Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun show snag here in RVA

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If memory serves (and sometimes it doesn't ) it was a 158-grain +P LSWC.
    I'd bet on it

When I read the thread title I thought you had a problem (snag) buying a gun. No problem here. Congratulations on a good "snag".

Congratulations on a great find! A 3” NY-1 is on my list of guns to buy without hesitation if I come across one in decent shape at anything that might be considered a lower price than normal.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I saw that one, glad it went to an enthusiast. Great price too considering that dealer.
    Adam

Paging @Mas...
    Revchuck38, I'm afraid I have failed you. You may be right, but I don't remember NYPD going to +P .38 Special until about 20 years ago, circa 1999, when they replaced 9mm ball with 124 grain +P Gold Dots and got Nyclad 158 grain SWCHP for the grandfathered .38s. I believe the Nyclad was +P, and the subsequent load, Gold Dot .38 Special 135 grain, I'm sure was +P. Prior to that I think the 158 grain SWC was standard pressure. They went to the 9mm for all new hires circa 1993, so the .38 Special revolvers would likely have been ordered prior to that.

I'm working on old memories, though, and am on the road teaching, far from my research materials, so I just can't be sure.

Might want to give a shout-out to SLG, who I'm sure would know; he might still be lurking and able to respond by PM even though he doesn't seem to post here anymore.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Not Mas, but IIRC, NYPD issued 158 gr LRN standard pressure until they switched to semis, then started with 9mm FMJ, because "hollowpoints EVIL"

Site Supporter
    @Mas - thanks! As a geezer, I can vouch for the hassles recurring bouts of CRS bring on.

This is correct. I remember this load from when I lived in NYC. I also remember the late firearms instructor Pat Rogers who was an MOS with the NYPD mentioning this load. It wasn't until the NYPD switched over to autos and later authorized hollowpoints for them that they authorized hollowpoints for revolvers. That was in the 1990s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Not Mas, but IIRC, NYPD issued 158 gr LRN standard pressure until they switched to semis, then started with 9mm FMJ, because "hollowpoints EVIL"
    Negative. Not sure when they made the switch from LRN (late 70s or early 80s) but mid 80-90s NYPD 38 special ammo was definitely 158 grain plus P lead semi wadcutter solids. Not LRN. The plus P and LSWC bullet shape were the answer to early calls fro hollow point ammo, magnum revolvers etc.

NYPD finally went to autos for new officers in 1994. They were supposed to use 10 round mags but went with full 15 round capacity at the last minute. The initial duty ammo was Winchester USA white box 115 FMJ. They switched to 124 grain +P gold dots 2 or 3 years later after a few “shoot throughs” and other negative outcomes related to the FMJ.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-31-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Very nice.

When testing loads make sure the overhead light isn't right on your front sight

I've found 5.2 of unique to be a very accurate load in all my k frames and looks like it's pushing 1000fps with 158gr bullets.

What do you think you'll end up with in terms of grips? Those wood grips look very nice.
    Last edited by 03RN; 03-31-2019 at 07:30 AM.

User Tag List