Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Research on Stress mitigated/informed shooting doctrine and training methods?

Solid Research on Stress mitigated/informed shooting doctrine and training methods?

Okay, so I've been pondering a question lately and my initial attempts at doing research on this topic haven't been really good. I'll try to lay out the problem to situate the question in the subject.

We know fairly definitively that stress, of any sort, can and does negatively impact marksmanship. We also know that historically, speed of shooting has often been less problematic in many high profile cases than the ability to actually hit stuff. It's also clear that there are still a very wide variety of thoughts and methodologies on creating combat-stress resilient marksmanship skill outside of raw, authentic experience. We know that there have been people going all the way back to the lever-action wild west days who have talked very much about "people who can shoot fast but can't hit anything," sometimes spoken by people who, in the same fight, were able to land accurate shots. We also know that many of these people have, throughout the years, appeared to be the exceptions rather than the rule. This appears to hold true (without doing tons of exhaustive research) across a very wide variety of extensively different marksmanship training methods.

Among these methods we have the shooting practices (largely hunting and rifle oriented) of the 19th century, into Rex Applegate and Bill Jordan, into the FBI school, into Modern Technique, CAR, Quick Kill, Russian, and IDPA/USPSA/IPSC developed techniques, Throughout this timeframe, it still appears that, on the whole, regardless of training, skill in stress-heavy marksmanship remains more an exception than a rule, particularly when testing under conditions that produce unpredictable stresses.

We also know that in the end, basic marksmanship, regardless of the techniques, is aiming to achieve one thing, the efficient holding and breaking of a shot while the gun is oriented in the right direction without disturbing or throwing that shot off target. The hard part appears to be actually achieving this result with any degree of repeatability under conditions that are unpredictably less than idea.

There are some open questions, however. One particular niggling problem for me is that it is not at all clear in cases of success, that we adequately understand what the fundamental causal factors in that success were. We can point to the observable facts that define success, which usually boils down to having hit the opposing target at least once (often no more than once) in the right spot (often very small). Sometimes this occurs before and sometimes after being shot. We can also point to observed behaviors that contradict some prevailing theories, perhaps of most import, that one will not use their sights. It seems clearly established that at the very least, it is possible to use one's sights in a combat marksmanship scenario with good effect. However, it is also clear that there are other cases where this was not the case and marksmanship was still achieved. Moreover, it is also not clear what the fundamental causal factors were that enabled effective marksmanship in that moment, and this last point is the most disturbing to me, and one that I'd like to look into more deeply.

Many, many of the arguments over marksmanship center around speed vs accuracy, or around sighted vs. unsighted fire, but these feel very superficial to me, because we can find examples of repeatable success if we look hard enough in all of the above combinations. Emphasis on any one of the various doctrines that arise out of such discussions doesn't appear to be sufficient to adequate address the issue of predictable causal impact on stress-heavy marksmanship performance.

We also have a clear point that various types of competition have been used by good marksman throughout the years, but it is also clear that this isn't necessarily a common factor, either. It's also clear that high performance in competition is not directly correlated with high performance in other areas, though it may be considered an improving factor to many, though it's hard to find data supporting this other than anecdotes. However, it's interesting to note that it seems that competition itself, rather than any specific method of competition is a stronger predictor (even if it is itself likely weak). That is, throughout the years, good marksman under stress have come from all manner of competitions, and not just "action shooting" ones.

Now, given this preamble, the question I'm trying to get at is good, solid research that has been done, or the closest that I can find to that, addressing the specific question of the actual fundamental causal factors in successful marksmanship (and I'm focusing specifically on marksmanship) within dynamically and unpredictably stressful situations. It seems that this is somewhat sparse or hard to find. It also seems to me that there are a few prevailing pop theories:

1. Stress and its factors are unavoidable on a chemical level, therefore, training should center around techniques, such as stances, sighting techniques, trigger and grip techniques, and the like designed to minimize the effects of such stress on marksmanship.

2. Stress and its effects are unavoidable, therefore, training should center around repetition of high precision techniques of marksmanship until adequate subconscious proficiency is acquired. An implicit assumption here is that it is not the techniques that mitigate stress, but the competency of executing the techniques that does.

3. Stress and its effects are situationally avoidable, therefore, training should center around situation-based scenarios designed to inoculate the practitioner against stress to enable specific scripts to be accessed without stress in those situations or situations like them.

4. Stress and its effects are generally avoidable, therefore, training should center around stress inoculation coupled with traditional marksmanship trained to adequate skill levels.

There are two big axes that are given here which aren't addressed in the normal debates. The first is whether or not stress can be eliminated or reduced or not. This is oriented around the proposal that perhaps the reason people due well in some situations and others don't, including in stressful situations, is simply that one of them is stressed, and the other isn't. You see this in competition as an experience factor, but also when you hear people commenting that they need to "settle down." How much of success in "stress" marksmanship can be accounted for simply by the successful marksman not being stressed, or being relatively less stressed than average?

The second is the question of repetition/competency vs. technical reconfiguration. In other words, how much of successful "stress" marksmanship can be accounted for by competency with a technique, no matter how unsuited to a stressful environment, versus the technique's suitability for execution under the effects of stress. There are some people, for instance, who advocate the changing of techniques (this goes beyond just shooting) under stressed environments under the claim that the more refined or precise movements are too unreliable to execute under stress, while there are others who advocate more theoretically optimal techniques be trained to a high degree of competency rather than altering the techniques.

It's also not clear that these two factors are independent. what effect does technique have on stress, for instance, and what effect does competency have on stress?

A third question is the issue of specificity vs. cross-domain transfer of skill. Some people are of the mind that the human cognitive capacity is inherently situational, and therefore, cross-domain transfer is almost fundamentally impossible. Under such a model, training for performance under stress needs to be conducted specifically and with targeted context. Others argue for a model that points to the flexibility of the human adaptability, and suggest that optimize for raw isolated performance followed by periods of adaptive practice. Both assume adaptation, but one assumes that you should train situationally, and the other assumes that you should train generally.

Most debates and research I've seen on this topic doesn't adequately address any of these three questions, particularly as they might be combined into stress marksmanship. As a few examples of problematic statements:

1. "Competition is a very good stress test, therefore, methods that work in competition are good enough." It's true that competition is initially stressful. However, most competitions are predictable and can be optimized for through both technique adaptation and repetition. Furthermore, I believe there is evidence to be had that continued exposure to competition would likely reduce stress levels experienced. Thus, it is not clear that competition is an adequate standard without further evidence.

2. "You won't see your sights," "you can train to use your sights," "you need to see what you need to see." None of these address the issues of degraded performance. Many people train to use their sights but then cannot adequately shoot. Many people evidently cannot see what they need to see when stressed.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has to actual evidence or research that helps to address the issues of fundamental things that dictate successful marksmanship under these conditions as well as evidently sound and consistent approaches and methods for training to these factors.

Site Supporter
    Everyone feels stress, we're biologically hardwired that way. It's how we react to it that differs among people.

How we respond to stress is a big part of sports psychology research. My main self-identity is as an endurance athlete, mostly road cycling but some running in there too, so I've done some reading in this vein. The best explanation I've found of how the different parts of your brain react to stress is in this book. Oversimplified, you have three parts to your brain - the ancient one where all our automatic responses lie, the more recent rational one, and our personal hard drive that contains memories of how we've handled situations in the past. The ancient part is the most powerful because that's where our unthinking responses are, and it wages chemical warfare (neurotransmitters) to overcome the rational part...but there are ways to manage it.

Welcome to a big rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The best explanation I've found of how the different parts of your brain react to stress is in this book.
    Thanks for the link! I've also been able to do some reading on sports psychology and stress related studies, and it's a fascinating subject. Unfortunately, what I have found right now in my reading so far (and I'm welcoming all additional citations on this topic) doesn't address the question about the transferability of stress research from the sports psychology world to an "undefined stress" environment.

So, if I can refine my question a bit, I can't find research discussing the applicability of stress-informed training methods inside of a constrained sports environment to areas where stress is being induced by unpredictable environments that do not admit readily accessible patterns of training or skills application.

The research I've seen seems to indicate that the fundamental aspects of stress, such as the chemical reactions and the like, are more or less universal. Stress in competition is much like stress in combat or the workplace, at least on the lowest levels. And if you go up high enough, all stress derives from the same basic sources as well. The way in which the body reacts, and the overall cognitive science around that is being studied, and there are strides that have been made there as well. But the research also indicates that the application of highly technical skills is deeply situational. That "application of technical skill" is the middle ground where the stress takes on a situational context, but that context hasn't been so abstracted as to become the same thing again at a higher level. The question is about how you might train for environments that you cannot duplicate, with sources of stress that you cannot predict, that requires deeply technical skills that are known to degrade under stress. It's not a clear leap from sports science to this. One could try to make the argument, but it would have to be supported by some evidence, and I'm looking for some research into that applicability.

You can train within a specific sport to control and manage stress as well as to improve performance under stress in those specific environments, but it's not clear to me how that can be efficiently and effectively applied in cases where you cannot so readily duplicate the circumstances in which you need to perform. What I've seen is that even people who appear to have been highly trained and capable of dealing with lots of stress and the like within specific sports, are often unable to "transfer" that stress management to other areas/environments, and moreover, that the application of technical skill in those new areas often doesn't go well, even if there is some theoretical overlap in the skillset between one environment and the other.

I'm going to hopefully get to that book you mentioned soon, and I'm sure it will be a great read. However, if you know of anything that would address the transferability issue, I would really appreciate it. One response to this that I've seen elsewhere has been, basically, that it's not possible to do transference, and so the best you can do is try to find a set of things that are transferrable and train those as best you can and try to mimic or reduce the amount of situational adaptation that has to happen, so that you can hopefully reduce stress as much as possible. The problem with that comes when a situation initially feels similar but in fact turns out to be highly different than what was trained for. The result is often a very, very poor set of decisions with very bad outcomes.

Another aspect of this comes down to if there is any research that shows how one might be able to maintain extremely high levels of intense rational and problem solving skill while performing under high levels of stress, rather than just operating "on autopilot." There have been a number of situations that I have witnessed where you need a degree of automaticity, but with an extremely high degree of rational control that enables fairly high levels of thought, and my experience tends to indicate that not only are people rarely capable of such thought when in calm situations, but that such things appear almost impossible under times of stress. It would be nice to figure out if there is any research on this that can improve the result rather than just "giving up" on making good decisions in those cases.

Site Supporter
    In terms of research showing the ability to conduct high-level thought while under a threat to one's existence, I don't know of any. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I'm just some guy who's read something that's tangentally related to it.

One thing that makes me curious - if our primal brain has determined that we're faced with a literal existential threat, does it matter to said brain what the source is or if there are more than one? I think you might be making an already-complicated question more complicated.

Here is some of the other research I'm looking into right now:

Marko S. Laaksonen, Mats Ainegren & Jan Lisspers (2011) Evidence of Improved Shooting Precision in Biathlon After 10 Weeks of Combined Relaxation and Specific Shooting Training, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 40:4, 237-250, DOI: 10.1080/16506073.2011.616217

A. Groslambert, R. Candau, F. Grappe, B. Dugue & J. D. Rouillon (2003) Effects of Autogenic and Imagery Training on the Shooting Performance in Biathlon, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 74:3, 337-341, DOI: 10.1080/02701367.2003.10609100

Larue J, Bard C, Otis L, Fleury M. [Stability in shooting: the effect of expertise in the biathlon and in rifle shooting] Can J Sport Sci. 1989 Mar;14(1) 38-45. PMID: 2924221.

Arne Nieuwenhuys & Raôul R.D. Oudejans (2010) Effects of anxiety on handgun shooting behavior of police officers: a pilot study, Anxiety, Stress & Coping, 23:2, 225-233, DOI: 10.1080/10615800902977494

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attentional_control

Joan N. Vickers & A. Mark Williams (2007) Performing Under Pressure: The Effects of Physiological Arousal, Cognitive Anxiety, and Gaze Control in Biathlon, Journal of Motor Behavior, 39:5, 381-394, DOI: 10.3200/JMBR.39.5.381-394

ars-Göran Öst, Ulf Sterner, Jan Fellenius. Applied tension, applied relaxation, and the combination in the treatment of blood phobia. Behaviour Research and Therapy. Volume 27, Issue 2. 1989. Pages 109-121. ISSN 0005-7967. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(89)90069-7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training

Wuerth, Sabine & Finkenzeller, Thomas & Buchecker, Michael & Sattlecker, Gerold & Lindinger, Stefan & Amesberger, Guenter. (2015). Psychological influences on Biathlon shooting performance. 67.

Hall, Evelyn G., and Charles J. Hardy. "Ready, aim, fire… relaxation strategies for enhancing pistol marksmanship." Perceptual and Motor Skills 72, no. 3 (1991): 775-786.

Vicente Javier Clemente-Suarez & José Juan Robles-Pérez (2015) Acute effects of caffeine supplementation on cortical arousal, anxiety, physiological response and marksmanship in close quarter combat, Ergonomics, 58:11, 1842-1850, DOI: 10.1080/00140139.2015.1036790

Thompson, Andrew G., David P. Swain, J. David Branch, Robert J. Spina, and Carmine R. Grieco. "Autonomic response to tactical pistol performance measured by heart rate variability." The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 29, no. 4 (2015): 926-933.

Nindl BC, Leone CD, Tharion WJ, Johnson RF, Castellani JW, Patton JF, Montain SJ. Physical performance responses during 72 h of military operational stress. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Nov;34(11) 1814-1822. doi:10.1249/01.mss.0000037093.39080.3e. PMID: 12439088.

Paul C. Henning, Bong-Sup Park, Jeong-Su Kim, Physiological Decrements During Sustained Military Operational Stress, Military Medicine, Volume 176, Issue 9, September 2011, Pages 991–997, https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-11-00053

Fatkin, Linda T., and Debbie Patton. Mitigating the effects of stress through cognitive readiness. Ashgate Publishing Limited: Surrey, England, 2008.

Lieberman, H.R., Tharion, W.J., Shukitt-Hale, B. et al. Psychopharmacology (2002) 164: 250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-002-1217-9

McLellan, Tom M., Gary H. Kamimori, Douglas G. Bell, Ingrid F. Smith, Dagny Johnson, and Gregory Belenky. "Caffeine maintains vigilance and marksmanship in simulated urban operations with sleep deprivation." Aviation, space, and environmental medicine 76, no. 1 (2005): 39-45.

R Gillingham, AA Keefe, J Keillor & P Tikuisis (2003) Effect of caffeine on target detection and rifle marksmanship, Ergonomics, 46:15, 1513-1530, DOI: 10.1080/0014013032000121606

Lieberman, Harris R., Gaston P. Bathalon, Christina M. Falco, Charles A. Morgan, Philip J. Niro, and William J. Tharion. "The fog of war: decrements in cognitive performance and mood associated with combat-like stress." Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine 76, no. 7 (2005): C7-C14.

Vicente Javier Clemente-Suarez & José Juan Robles-Pérez (2015) Acute effects of caffeine supplementation on cortical arousal, anxiety, physiological response and marksmanship in close quarter combat, Ergonomics, 58:11, 1842-1850, DOI: 10.1080/00140139.2015.1036790

Frykman, Peter N., Donna J. Merullo, Louis E. Banderet, Karen Gregorczyk, and Leif Hasselquist. "Marksmanship deficits caused by an exhaustive whole-body lifting task with and without torso-borne loads." The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 26 (2012): S30-S36.

Copay, Anne G., and Michael T. Charles. "The influence of grip strength on handgun marksmanship in basic law enforcement training." Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management 24, no. 1 (2001): 32-39.

Tikuisis, Peter, and Allan A. Keefe. "Heat strain at high levels does not degrade target detection and rifle marksmanship." Aviation, space, and environmental medicine 76, no. 10 (2005): 963-969.

Hatfield, Brad D., Daniel M. Landers, and William J. Ray. "Cardiovascuiar‐CNS interactions during a self‐paced, intentional attentive state: elite marksmanship performance." Psychophysiology 24, no. 5 (1987): 542-549.

Yokota, Miyo, Larry G. Berglund, William R. Santee, Mark J. Buller, and Reed W. Hoyt. Predicting individual physiological responses during marksmanship field training using an updated SCENARIO-J model. No. USARIEM-TR-T04-09. ARMY RESEARCH INST OF ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE NATICK MA BIOPHYSICS AND BIOMEDICAL MODELING DIV, 2004.

Joel Osler Brende M.D. & Bryce D. Benedict B.A. (1980) The Vietnam Combat Delayed Stress Response Syndrome: Hypnotherapy of “Dissociative Symptoms”, American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 23:1, 34-40, DOI: 10.1080/00029157.1980.10404016

Chung, Gregory KWK, Harold F. O'Neil, Girlie C. Delacruz, and William L. Bewley. "The role of anxiety on novices' rifle marksmanship performance." Educational Assessment 10, no. 3 (2005): 257-275.

Willis, M. Paul. "Stress effects on skill." Journal of experimental psychology 74, no. 4p1 (1967): 460.

Coleman, Jean A. "Personality and stress in the shooting sports." Journal of psychosomatic research 24, no. 5 (1980): 287-296.

Tharion, William, Barbara Shukitt-Hale, Bryan Coffey, Manoj Desai, Shelley Strowman, and Richard Tulley. The Use of Caffeine to Enhance Cognitive Performance, Reaction Time, Vigilance, Rifle Marksmanship and Mood States in Sleep-Deprived Navy SEAL (BUD/S) Trainees. ARMY RESEARCH INST OF ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE NATICK MA, 1997.

Berka, Chris, G. K. W. K. Chung, Sam O. Nagashima, Adrienne Musacchia, Gene Davis, Robin Johnson, and Djordje Popovic. "Using interactive neuro-educational technology to increase the pace and efficiency of rifle marksmanship training." In annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York, NY. 2008.

Behneman, Adrienne, Chris Berka, Ronald Stevens, Bryan Vila, Veasna Tan, Trysha Galloway, Robin R. Johnson, and Giby Raphael. "Neurotechnology to accelerate learning: during marksmanship training." IEEE pulse 3, no. 1 (2012): 60-63.

Tharion, William J., and Robert J. Moore. Effects of carbohydrate intake and load bearing exercise on rifle marksmanship performance. No. GC-TR-5-93. GEO-CENTERS INC NEWTON CENTRE MA, 1993.

Yates, William W. A training transfer study of the indoor simulated marksmanship trainer. NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL MONTEREY CA, 2004.

Driskell, James E., and Eduardo Salas. Stress and human performance. Psychology Press, 2013.

Charles, Michael T., and Anne G. Copay. "Acquisition of marksmanship and gun handling skills through basic law enforcement training in an American police department." International Journal of Police Science & Management 5, no. 1 (2003): 16-30.

Tikuisis, Peter, and Allan A. Keefe. "Effects of cold strain on simulated sentry duty and marksmanship." Aviation, space, and environmental medicine 78, no. 4 (2007): 399-407.

Chatterton Jr, Robert T., Kirsten M. Vogelsong, Yu-cai Lu, and Gerald A. Hudgens. "Hormonal responses to psychological stress in men preparing for skydiving." The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 82, no. 8 (1997): 2503-2509.

Regehr, Cheryl, Vicki LeBlanc, R. Blake Jelley, and Irene Barath. "Acute stress and performance in police recruits." Stress and Health: Journal of the International Society for the Investigation of Stress 24, no. 4 (2008): 295-303.

Raphael, Giby, Chris Berka, Djordje Popovic, Gregory KWK Chung, Sam O. Nagashima, Adrienne Behneman, Gene Davis, and Robin Johnson. "Peak Performance Trainer (PPT TM): Interactive Neuro-educational Technology to Increase the Pace and Efficiency of Rifle Marksmanship Training." In International Conference on Foundations of Augmented Cognition, pp. 630-639. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2009.

Matthews, Gerald, Joel S. Warm, and David Washburn. Diagnostic methods for predicting performance impairment associated with combat stress. CINCINNATI UNIV OH, 2007.

Head, James, Matthew S. Tenan, Andrew J. Tweedell, Michael E. LaFiandra, Frank Morelli, Kyle M. Wilson, Samson V. Ortega, and William S. Helton. "Prior mental fatigue impairs marksmanship decision performance." Frontiers in physiology 8 (2017): 680.

Shipley, Peter, and Joseph V. Baranski. "Police officer performance under stress: A pilot study on the effects of visuo-motor behavior rehearsal." International Journal of Stress Management 9, no. 2 (2002): 71-80.

Kelley, Amanda M., Jeremy R. Athy, Melody King, Brad Erickson, Jim Chiaramonte, Melinda Vasbinder, and Adam Thompson. Think before you shoot: the relationship between cognition and marksmanship. No. USAARL-2011-23. ARMY AEROMEDICAL RESEARCH LAB FORT RUCKER AL WARFIGHTER HEALTH DIV, 2011.

Mullins, Linda L. "Cognitive Performance Assessment for Stress and Endurance." In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 925-929. Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications, 2002.

Delgado-Moreno, Rosa, José Juan Robles-Pérez, and Vicente Javier Clemente-Suárez. "Combat stress decreases memory of warfighters in action." Journal of medical systems 41, no. 8 (2017): 124.

Tikuisis, Peter. Target Detection, Identification, and Marksmanship Under Various Types of Physiological Strain. DEFENCE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT TORONTO (CANADA), 2006.

Tikuisis, Peter, Michael Ponikvar, Allan A. Keefe, and Sharon M. Abel. "Target detection, identification, and marksmanship during battlefield noise in a synthetic environment." Military Psychology 21, no. 2 (2009): 186-199.

Johnson, Richard F., Donna J. Merullo, Scott J. Montain, and John W. Castellani. "Marksmanship during simulated sustained operations." In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, vol. 45, no. 18, pp. 1382-1385. Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications, 2001.

Suinn, Richard M. "Visual motor behavior rehearsal. The basic technique." Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 13, no. 3 (1984): 131-142.

Suinn, Richard M. "Removing emotional obstacles to learning and performance by visuo-motor behavior rehearsal." Behavior Therapy (1972).

Zervas, Yannis, and Vassilis Kakkos. "Visuomotor behavior rehearsal in archery shooting performance." Perceptual and motor skills 73, no. 3_suppl (1991): 1183-1190.

Zahir, Nurfarah & Huda, Foujia & Sultana, Faria & Ahmed, Maruf & Saha, Soumendra. (2016). Visuomotor behaviour rehearsal in enhancing motor ability in soccer performers. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 7.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    One thing that makes me curious - if our primal brain has determined that we're faced with a literal existential threat, does it matter to said brain what the source is or if there are more than one? I think you might be making an already-complicated question more complicated.
    I think the research I have read indicates that it *doesn't* matter to the primal brain, as you call it, where or of what quality the threat is. At that level, it appears that if a threat is severe enough to trigger the physiological mechanisms that can be recorded and generally associated with acute "my life is in danger" levels of stress, what that threat is or how it got triggered doesn't really matter. In short, "fight or flight" stress is the same regardless of who or what is causing that stress.

As an example of the above, I saw an article that was doing tests of high performance typing (as in, typing on a keyboard in front of a computer at high speed), and they noted that under those periods of intense typing, the physiological response that was getting triggered matched the responses for people normally associated with acute stress and "fight or flight" modes. In other words, the keyboarding at speed task is, to some part of our brain, equivalent to "combat." This, at least on some level, helps to understand some of the deep ergonomic/stress issues that can be associated with high performance office/information work. But it demonstrates some of the extremes in our own bodies, where stress responses can be triggered from seemingly mundane sources, but have very profound effects.

In the above dump of research, three articles appear particularly interesting at first glance.

The Driskell and Salas book, "Stress and Human Performance" purports to be an anthology specifically addressing this question in terms of "intense, novel stress of limited duration". That appears to be right up my alley. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can make my way through that and whether it has anything good in it.

The Coleman article from 1980, "Personality and Stress in the Shooting Sports" seems very interesting for this part of the abstract, "Shooters also differ in the way they react to stress, and measurement of the coping abilities of shooters gives an almost 100% prediction rate of a shooter's potential success or failure at international level." This is really interesting, because it's making the claim that stress management is not just a factor, but *the* factor in differentiating high performance. This is fascinating to me because of the implications surrounding a very technical field where most people are deeply focused on the technical performance aspects, and many don't pay as much explicit attention to the stress/coping aspects.

The Regehr 2008 article on police recruits is interesting because the abstract appears to be contradicting a lot of the other research, when Regehr states, "The results of this study are promising in that neither physiological nor psychological responses impaired performance in a simulated acutely stressful policing situation." That seems very shocking to me, given other research on the matter, and makes me wonder whether this might be a statement more about the adequacy of various models of testing than anything else.
    Last edited by arcfide; 04-01-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    That's a pretty deep dive! I'm looking forward to seeing what you find.

@John Hearne has done some exceptional research into this stuff from a defensive shooting perspective. I think a reasonable amount of his material in here on P-F. He has presented on it multiple times at Tac Con. His presentation is what drove me to attend the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    There are some open questions, however. One particular niggling problem for me is that it is not at all clear in cases of success, that we adequately understand what the fundamental causal factors in that success were. We can point to the observable facts that define success, which usually boils down to having hit the opposing target at least once (often no more than once) in the right spot (often very small).

You raise excellent questions. However I think there are pretty definitive learnings available. I think Dagga Boy's reports were pretty clear about what were their success factors. And there is knowledge around from the body of "scientific" gunfighters from the SOF community that have distilled lessons from thousands and thousands of close range gunfights although one might have to dig a little for it. AFAIK Pannone and Paul Howe may be two of the more prolific of public distributors of such lessons. Aaron Barruga was on it strong until I believe he returned to some operational job and suspended the training business. There are others I'm forgetting right now.

And regardless what someone might say, a man on man close range gunfight is a man on man close range gunfight, regardless of uniform or geographic location. The fact there is are elements of a team in the vicinity is not a factor in many of the engagements that come down to killing this dude before this dude kills you.

Notable in both DB's and the highly experienced Mil person's learnings, marksmanship is an important component but only one of several.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-02-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So, I talk for 8 hours about this topic and related issues and could literally write a book.

From my digging, I have found very few research papers in the public domain (I'm sure they exist on the .mil side but aren't accessible) that directly address the topic at hand. You end up having to read related material and apply it to the question at hand.

I'd also point out that there are some guys who would have benefitted from the "not for public consumption" research and validated the findings extensively "in the field." These guys would be the Delta based trainers which would include Mike Pannone, Kyle Lamb, Chuck Pressburg, Pat McNamara, etc. All of these guys prefer an athletic fighting platform, tell you to put both hands on the gun, tell you to bring it to eye level, and tell you to manipulate the trigger so that the visual alignment of the gun is not disturbed. I consider this a clue.

The go-to book is "Sharpening the Warriors Edge" which was published in 1994. Published in 1994 means that research probably stopped in 1993. We have learned a lot since then and I would consider Sharpening the Warriors Edge completely discredited at worse to "only shows one possible path" at the most gracious. Based on my research I largely discount it. Do a quick Google search for "Kathy vonk heart rate research" and you will see the central underpinning of "Sharpening" being utterly destroyed. FWIW, I've also heard Bill Lewinski (Force Science) adopt Vonk's approach to the influence of heart rate.

There is an area where people have to make life and death decisions in short time frames and execute motor programs to save themselves. This area gets a lot more research funding and has a lot of useful things to tell us. I'm referring to the aviation community.

It is important to remember that "shooting technique" takes places in the larger ecosystem of how we respond to stress. The best, most approachable book on this topic remains Laurence Gonzales' "Deep Survival." Another good take on this topic is the first 97 pages of Ken Murray's "Training at the Speed of Life." While ostensibly a book on force-on-force training is an excellent overview, save the reliance on Grossman.

I wrote a chapter for Massad Ayoob's "Straight Talk on Armed Self Defense" that summarizes a lot of my work if you can't see the full eight-hour presentation.

While it is a long read, there is an older thread in which I used Pistol-Forum to flesh out a lot of my ideas. The whole thread is worth reviewing but this particular page has a nice aviation reference:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....729&viewfull=1

Finally, I tried to summarize my entire presentation in one slide and it looks like this:

I've appeared several times on Ballistic Radio to discuss this stuff as well:
    http://ballisticradio.com/2015/08/18...ust-16th-2015/
    http://ballisticradio.com/2016/09/27...mber-4th-2016/
    http://ballisticradio.com/2016/09/28...ber-11th-2016/
    http://ballisticradio.com/2016/09/28...ber-11th-2016/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List