Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Stranger in your backyard

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Not all dogs are attack dogs. Mine had big mouths and ferocious barks but would not have assaulted a trespasser. They would have changed his mind. Once again, their behavior in the house where my wife would have been would be another story.
    My conclusion from reading the thread continues to be that avoiding confrontation is best practice. Further, I agree that if the dog is in the house, let him stay there. My dogs were my children, and I would have valued their welfare over that of a trespasser who harmed one. It occurred to me that if a trespasser, innocent, guilty, stupid, or mentally off, sued because of dog bite, then a whole new can of bullshit will open. Animal control departments, insurance company rules, and legal defense expense become factors. And don't overlook quarantine costs for pooch. Or fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    For mere trespassing, or other low-level property crime, I would rather not push it, or escalate the situation. If “doesn’t comply” means that he just stands there, well, keep in mind that you are not defending anything, if he is not moving. You may well have the right, in your area, to forcibly eject him from the premises, with a reasonable level of force, and I will not tell you that you cannot exercise your rights, but just because one can do something, does not mean that one should do something. Plus, remember, he may not be alone. He may be the look-out for a whole team that you cannot see. Pick your battles carefully.

Again, I am not telling anyone that they should not exercise a right to defend property.

Some thoughts: If a trespasser/prowler fails to comply, by just standing there, he could be mentally ill. If a trespasser fails to comply, by just standing there, he may be acting as bait, to occupy your attention, while his accomplice moves to do harm. These things are not theoretical; these things happen.

Personally, well, I worked night-shift police patrol for almost 34 years, and one big reason I retired is because I aged-out of dealing with younger, more fit miscreants. I will probably not seek to physically engage someone committing a property crime, especially one who is koo-koo-loo-koo enough to just stand there. He may be ten times stronger, and on performance-enhancing chemicals. Even worse, a god, or demi-god, may have “told” him to act that way. I pay taxes; I will let the young bucks deal with it.

To be clear, this entire post is about mere trespassing/prowling. Again, I am not telling anyone that he/she/they should not exercise a right.

None of this is legal advice.

Of course, if the trespasser/prowler becomes violent, toward me or others, the equation changes. If he violently resists my local LEOs, I will go full warrior on him, with no PD policies to restrain me.
    Thanks for the feedback, Rex. By the way, you were a patrolman almost as long as I've been alive. I really appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Not all dogs are attack dogs. Mine had big mouths and ferocious barks but would not have assaulted a trespasser. They would have changed his mind.
    If it's not his first rodeo with dogs, or if he's not on meth, or if he's sane, then maybe. A family member had a large GSD that bit several friends and relatives. When the house was burglarized the guy subdued the dog and locked it in a bathroom without any injury to himself. If a dog isn't trained to fight you have no guarantee what it will do.

That aside, what's your plan if you send the dog out and he shoots it or beats it to death with a hammer?

I'm not going out to engage anybody and I'm not sending my dogs either. Like Rex G says, there are young deputies chomping at the bit.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Sending the dog from inside is a dumb idea.

If the yard-goblin hurts your hopefully beloved dog ‘in self defense’ what are you going to do?

Ignore it?
    Try to de-escalate and rescue it?
    Summon your inner John Wick and go all choreographed Hollywood?
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Summon your inner John Wick and go all choreographed Hollywood?
    I laughed.

Never mind Hitler. On P-F.com, as the discussion grows longer, the probability John Wick will be mentioned approaches 1.

Banned
    https://www.kktv.com/content/news/3-...508025301.html

Why I carry at home. Three armed juveniles attempting to enter homes less than 2 miles from my home
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I laughed.

Never mind Hitler. On P-F.com, as the discussion grows longer, the probability John Wick will be mentioned approaches 1.
    I laughed too... Very funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Something that is often lost on certain people is that there really are gray areas in life. There's a family that lives about 1/4 mile down the road from us, they moved in a year or two ago. They have a mentally handicapped adult son who lives with them who occasionally likes to wander off. If you didn't know the situation and were to discover him in your backyard, your first thought wouldn't be that he's mentally challenged, you'd likely think he was a trespasser looking to steal your lawn mower and gas out of your tool shed. It's not until you talk to him that you realize he's slow. His folks gave the people around here their phone number in case he sneaks off and we see him.

The common response to that will be that the parents should keep a better eye on him. While I don't disagree, it only takes a few seconds for a person to be out the door and down the road and it's not something that he does frequently. Imagine trying to give verbal commands to someone with his mental capacity, to freeze, to get on the ground, etc while you dial 911 and he gets scared and starts behaving in a manner that makes you think you're in immediate danger. If going back inside, locking the door, and calling 911 is an option, take it.

It's not just a matter of whether or not you'd be justified in shooting him at that point, but living with the fact you shot and/or killed a mentally retarded person who may not have been a threat until you escalated the situation because your only solution is a hammer and all your problems look like nails.
    I wish I could like this more than once, as this is probably one of the most valuable posts in this thread IMHO.

Everyone wants to war game some scenario of triumphantly repelling boarders, but not nearly enough consideration is given to scenarios like you’ve mentioned.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 04-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

We have a creek that runs about 50 yards behind the house. The point directly behind my house is about 1/2 mile from the road. Several years ago my wife informs me there are voices in the back yard.... I walked upstairs and walked out the master balcony. The voices were coming from the creek, and a handful of kids / adults wading through our property. I informed them they were trespassing and needed to leave. They made some bullshit comment about the creek being public property. Which is not true since it is a non navigable waterway, and I pay taxes on it. I informed them the Sheriff was on the way. Sheriff's deputy never showed up.

Another time, late at night, I heard what sounded like a deer being drug along the other side of the creek. I figured, here we go again. Within 8 minutes or so the K9 unit showed up and started sniffing around on my side of the creek. I believe the local Sheriff patrols 460 square miles of county, so it can be hit or miss based on priority.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    https://www.kktv.com/content/news/3-...508025301.html

Why I carry at home. Three armed juveniles attempting to enter homes less than 2 miles from my home
    Also a reminder of why a surveillance system is a good idea. The owner is now alerted. I really need to get a system. Thread search here I come.

User Tag List