Thread: Firing pin retaining pin wear: CZ 75 vs SIG 226 vs Beretta 92

Firing pin retaining pin wear: CZ 75 vs SIG 226 vs Beretta 92

I currently own the SIG 226 and Beretta 92A1. Looking at getting the CZ 75 SP01 Tactical. I’m reading that the collision of the firing pin with the retaining pin may cause wear to the point of breakage. It may be exacerbated by excessive dry firing? Anyway, not a big deal to replace if true. Looks like the cut-out on the firing pin has a larger radius than the retaining pin resulting in very small contact area and high stress. For you guys that have the CZ, is this a fair assessment? Also for you SIG and Beretta owners is this not a concern? In my Beretta, the retaining pin looks to match the firing pin cutout real well. I have not disassembled my SIG to inspect. I really like what I read and hear about the CZ. Just wondering if I should just replace the retaining pin right away if I get one. I have seen pictures of a failed pin at 500 rounds but for all I know there was 100s of dry-fires? Thanks for insight. I am looking forward to adding the CZ to my Beretta/SIG collection.

I have a CZ 75B Omega and a CZ P07. I did some spring swapping and found that both firing pin retaining pins had damage. Plan was to replace with Cajun Gun Works retaining pin while changing the firing pin spring anyway so I corrected the problem then. The Cajun Gun Works pin is shaped differently to correct the issue, but I use an O ring for all dry firing now just to make sure.

Not sure how many rounds I had through the P07, but I shoot regularly and do some dry firing. Easily 1000 rounds. The 75 was a different story. Changed that spring early on with only a few hundred rounds through it. Damage was worse on the P07, but the 75 was heading there.

CZs are great guns especially if you are handy and like to tinker.
    Last edited by CZB1969; 03-28-2019 at 10:30 AM.

The collision of the firing pin with the retaining pin doesn’t occur when there’s a round in the chamber. Use a snap cap for prolonged dry fire sessions, but otherwise call it good. A few presses here or there without isn’t going to damage anything. The majority of my armorer level experience is with Sigs. But I believe the same holds true of the Berettas and CZs also.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    The collision of the firing pin with the retaining pin doesn’t occur when there’s a round in the chamber. Use a snap cap for prolonged dry fire sessions, but otherwise call it good. A few presses here or there without isn’t going to damage anything. The majority of my armorer level experience is with Sigs. But I believe the same holds true of the Berettas and CZs also.
    This is correct.

The CZ firing pin spring retainer is not touched by the firing pin if there's a primed cartridge (or analog) in the chamber for the pin to hit. Impact only happens when dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.

The best solution is to place a small o ring over the rear of the firing pin in the hammer slot. Then you can dry fire intensively without worry. As a belt and suspenders approach, add a CGW tempered firing pin retaining pin which is more resistant than the OEM part to facture from impacts. That way you can do minor dry firing without worry.

Fished out the old FP pins. The 75 is on top and the P07 is on the bottom. 75 looks worse than I remember. Pic is not the best. My phone could not focus well.

Name:  IMG_20190328_115936575_HDR.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  103.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CZB1969 View Post
    Fished out the old FP pins. The 75 is on top and the P07 is on the bottom. 75 looks worse than I remember. Pic is not the best. My phone could not focus well.

Name:  IMG_20190328_115936575_HDR.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  103.0 KB
    Thanks much for the info. The pics help very much

User Tag List