Tylenol last night. For what it's worth, the LEOs were grunting as bad as I was while on the mat, though their technique was much better.

Name:  L3Qual.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  99.4 KB
    Last edited by Bigguy; 04-01-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    One other note. With the secession of employment, my range time has ceased. I sort of knew this was coming, so I've been cutting back for a while. I dropped my membership in the gun club, about year ago, so no place to make noise. I've got about 500 rounds of Winchester White box ammo, so I grabbed the oldest (2 years old) for the qualifying portion of the certification. In retrospect, that wasn't a smart move. Out of 50 rounds, 2 were duds and one did something weird. I experienced a failure to eject. When I clear my weapon, I noticed that the case was blackened, as though some of the propellent had escaped and burned outside of the brass.
    If I ever had any though of using WWB as defensive ammo, that pretty well cleared things up for me.

User Tag List