Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip screw help needed

Update. Gun won't be ready until next week. New bushing(s) arriving on Friday or Saturday. They are staked on the backside. He did try drilling out the screw. I don't know if he bunged up the threads on the bushing, and honestly, I don't care. My conclusion was that more likely than not, the bushing would have to be replaced. So the fact that I was right makes the delay and minor extra expense reasonable.

He'll probably do this automatically as a "best practice,", but make sure that the new bushings are staked after installation.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-03-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Grip screw help needed

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Dorsai, thanks for your posting on this issue, and how you're using your gunsmith to resolve.

This is the main reason why I now preferentially stick with slotted screws; the heads are intrinsically stronger, and if I need to perform a field-expedient screw tightening, I'm much more likely to have the necessary tool on hand.

Best, Jon
    With torx screws if they get stuck or stripped, I just use a mallet and GENTLY tap a screwdriver bit into the screw, one size bigger, and then remove the screw. That I learned from YouTube.

But I just bought Vampliers (small and medium sized), which can remove a screw if it is not recessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 04-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    With torx screws if they get stuck or stripped, I just use a mallet and GENTLY tap a screwdriver bit into the screw, one size bigger, and then remove the screw. That I learned from YouTube.

But I just bought Vampliers (small and medium sized), which can remove a screw if it is not recessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Wasn't an option. The head twisted off of the shaft. Yes, that sounds painful and in a sense, yes it was. There simply wasn't enough to grab and try to unscrew it. Lord knows I tried.

You could probably have backed it out with a little chisel. If the bolt isn't bottomed out it won't be tight.

Buy slotted grip screws and go in peace.

Final report. This includes some information that might be useful for others as well. I picked the gun up today and the smith advised me he had to mill the bushing to a lower height because apparently Wilson used lower height bushings. Turned out to be a different story and I don't fault him for an error. He didn't charge me for the extra work. If you search online for Beretta 92 grip screw bushings, you'll find essentially two selections, one low, one high. But they both say Beretta 92.

Beretta M9 / 90 Series Grip Screw Bushing, Blued (this is the low one)
    Code: C56756
    Product Description
    •••••
    Description: Beretta M9 / 90 Series Grip Screw Bushing, Blued. This matte blued steel bushing inserts into the frame to supply threads to the grip screw, and will fit Beretta M9, M9A1, M9A3, 92 and 96 pistols as well as Beretta 92 and 96.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
    Beretta 8000 / 84F / 92 & 96 Series Grip Screw Bushing (this is the high one)
    Code: C50731
    Product Description
    •••••
    Description: Beretta 8000 / 84F / 92 & 96 Series Grip Screw Bushing. Fits Beretta 8000, 84, 92 Series and 96 series pistols

So if you ever have to replace a bushing, make sure which size you need. And I'm going to put in a plug for my smith. I've had him do other work in the past and I'll have work for him in the future. He specializes in the older stuff. You may have seen him before, he was a contestant on "Master of Arms".

Brian Clark
    https://www.gundoctor-nevada.com/
    (702) 486-5409

Unfortunately the Beretta Torx grip screws suck. They break off there & strip out way too easily. I broke one off the same way years ago. Local gunsmith removed it for me. Now I use the ones from Hogue. They are just stronger. I’ve never broken one of those in the 9 years I’ve been messing with Berettas.

User Tag List