Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Stranger in your backyard

It seems that a casual reading on this site would lead to a reasonable conclusion that quite a few people spend thousands upon firearms, ammunition, and related equipment.

Also, when discussions regarding equipage arises, an emphasis (correctly) is placed on the need for spending time and money upon training.

I think that another emphasis should be consistent made: the existing actual quite good performance of modern technology should mandate a full perimeter (and interior) wired or wireless observation/detection system, replete with lighting systems, for those who are seriously concerned with potential prowlers or intruders.

Being able to see, hear (and challenge if one desires), recording all, while remaining within the protected envelope seems to have zero negatives.

Site Supporter
    This is the pistol-forum, so you think the emphasis would be on such. However, there are various types of training. You can take pure shooting skills courses or SD oriented course. In those, there is quite an emphasis, on a well rounded approach to home safety.

It's a touch preachy to say that there should be an emphasis, as if we don't know this.

P-F is much better than the usual idiot stopping power post on most forums by folks who never go beyond the square ranch or the 'ranch' shooting at a rock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Something that is often lost on certain people is that there really are gray areas in life. There's a family that lives about 1/4 mile down the road from us, they moved in a year or two ago. They have a mentally handicapped adult son who lives with them who occasionally likes to wander off. If you didn't know the situation and were to discover him in your backyard, your first thought wouldn't be that he's mentally challenged, you'd likely think he was a trespasser looking to steal your lawn mower and gas out of your tool shed. It's not until you talk to him that you realize he's slow. His folks gave the people around here their phone number in case he sneaks off and we see him.

The common response to that will be that the parents should keep a better eye on him. While I don't disagree, it only takes a few seconds for a person to be out the door and down the road and it's not something that he does frequently. Imagine trying to give verbal commands to someone with his mental capacity, to freeze, to get on the ground, etc while you dial 911 and he gets scared and starts behaving in a manner that makes you think you're in immediate danger. If going back inside, locking the door, and calling 911 is an option, take it.

It's not just a matter of whether or not you'd be justified in shooting him at that point, but living with the fact you shot and/or killed a mentally retarded person who may not have been a threat until you escalated the situation because your only solution is a hammer and all your problems look like nails.
    The quoted points are critical.

My son has special needs, which includes Apraxia of speech. While he is doing better with speech now, he very often communicates by moving. It is not hard to see how, in the wrong situation, his actions could be badly misinterpreted. He is happy, friendly, loving, and a threat to no one.

We also have a neighbor with a son who fell off a roof, causing some mental impairment.

I do not keep anything outside my house that is worth more than the first hour of attorney time would cost if things go the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List