Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some feedback on this j-frame please...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    If utility is your goal current production revolvers may work for you, if you're lucky. If pride of ownership is important you better shop the used market for your next revolver.

Dave
    You hit it right on the head. I have a 617 on order right now. I wanted an old 18 but pretty scarce unless you are willing to buy off GB sight unseen ant a pretty high price so I decided to take a chance on a new one. The new ones usually function at least.
    I have 4 newer S&W revolvers. 2 have gone back on warranty, 1 has a defect but I'm living with it. #4 works fine, totally utile if not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    You hit it right on the head. I have a 617 on order right now. I wanted an old 18 but pretty scarce unless you are willing to buy off GB sight unseen ant a pretty high price so I decided to take a chance on a new one. The new ones usually function at least.
    I have 4 newer S&W revolvers. 2 have gone back on warranty, 1 has a defect but I'm living with it. #4 works fine, totally utile if not pretty.
    If that used market gun goes down the factory cannot fix it if they don't have the parts for it.

Pride of ownership comes second to functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If that used market gun goes down the factory cannot fix it if they don't have the parts for it.

Pride of ownership comes second to functionality.
    Used to be a good gunsmith could make the part if he had something to use use as a guide. I think what we have now is mostly armorers. That's code for a parts changer.

I have a 625-8 I purchased new. I won't be buying anymore new S&W revolvers.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-05-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Used to be a good gunsmith could make the part if he had something to use use as a guide. I think what we have now is mostly armorers. That's code for a parts changer.

I have a 625-8 I purchased new. I won't be buying anymore new S&W revolvers.
    I have a late 625JM. It's pretty ugly, rear bbl face has a big dip in it, yeah- dip, never seen anything like it. It had blemishes in the finish when i got it, had to return it to have the extractor replaced, I complained about the dished area in the rear bbl face but they just ignored that.
    NOW for the best part, it shoots like a house afire, it's a great shooter. I've shot thousands of rounds thru it, the chambers aren't right, you have to use moon clips, the chambers aren't cut to headspace on the mouths of the cases. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy gun.
    In spite of being a real messy gun, it shoots very well. It has pretty tight chambers, tighter than any of my 5 1911 guns so ammo has to be pretty well to factory spec.
    I can't wait to get the 617 and find out how it turns out..............................

User Tag List