Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used 550 on the way - most useful additions?

Used 550 on the way - most useful additions?

I bought a used 550 to set up for volume loading for practice 9mm ammo and I'm curious if you guys recommend any other items that make a significant difference in speed or convenience.

I bought:
    550b with all factory parts
    9mm dies and conversion kit
    Strong Mount
    Bullet tray
    Dual bin for empty cases and loaded rounds on the right side of the press

I have experience with a Square Deal from years ago and think I'm pretty much set to start hammering out ammo, but I'm curious what else you guys like. The goal with this is to produce cheap ammo to shoot more, so every dollar spent is money I can't spend on components...
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Site Supporter
    I was going to suggest the strong mount and the bullet tray. Since you have those, the only other thing I would recommend is the roller handle. I is definitely an improvement over the ball handle.

Roller handle is a worthwhile addition, for sure. I also found that this smoothed out the priming portion of the operation quite a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/JW-Systems-Di.../dp/B01L9Q2TX4

Site Supporter
    Strong mount is great and makes a big difference

For high volume reloading a case feeder is worth the money.

Site Supporter
    Aftermarket LED light that mounts on the frame.

In addition to the Strong Mount, the roller handle is a must have. The bullet tray is an improvement but not a must have, in my book.

An add on LED light for better illumination of the work area is a great idea - anyone have links to share?

I just bought and set up a 650 yesterday. Following with interest.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    In addition to the Strong Mount, the roller handle is a must have. The bullet tray is an improvement but not a must have, in my book.

An add on LED light for better illumination of the work area is a great idea - anyone have links to share?
    https://inlinefabrication.com/produc...the-dillon-550

If you are only going to load 9mm,

Extra primer loading tubes. If you only have 1 tube, you can prep for 200 rounds, (load tube, dump in primer feed on the press, load tube again. If you have more tubes, you can load more ammo before reloading the primer loading tubes.

Think about a Lee factory crimp die for the 4th position. It makes making perfect ammo much easier, no chamber checking or go-nogo ammo gauging.

If you are going to load other calibers,

Extra die holders obviously and consider another powder measure. I keep one powder measure, die holder, shell plate and pins set for 9mm and never change it. For all the other calibers, I use the other powder measure and adjust it as needed.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List