2. Gun
    3. Sheets of white copy paper.
    4. Black marker or 2” black pasters.
    5. Tape measure.
    6. Shot timer.

Step one:
    Warm up

String 1:
    3 yards from a holster. Two shots in 1.0 seconds total.

Work this one in dry 3x first.
    Then live 3x.

String 2:
    7 yards from a holster. Two shots in 1.4 seconds total.
    Live fire 3x. Goal is 1.2 second draw and sub-20 split.

String 3:
    Put an additional sheet of copy paper with another 2” black center circle.
    So that the sheets are side by side with about a 2” gap between the white papers.

7 yard close lateral transitions from a holster.
    Goal is 1.2 draw, sub-20 splits AND transition = 1.8 par.
    Left to right twice, right to left twice.
    Feel free to work as many dry reps before the live ones as you like to lock down the cadence and tempo.

String 4:
    15 yard close transitions from a holster
    Goal 1.4 second draw with sub 0.40 splits and transitions = 2.6 par
    Same two paper setup as previous string.
    Same two runs left to right then right to left with as many dry fire runs as you like beforehand and in between.

Cadence should be even. It should feel like four even shots on a single target with just a coordinated lateral movement superimposed on it.

We will do this for February and then move on!!

@ssb
    @JCS
    @Moylan
    @Q5shooter
    @ViniVidivici
    @Mike C
    @Risto

This is a mainstay of my practice and I call it “rangefinding vision.”

I’ll get a sense of my spread and vision for a cadence.

I do this often.

This is a video from a couple years ago just showing the process.

I do this with every new competition gun.

Last edited by JCN; 01-29-2023 at 07:16 PM.

Philosophy

So as context, it’s super important to spend the time developing the speed and index of the fast 3 yard string.

But once you get that locked down and use it as the base draw on all your draws… you don’t really have to practice it much by itself.

What I didn’t want to happen is for people to stay with a slow base draw and never be able to improve on the subsequent vision refinement and mechanical requirements of harder shots.

If you don’t learn a base draw that’s mainly index with a little vision, you’ll never be able to build on top of that.

Many, many people dead end there. They’re slaved to the sights and never improve their index at speed.

So that fundamental base draw is really what we spent the last month training.

Building coordination and muscle strength.

If you weren't able to do much of that practice, keep doing a little extra 3 yard strings in dry and live. I often incorporate it into a 4 aces (draw two, reload two). That also develops a base reload that you can add vision on top of.

For people that were able to groove a fast base draw, now we add "extras." Transitions first. Later, gear changes and movement. Somewhere in between, reloads. But if you have the base vision at the different cadences locked in, you can isolate the other new additional parts added in to work their efficiency.

Make sense?

Did phase two dry just now, after warming up with 2nd to last official day of SWYNTS. The transitions were a bit rough but especially at 15 they evened out. 7 seems like it will take a little more effort for me to calm it down. This will be a great month! Hopefully will be able to do a live fire version of both drills in the next few days here.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Day 1 of phase 2 is complete.
    7 yard par is going to be the most challenging in live. I can do it in dry but my splits in live at 7 yards are a little above .20. I can do .20 splits on doubles so I know I have the recoil control for it I just need to apply it.

Quoting

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    So, I work in the criminal justice system and I think that initially biases me towards a lot of what certain trainers — forum member Dagga Boy comes to mind — preach. In broad strokes, my concerns as a self defense shooter are:

1) Accountability for rounds fired. Missing the target when my backstop is the people in the Wal Mart parking lot is suboptimal and potentially legally perilous.
    2) Completing the engagement with a minimal amount of rounds fired. To my line of thinking, this means placing the rounds in B8 sized targets on the human body. My experience has been that the more force is used (different from level), the more scrutiny arrives from the public, some law enforcement, and some prosecutors. Put another way, 60 stabs look worse than 3.
    3) Not “over shooting.” In other words, I want to avoid firing rounds after the threat has gone away. See 1).
    4) Having a core skill set (draw, first best shot, follow up shots, accuracy at speed) that is fast and accurate enough to matter. John Murphy discusses time vs. timing: you may have a 1 second window and a 1.5 second solution to the problem… which means that isn’t the time for you to use your 1.5 second solution, and you need to wait until you have a larger window. My goal is to minimize the instances where my solution is slower than the time I have available. Part of that is tactics (starting with a gun in your hand and waiting your turn is a hell of a lot easier than drawing and firing), but part of that is skillset.

—-

I don’t know that I personally buy the “C zone is still pretty effective” line he gave towards the end, even though I am certain he has far more experience applying lethal force than I do. I am curious how much this is informed by the fact that his primary weapon is a rifle, and rifle bullets at rifle velocities do some really cool stuff inside the human body that pistol bullets simply don’t do. From my own experience, I’ve met — or at least been in the same room with them — dozens people with marginal pistol GSWs. I’ve had the opportunity to view some of those marginal GSWs occur on video. Some result in people fleeing, but while what ASP calls the “FIBS” factor is a real thing, it’s been my observation that people tend to flee at the sound of gunfire just as readily. Others, the victim doesn’t appear to realize he’s been shot (and indeed, many testify in that manner). My own mindset remains that I cannot guarantee that somebody will quit once I inflict pain and injury (or “damage per second,” as he calls it); accordingly, I’m seeking to hold myself to more anatomically significant hits.

HOWEVER…

What I took from the podcast is that “slow down and get your hits” really means “in training, push the limits to improve and then dial it back to where the hits are acceptable for the situation.”

His discussion of the El Presidente drill and the strive for perfect accuracy leading to unrealistic (slow) engagement speeds resonates with me (~6min, ~11min). That is what I’ve been doing for years. I’m certainly not at the level as the average member of the organization this guy works at, but the point remains the same — I’ve been going at the speed I need to draw and hit the B8 at X yards and no faster; I’ve been going at the speed I need to get high 90s on The Test and no faster; I’ve been going at the speed I need to…. You get the point.

That has been my experience with the SWYNTS stuff: the hits mostly have been a bit less than what I’d prefer, but they’re not that bad (though I’d prefer smaller, an 8.5x11 sized paper is on the top end of what I consider a good target) and I’m seeing and doing things that I simply haven’t done before. Allowing myself to “fail” — by hitting something bigger than what I’m used to, or even by missing — has improved my performance. I saw this when shooting my normal drills after doing SWYNTS live.

I wrote about this in an AAR of a force-on-force class, but specific to using a RDS in that application, I distinctly recall being able to process more because the shooting process was simpler. I had less to worry about on the gun side, so I gave more of my attention to what was in front of me. This resulted in one scenario where I resolved the matter without gunfire, precisely because I processed that I was in a “may shoot” category, but not necessarily a “must shoot” category. I think this is the real benefit of SWYNTS for the defensive shooter: less time and mental process spent screwing with the gun = more time focusing on the aggressor’s actions, more time spent focusing on taking a difficult shot (think of the pace Jack Wilson shot that active shooter in the head at 15 yards in 2019), etc.

Dry firing before live firing has been hugely beneficial in my experience and I need to remember to incorporate more often. Every good training class I’ve taken does that, FWIW.

I remain concerned about the real world application of .20 splits. I think that’s highly dependent upon what some have called “processor speed.” The ability to tap the brakes during the shooting process remains important for me, and having done drills where the visual “shoot” stimulus changed during the drill (simulating “hey, he’s not a threat anymore”), I simply cannot make that decision at the speed of low .20 splits. Some guy who does Delta Force stuff all day may differ. However, the benefits from being able to fire a good, accurate pair of doubles seem like they’d still be beneficial because the skills used there (grip, trigger press at speed) are still applicable.

Quoting this because it’s so golden and very gratifying for me. It’s what I’ve been trying to explain to the resistant.

Basically if you don’t try it, you don’t know what you’re missing.

And if you never get to a certain level, it can be hard to understand what it is.

In talking about 0.20 splits in defensive use, I think the discussion @Clusterfrack and I were having regarding human limits of reaction time not changing with good shooters… it’s just they recognize cues earlier.

In experimenting more with this, fast people are deciding to make up a first shot miss with a third shot… they’re not reacting to a second shot miss with a sub-20 make up most times.

So in that vein, I would say that 0.20 doubles are when you’re confident you’ll have more than 0.40 of time (on a swinger, mover or your moving / transitioning).

I am not in LEO and really the only self defense situations where I would consider a sub-20 split is if they were very close and closing fast, knowing that I wouldn’t miss…. and one body shot alone would have low likelihood of stopping in the time frame I needed.

Or a situation where there was an active shooter with a long gun and it was hard to tell if they had armor… and I was close enough to reasonably not miss and definitely not hit someone else.

So unlikely that I would choose to go fast in almost every foreseeable self defense situation.

Which is partially why I usually carry a revolver.

Today at lunch I warmed up with the normal SWYNTS and then did the transitions at 7yds dry (I did not think to put up 15yd transition targets — this was more of a proof of concept). I actually made the 1.8s par consistently. I made a conscious effort to jump to the next target with my eyes so as not to overshoot it and that paid off. What I did notice was that my cadence sounded more like 1-2…3-4 than 1-2-3-4, but the movement itself felt like a pretty natural swing between the targets (i.e. it wasn’t a pair of doubles, transition, another pair of doubles, but rather one string). I’d have to do it live to say what the transition split really was — for all I know, it could have been inconsequential. Bottom line: saw the dot every time, made the par times. I’ll take that as a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I'll preface by saying I'm seeing and processing things visually with these drills that I never have before. I'm seeing what people talk about with micro corrections that happen subconsciously. I have understood what people meant but never seen it or experienced it to the level I am now.

EDIT

Second Run I felt I really dialed things in. The two 15 yard runs is where I really started to see some things visually I hadn't before. I wasn't over confirming and was seeing the dot streaking and landing.
    YES! Nice job. That’s the whole point. To improve mechanics so that the seeing becomes clearer and timing improves.

You’ll also develop confidence at different visual requirements.

For example @ssb if you wanted to hit a 4” circle at 3 yards you might use your 7 yard alpha confirmation.

If you wanted to hit a 4” circle at 7 yards you might use your 15 yard confirmation.

Later on I might add a 10 yard distance. But by having the 7 and 15 locked down you can choose the vision that corresponds to the problem at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    For example @ssb if you wanted to hit a 4” circle at 3 yards you might use your 7 yard alpha confirmation.

If you wanted to hit a 4” circle at 7 yards you might use your 15 yard confirmation.

Later on I might add a 10 yard distance. But by having the 7 and 15 locked down you can choose the vision that corresponds to the problem at hand.
    That tracks with what I saw yesterday.

I did almost an entire range session of doubles at various distances - 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards - using a lower A zone. I felt I needed to spend more time on my index before moving on. Pushing speed I had about an 80% hit rate for As and close Cs (within an inch or two and in the upper part of the body). I used my 356XL/Macro grip combo and 140PF ammo.

At 3yds I couldn’t break the 1 second mark to save my life yesterday, but I was fighting my cover garment somewhat (it was in the low 30s outside). Draws were in the 1.1 range on all runs, splits low .2s. Hits were all stuff I was fine with and I felt ok relying on index alone to make the shots, though I usually has some sight picture for the second round.

7yds was 1.2-1.25 for most draws, though I had a few draws where my jacket impeded things and those crept into the mid 1.3s. One thing I noticed is that a bad grip on the draw (due to the jacket) is something of a cascading error - I tended to mentally try to speed things up and ended up sending shots wide. I spent the most time at 7 and, apart from a few fumbled draws, was happy. Splits were pretty consistently .25-.27 here.

I tried 10 yards on my own and had no issues throttling the speed. Draws were in the 1.3s here, splits in the .3s.

15 yards, draws were in the 1.4s, splits anywhere from .4 to .5 depending on how much I felt my sights needed to be cleaned up. Again, happy with the performance.

I ran some runs of the Test which were passing but a bit lower than I usually do, with shots creeping into the 8 ring. I’. thinking I was getting tired after about 100 rounds of doubles. The first two runs were low 90s in around 6s, which is a bit faster than my usual pace. The third I throttled back to 7s and got a 97, all in the black. First round hits were around 1.5s on all runs, which is about .25-.30 faster than the usual amount of time I’d spend confirming for a scored B8 drill at that range.

Scaling back to 5 yards, I closed out my range session with a draw to a 3” circle (my headshot target) which was accomplished in 1.41s. As you described, I used the distance pace/confirmation to make the tighter shot up close.

@ssb YES!!!!

You’re getting it.

I love that you’re experimenting and adapting the concept and learning and testing and observing on your own. That is skill growth, and will serve you well in the long term, far after this exercise is done.

See how when scaling the vision you intuitively know what you’re looking to see… the sights holding steady within the scoring zone or allowing more slop for speed if the target is large enough or close enough. That is the name of the training. See what you need to see.

Also, notice the legacy trainers don’t understand that you were not just going to go hosing your 3 inch target because you practiced a different speed at that distance on a larger target… you are shooting to vision, and that automatically adjusts the speed based on the requirement at hand.

Also, notice that you were able to scale it using vision to the 10 yard target without difficulty. This is the entire point of shooting to vision rather than just memorizing a cadence and using it without vision. You literally will be able to scale for any distance and target. Now the mechanics will need work to be reproducible, and you may constantly be growing and adjusting your visual and mechanical refinement, but the concept holds.

Also also… you have developed better mechanics which is speeding up your first shot without compromising hits.

Start dry firing Phase two with transitions. Transitions are almost purely a dry fire skill.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-05-2023 at 07:04 AM.

User Tag List