Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used 550 on the way - most useful additions?

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    If you are only going to load 9mm,

Extra primer loading tubes. If you only have 1 tube, you can prep for 200 rounds, (load tube, dump in primer feed on the press, load tube again. If you have more tubes, you can load more ammo before reloading the primer loading tubes.

Think about a Lee factory crimp die for the 4th position. It makes making perfect ammo much easier, no chamber checking or go-nogo ammo gauging.

If you are going to load other calibers,

Extra die holders obviously and consider another powder measure. I keep one powder measure, die holder, shell plate and pins set for 9mm and never change it. For all the other calibers, I use the other powder measure and adjust it as needed.

Gringop
    Extra primer pickup tubes allowed me to speed up production volume by having primers ready to load when I ran empty. It takes time to fill the pick up tubes. I use to own a bare 550 with no add ons. I was able to load about 300 rds per hour. I was slow because I was careful. At that time I practiced shooting 1 hour for each hour of loading. I don't shoot at that rate anymore so I just buy ammo now.
    Last edited by DamonL; 03-30-2019 at 11:22 AM.

I have an Inline Fabrication light and an extended but not roller primer bar plate.

The only application for a Strong mount is to adjust the height of the press; usually so you can load standing up or on a tall stool.
    I have the Inline QD flat base to get the press down a bit from its previous thick wooden mount.

I don't prefill multiple primer tubes, I am glad of the break every hundred or two to check powder, brass, and bullet supply. They have to be filled anyhow and unless you have a power tool for the job, the time is the same whether you do it one or two at a time or a dozen.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Thanks guys. My 550 arrived yesterday and I hope to have some time tomorrow evening to work on setting it up. I think my immediate add on will be LED lighting as my workspace isn't the best lit. I'll see how the priming system goes and may purchase the roller bearing plate next.

I appreciate your time and input, I'm looking forward to making ammo again.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List