Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite vacation destinations?

Why would they jack off your sidekick? Well, at least he's happy.

B_C

Hilton Head Island

The last family trip we made, before the kids started dispersing to college and jobs, was to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota and Mt. Rushmore and Wall Drug in South Dakota.

I had been to Rushmore and Wall Drug as a kid and wanted to show them to my kids.
    We also followed the Lewis & Clark Trail off and on. And visited the fort that Custer left from to head for the Little Big Horn. My wife got to play Mrs. Custer's square piano at the fort.

We been talking about going back since we got home.

I would also like to see Battle Road in Lexington and Concord. Ironic that the state where the "embattled farmers" fired "the shot heard 'round the world" has such stupid gun laws these days.

I know I sound like a travel agent here but South Africa is a great holiday destination. Most of the plus points of an African holiday but with a (somewhat) first-world infrastructure. Excellent hunting and game viewing (no, we don't have lions walking in the streets.)

Cape Town is a beautiful city. Lots to see and do. Good wine, shark diving etc. The Rand/$ exchange rate means a fairly decent priced holiday. I live in Johannesburg (and I love it) but its a shithole for tourists to visit. There really is bugger all to see here.

Sure, we have crime. I don't think its as big an issue as its made out to be by the overseas media (either that or we've become a little jaded)

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    I know I sound like a travel agent here but South Africa is a great holiday destination. Most of the plus points of an African holiday but with a (somewhat) first-world infrastructure. Excellent hunting and game viewing (no, we don't have lions walking in the streets.)

Cape Town is a beautiful city. Lots to see and do. Good wine, shark diving etc. The Rand/$ exchange rate means a fairly decent priced holiday. I live in Johannesburg (and I love it) but its a shithole for tourists to visit. There really is bugger all to see here.

Sure, we have crime. I don't think its as big an issue as its made out to be by the overseas media (either that or we've become a little jaded)
    I havent yet met a tourist who wasnt blown away by South Africa

Israel is a good place for holidays, too.
    I like the food and the people there.
    Even if you are not the "holy crusader", Old Town Jerusalem with the four ethnic precincts is worth to see.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

Always wanted to go to Israel. However, working in various nations not on the best terms with Israel, I don't want to risk being denied entry/ detained / arrested flying back in to Baghdad Intl Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Israel is a good place for holidays, too.
    I like the food and the people there.

All you need is a second passport. I got questioned by some nice looking female agents at my departure re a stamp from Dubai. One of my friends came over from Bagdad via Amman without any trouble.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

Mine? Sanibel Island, Florida. I've been vacationing there for over 30 years.

Sadly, I'm going to miss this year.

A jacuzzi suite in Las Vegas for a week away from work and the kids= Heaven.

User Tag List