Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense .308?

Home Defense .308?

I live in Baton Rouge and if you do, too, or in Prairieville you probably do not have enough property to contain a .308 Win bullet. And BTR, LA really isn’t gun friendly.

A .223/5.56 with self-defense ammo is fine. So is. 12 gauge and 9mm.

Keep the SCAR Heavy and get a SCAR Light. Or and AR-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 04-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Not trying to be rude but I would think if the recoil of a .308 is ok; then a 12 gauge would work too. If you don’t want to pump; consider a berreta 1301 or a benneli M2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's not particularly interesting,
    Actually, it would be; for me at least, even if I have no understanding of all the coding I assume is involved.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It's not coding issues, but rather mostly "interesting" ("odd" is probably a better word) examples of human nature/psychology.
    Which is exactly what would interest me :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by BatonRougeTiger View Post
    I’m glad to know it was just pending moderation, I thought my phone was on the fritz! Anyway no worries, I’m sure you have a lot to deal with. Thanks for what you do.

If the 5.56 duty loads really are good incapacitators, I guess a short AR with a can would make more sense and be more practical. Still, I do plan on stocking up on the Remington .308 duty/HD loads.

Why were the older 5.56 loads considered bad at incapacitating? I assume the 5.56 creates more effective disruption than, say, a .45 Auto JHP pistol load, and that’s widely considered to be effective. If the 5.56/.223 duty load is significantly better than a .45 pistol, that should be good enough for me.
    I guess let's start with where you read about complaints on 5.56 terminal performance? In the beginning (Vietnam) there were people upset about giving up .30 caliber for the .223. Mostly just people being people and resistant to change. My dad's first tour in VN (66-67) was with the 101st and he told me the VC/NVA were afraid of getting hit by our 5.56 because of the wounding. In fact, the Soviets dropped 7.62x39 (AK-47) and went to a 5.45 (AK-74) high velocity round after seeing how our 5.56 performed.

In Somalia there were complaints about lack of wounding or terminal effects but that was due to the newer SS109 bullet with the tungsten penetrator. It turned the bullets into small icepicks that didn't cause the level of damage needed for quick results. There was also a very misunderstood incident several years ago (I think in PA) where people posted about a LE shooting where 40gr 5.56 bullets only penetrated a couple inches. That story still makes the rounds but has been thoroughly debunked. It was unqualified people misreading the ballistic results and autopsy.

Yes, a rifle round is going to be better than a pistol round every time for wounding. I'm not sure what you mean by the 45 is widely considered to be effective. Handguns and rifles are not even in the same league when it comes to terminal ballistics. All handgun calibers suck for stopping aggressive people. Most people shot with handguns live - even the mighty 45 or 357mag.

Get some 5.56 loads off Doc's list and don't look back.

User Tag List