Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some feedback on this j-frame please...

Some feedback on this j-frame please...

Note this photo. Looks like a problem with the front sight and some damage to the muzzle crown, agree? Could I have my gunsmith recrown that? Not sure what's the deal with that dovetailed sight. Is that small amount of lift off the top of the barrel normal?

Name:  pix771479707.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by Speederlander; 03-30-2019 at 06:38 PM.

That muzzle could easily be recrowned. Dovetailed sights displaying a gap beneath are real common now days, not just with S&W. It's much easier and quicker to install front sights like that because the factory does not have to worry about a closely fitted sight scraping the top of the rib and doing cosmetic damage during installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    That muzzle could easily be recrowned. Dovetailed sights displaying a gap beneath are real common now days, not just with S&W. It's much easier and quicker to install front sights like that because the factory does not have to worry about a closely fitted sight scraping the top of the rib and doing cosmetic damage during installation.
    Perfect, thanks!

Perhaps it is the angle of the photograph but the yoke fit in that picture looks less than ideal.

Site Supporter
    Yoke gap is typical from what I have seen. The acid test is once fitted does yoke allow permit chambers to line up with forcing cone when tested with range rods.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    On my GP MC, I bedded (filled) under the front sight gap with the black Devcon epoxy that's preferred by many for bedding rifles. May be a PITA if I ever want to change sights, but with the adjustable rear, I'm not expecting to.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Folks, S&W does not build them pretty like they did back in the day. But neither does Ruger, Colt quit til recently, don't know what their's look like.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    Folks, S&W does not build them pretty like they did back in the day. But neither does Ruger, Colt quit til recently, don't know what their's look like.
    If utility is your goal current production revolvers may work for you, if you're lucky. If pride of ownership is important you better shop the used market for your next revolver.

Dave

Attachment 36915

FWIW this is how mine looks after having Gemini Customs perform an executive package minus porting. The package includes "crown barrel".
    Last edited by SD; 04-04-2019 at 04:20 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just realized the gun in the OP is a 632, not a 640. Nice!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List