Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip screw help needed

Grip screw help needed

I purchased a set of hex head grip screws from Beretta. When installing them, suddenly the head broke off of one leaving the threaded portion in the bushing. Sheared off almost flush with the top of the bushing. How the hell do I get it out? There isn't enough for a pair of needle nose to grab. I've tried forceps, even wire cutters, hoping I could get a grip and so far, nothing has worked. Thoughts, wishes, prayers, curses, voodoo, etc. are welcome.

https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-...-pc-61981.html

You might try a screw-extractor (try the smallest one in the set).

Another method involves "super gluing" a rod to what's left of the screw, being careful to not get any glue off-to-the-side-getting-into-the-threads, then unscrewing the rod & screw. I don't have high-hopes for this method from your problem's description.

Here's yet another idea of using a left-hand/reverse-direction drill bit for the drilling, which may get the leftover screw out even before getting to use the screw-extractor:
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10038A-...gateway&sr=8-4
    Last edited by L-2; 03-30-2019 at 03:35 PM.

If there is enough thread sticking out on the inside try a set of needle nose locking pliers try to unscrew it from the inside of mag well.
    Last edited by Tim92G; 03-30-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Grip screw help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    I purchased a set of hex head grip screws from Beretta. When installing them, suddenly the head broke off of one leaving the threaded portion in the bushing. Sheared off almost flush with the top of the bushing. How the hell do I get it out? There isn't enough for a pair of needle nose to grab. I've tried forceps, even wire cutters, hoping I could get a grip and so far, nothing has worked. Thoughts, wishes, prayers, curses, voodoo, etc. are welcome.
    There are drill bits for stripped screws but this seems small for what I have ever used.

A tricky way is to epoxy something to it and move it that way, but it takes a lot of finesse.

If there is still a piece sticking out there are these things called Vampliers.

I’d take it to a gun smith, if you can’t find a bit for something that size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 03-30-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't decided yet, but my top idea is to take it to the gunsmith. I considered the tap, but the threaded portion is just too thin. I think I, or a gunsmith that I pay to do it right and absorb the liability if he doesn't, will have to carefully saw a slot in the end to match the slot in the bushing. A small screwdriver might be able to unthread the screw portion. Alternatively, unscrew the bushing (right or left hand thread on those?). Maybe the screw can be removed and the bushing re-used. Worst case scenario, a new bushing.

However, I am still open for suggestions. Hmm, I bought my son a wand at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Maybe the Screwus Extractus spell will work.

Site Supporter
    Call a small machine shop to see if one of the guys will remove the screw. If not, ask if they know one that might. This way a potentially fumbled fingered person in a gun shop won't be marring your pistol's finish.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Old 1911 trick: get a bit slightly smaller than the screw and drill it out. The rest of the screw should fall out of the bushing. Works much better with a drill press - trying this with a cordless drill is a good way to mess up your bushing, but doable with a steady hand.

That’s a “fix it today” trick. The easiest way to do it is just remove and replace the entire bushing, but if you don’t have one you gotta wait a couple days ordering spare parts.

I took it to my local gunsmith. He'll have it for me tomorrow. We shot the shit for awhile today while he worked on it. He wasn't able to get it finished as it wasn't cooperating. Which reinforced my decision not to try and start drilling myself.

Can the bushing just be replaced?

Dorsai, thanks for your posting on this issue, and how you're using your gunsmith to resolve.

This is the main reason why I now preferentially stick with slotted screws; the heads are intrinsically stronger, and if I need to perform a field-expedient screw tightening, I'm much more likely to have the necessary tool on hand.

Best, Jon

User Tag List