Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone do this?

Why would anyone do this?

The homeowner told AZFamily.com in a brief interview that he won't hesitate to defend himself again in a future break-in.

"If they come in... [they] better come in ready," the homeowner said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-h...-come-in-ready

Why would you ever talk to anyone from the press after a self-defense shooting? I just don't get it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    15 minutes of fame, "I was on TV" pride.

Perceived need to justify their actions to the community.

The equivalent of barking to protect your turf and look "hard".

Politeness and not wanting to tell a reporter no.

I always told my victims to not speak to the press. Some did anyway. It hurt a few cases and helped zero cases.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I remember clearly, as a young officer in the Navy, one of the first things we were told was to never make comments to the press. Later on I've seen and heard from others how their comments were edited and redacted in ways made the original context unrecognizeable.

Not sure how talking about it would make one seem "harder" or "tougher" since one actually did it.

Like you said, zero upside.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-31-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I remember clearly, as a young officer in the Navy, one of the first things we were told was to never make comments to the press. Later on I've seen and heard from others how their comments were edited and redacted in ways made the original context unrecognizeable.

Not sure how talking about it would make one seem "harder" or "tougher" since one actually did it.

Like you said, zero upside.
    I never talk to the press. I declined every interview request and if I had info pass along it was a written BOLO sent via the PIO office. It's funny now that I'm the sergeant because as a detective when a reporter asked me anything at the scene I'd tell them to talk to a supervisor. Now I tell them to find the lead detective and ask them. Pretty much the only thing I tell them is when there's no story. Things like "it's not a murder, guys, it's a natural" and then they leave. I don't lie about it, mind you, but if there's nothing to what they think they are there on I'll let them know so they move along.

As far as talking about it for the "tough" aspect, I suspect the idea is you broadcast your deed as a warning to others who might try it. Hence the analogy to barking. A broadcast to everyone in ear shot of your willingness to defend your turf.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Some people need to make a better habit of taking a pause, detaching from the present, and examine the options. It doesn't help that journalists make their careers learning how to break that cycle and get in your OODA loop.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It hurt a few cases and helped zero cases.
    Unless you are promoting something for monetary gain, you can take this statement to the bank in most endeavors. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Some people need to make a better habit of taking a pause, detaching from the present, and examine the options. It doesn't help that journalists make their careers learning how to break that cycle and get in your OODA loop.
    It's just so easy to say "no comment" in a continuous loop.

I think most folks just don't know better. They're confident they did the right thing (and often have) and as such, don't have any clue that they're better off shutting up. People like to talk about themselves. No different after a shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I always told my victims to not speak to the press.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    ...Later on I've seen and heard from others how their comments were edited and redacted in ways made the original context unrecognizeable...
    WAIT! You mean that the press may twist things to fit an agenda?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Banned
    I used to work for a security company that had the city contract in Colorado Springs. One night one of our guys was doing a walk-through check of the municipal courthouse and walked out the door right in the middle of a live shot from the local ABC affiliate. They stuck a microphone in his face and he started answering questions. I don't even remember what he was asked but he was terminated the next morning.

I would have been at work when it happened so I never even saw the interview but I remember the company-wide memo that they sent out and I took the lesson to heart.

User Tag List