Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger in your backyard

Stranger in your backyard

Almost ran into this the other night and didn't have a "tape loop" for how to handle it. How would you?

Got home around 8:30PM a few nights ago. It was dark outside. Went inside, got something to eat, and my phone buzzed. Turns out it was my home camera system picking up some guy in probably his 20's or 30's walking around my backyard with a backpack on. For context, my backyard is fenced off with one side of the fence being a bit lower than the others. But, you would not wind up in my backyard unless you made the conscious decision to be there. My street dead ends and my backyard has not historically been a cut through to get to anywhere else in the neighborhood. So, I'm not exactly sure what this guy was doing but I guess he had climbed over the shorter side of the fence to get to somewhere else? He was not a neighbor and I definitely didn't recognize him.

I ran upstairs, got my pistol, called the police, and stayed inside. Two officers came out and I explained what had happened. They took a look around, didn't find him or anything else and thought it was probably just some knucklehead trying to take an ill-planned shortcut. Nothing else seemed to be amiss but this got me thinking. I could have easily run into this guy, who I don't know, if I was taking out the trash, on my deck or whatever. Like I said, no one else should be back there and it's not like you'd accidentally find yourself in my backyard.

So what the heck should I do if I were to encounter someone back there? Hold them at gunpoint? I never contemplated a scenario like this before. How would determine if it's just some guy lost (possible but unlikely) or someone up to actual no good?

Following....

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Many years ago, a friend of my father saved his next door neighbor from being beaten to death by her ex. He was holding the man face down on the front lawn at gun point, waiting for the police to arrive. After a few moments, the man said "I'm getting up and leaving and there's nothing you can do to stop me. You can't shoot me or you will be there one to go to jail." The man then calmly got to his feet, brushed himself off and walked away. The man was right. There was nothing my father's friend could do to stop him.

If I were to encounter a stranger in my backyard, I would tell them to leave because I'm calling the police and let them know I would be filing a trespassing complaint against them.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

If I were to encounter a stranger in my backyard, I would tell them to leave because I'm calling the police and let them know I would be filing a trespassing complaint against them.
    Thanks for the feedback. I dont disagree that this is the best course of action if and only if it's someone with no ill intent towards you. Some people however dont fit that cirteria.

Banned
    The first thing that struck me when I read your post is there is no "running upstairs to get my pistol" and there is certainly no going out to take out the trash unarmed. I carry at home for just this reason.

Having said that, while I wouldn't have gone outside to confront the guy I think I would have done something to let him know I was aware of his presence. If nothing else keep an eye on him with the camera, turn on some floods and yell out the window "I know you're out there and I'm calling the cops."

ETA When I let the guy know I'd make sure that it wasn't random luck that I knew he was there. I would have made it clear that there was electronic surveillance on the house and he couldn't get in the backyard without tripping it.

The second thing is based on my experience doing security I don't do drawn out confrontations. I tell you to leave the property or I'm calling the cops one time and if you don't comply immediately I call.
    Last edited by Cypher; 03-31-2019 at 11:07 PM.

When in doubt, let them out (of your yard, your house, whatever). If they press an attack, then it's on, but otherwise, de-escalate that shit. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    At my house, I would light up the guy with the Surefire I keep by my backdoor. Other places I wouldn't go outside and I'd turn off the inside lights. I think "right" answer depends heavily on the neighborhood.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Shout from an upstairs window, “Can I help you?” That has gotten most to scatter. Then “Get out, I’m calling the cops.” Then just gotta wait for the cops.

They break into the house and come up the stairs then they get shot.

I shout, "Everybody want go heaven. Nobody wants dead!" in my best Jamaican accent.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I got some battery powered motion activated lights that I need to install. Ive also considered setting up general/landscape lighting that turns on automatically at night now that smart switches and LED lights aren’t too pricey.

User Tag List