Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger in your backyard

Send the dog

You did most things right: installed a security system that alerts you to trespassers; stayed inside rather than confronted; called police and waited armed. One (arguable) error: had to run to get your gun; in a truly bad situation, there may not be time.

And that's all you need to know for next time...

(And you don't "send the dog" any more than you send a bullet if you don't know what you're dealing with.)
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    And you don't "send the dog" any more than you send a bullet if you don't know what you're dealing with
    Don't want to get bitten? Don't jump the fence

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Don't want to get bitten? Don't jump the fence
    You're content applying potentially deadly force to situations that might not meet the legal or moral threshold to do so and are happy for everyone including any future DA's and their appointed investigators to know. Got it.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    “Can I help you?” from a window or door seems like a reasonable first step.
    Your post is reasonable, but I will take exception with what sounds like opening a door. I think that it is unwise to breach the structural line of defense for the sake of communicating with a solicitor, let alone a prowler.

I never open a door to anyone I do not know, and all doors are doubled (outward opening Andersen storm doors) and dead-bolted with reinforced jambs. Many models of cameras have two-way speaking capability directly from a mobile device.

If the lights coming on (at night) do not cause immediate departure the phone call should be occurring.

And that time you unleashed the hounds happened to be the time that little Sarah was chasing after her new kitten...
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 04-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

It would be good to take a picture of the person, whether it’s done discreetly or indiscreetly is up to you...

I've always wanted to put some strobes up connected to motion sensors. Kind of the same effect as when Jack Bauer was breaking into the underground black-site prison type strobes.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Most of us need more and better lights. All of us need a plan for such emergencies. I always go armed at home because doing so comforts me. I am no longer able to defend myself in any other way.

I think this: if I were in my back yard and encountered someone else, displaying a weapon without cause would be a mistake. Doing so might prevent him from leaving on his own. If he's nuts, it might enrage him. Remaining calm with appropriate body language and tone of voice might keep crazies from getting crazier.
    Displaying a weapon might make the other try to take it. If you pull it, you may have to use it. The other guy might leave and call the police and make you look crazy. If at all possible going back inside and calling the police is a great move.

If he kicks my door in, that's another thing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And that time you unleashed the hounds happened to be the time that little Sarah was chasing after her new kitten...
    In the middle of the night.....GTFO

User Tag List