Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did California’s High Capacity Magazine Ban Just End?

Did California’s High Capacity Magazine Ban Just End?

Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are “arms.” California Penal Code Section 32310, as amended by Proposition 63, burdens the core of the Second Amendment by criminalizing the acquisition and possession of these magazines that are commonly held by law-abiding citizens for defense of self, home, and state. The regulation is neither presumptively legal nor longstanding. The statute hits at the center of the Second Amendment and its burden is severe. When the simple test of Heller is applied, a test that persons of common intelligence can understand, the statute fails and is an unconstitutional abridgment. It criminalizes the otherwise lawful acquisition and possession of common magazines holding more than 10 rounds – magazines that law- abiding responsible citizens would choose for self-defense at home. It also fails the strict scrutiny test because the statute is not narrowly tailored – it is not tailored at all. Even under the more forgiving test of intermediate scrutiny, the statute fails because it is not a reasonable fit. It is not a reasonable fit because, among other things, it prohibits law- abiding concealed carry weapon permit holders and law-abiding U.S Armed Forces veterans from acquiring magazines and instead forces them to dispossess themselves of lawfully-owned gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds or suffer criminal penalties. Finally, subsections (c) and (d) of § 32310 impose an unconstitutional taking without compensation upon Plaintiffs and all those who lawfully possess magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds.68
    Accordingly, based upon the law and the evidence, upon which there is no genuine issue, and for the reasons stated in this opinion, Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment is granted.69 California Penal Code § 32310 is hereby declared to be unconstitutional in its entirety and shall be enjoined.
    Just read this. MrGunsNGear has a video on his YT about it. Here is a link to the ruling

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...ntiffs-MSJ.pdf
    Last edited by Virtuosity Student; 03-30-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Let me know if you find a retailer willing to ship to CA - most are waiting and seeing. Meanwhile Newsom/Becerra are plotting their appeal...

Rainier Arms and Palmetto are throwing the doors open. I think they know the window is limited.

That said, it really sounds like it's possible this could be a permanent win, since the 3-judge panel it'll go back to if appealed is the same one that ruled against Becerra in the first place. Then the antis have to gamble: take the case to SCOTUS where it could crash the whole scheme nationwide, or take the L and let New England antis hold what they've got until someone pushes through a case in another circuit, loses, and appeals it to SCOTUS.

At least, that's my understanding of the current situation.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    That said, it really sounds like it's possible this could be a permanent win, since the 3-judge panel it'll go back to if appealed is the same one that ruled against Becerra in the first place. Then the antis have to gamble: take the case to SCOTUS where it could crash the whole scheme nationwide, or take the L and let New England antis hold what they've got until someone pushes through a case in another circuit, loses, and appeals it to SCOTUS.

At least, that's my understanding of the current situation.
    I hope you're right, but I remember Peruta v San Diego being a 2-1 win in the 3-judge 9th circuit panel, but then Kamala Harris appealed and it wound up an 8-3 loss en banc. It was then appealed to the SCOTUS but they declined to hear it (Gorsuch & Thomas disenting).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-31-2019 at 01:21 AM.

So all of section 32310 was enjoined, but it looks like technically 32390 is still on the books. It says the sale/importation of a large capacity magazine qualifies as a nuisance subject to 18010. The good news is 18010 does not specify any penalty aside from a district attorney filing to enjoin further import/sale.

That's my lay understanding...

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    So all of section 32310 was enjoined, but it looks like technically 32390 is still on the books. It says the sale/importation of a large capacity magazine qualifies as a nuisance subject to 18010. The good news is 18010 does not specify any penalty aside from a district attorney filing to enjoin further import/sale.

That's my lay understanding...
    It’s incredible to me that 32390 exists in the first place. Apparently states get to regulate interstate commerce.

Site Supporter
    You know what in my opinion is one of the most important follow-up questions to this?

Who supported this case?

The NRA? SAF? GOA? NRA-ILA?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    You know what in my opinion is one of the most important follow-up questions to this?

Who supported this case?

The NRA? SAF? GOA? NRA-ILA?
    It’s an NRA/CRPA supported case. Most firearms related litigation that NRA is involved in goes through ILA. The main exception would be cases supported by the Civil Rights Defense Fund. Because litigation can be paid with (c)(3) dollars, CRDF is a fund specifically for litigation.

Reposted from the other thread by me

IANAL

AFAIK, the CA FFL dealers with a “High Capacity Magazine” permit are still bound to it as there’s supposedly writing in there that says something to the effect of “only selling to qualified Leo.”

Supposedly buying/selling privately, importing from out of state, possessing and using are legal as far as I have been told from good sources.

IANAL

This is a great win, but the fight is obviously still going.

User Tag List