Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room Clearing Night

Site Supporter

Room Clearing Night

I'm going through the citizens academy put on by my local PD. If you've not had the experience, I recommend it. The course here covers everything from SWAT to Financial Crime to Traffic Stops, to Chaplain service, SRO's and PD Administration. From the PD side, the goal (broadly) seems to be to impart a more detailed understanding and appreciation for what goes in to police work to the citizens that are paying the bill. From my side, I find it all enlightening.

This week the class took place in the shoot house, using simunitions (fx marking cartridges). It was just a few hours of teach/practice, and nobody was shooting back at us (paper targets), but I learned quite a bit. Most of the takeaways were about how I would (or wouldn't) move through my house if an intruder was suspected/present. Mostly, how I haven't given that plan nearly enough consideration. Would my wife be a willing participant (if she was home and not away on business), or would I be on my own? What spaces in my house would be difficult to clear? What you give up in terms of previously cleared space when you lose sight of that space? Lots of personal homework to do.

Also gained a greater appreciation for the risks involved. One scenario involved two people working to clear a house. In the middle of the house was a space that, in the span of about 180 degrees, had doorways to 3 other spaces. Similar to a landing (not a hallway) leading to 3 bedrooms.

I don't do much practice moving and shooting.... I should. I felt ok (could be better, could be worse) getting on target and putting good shots downrange, the hard part was in making the decision to shoot. Even a paper target of a kid being held with a gun to his head gives pause. Mistakes can be grave.

Our locals use Sul, something I've never practiced. I believe I shot the course without pointing my weapon at anyone (partners, LEO instructors) other than the BG's, but came away with a clear feeling that I was wasting a lot of time moving from ready to low ready to pointing at the ground and back...

Overall time well spent... Will be adding things to my planning and practice.

To the folks that do this stuff on the job, THANKS!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I’ll always recommend people go through Citizen Academies. I’ve taught and usually help teach the K9 portion of ours. I think they are eye openers to a lot of people.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I’m running our CPA. Started last night. I’m torn on how to do the building searches. Whether to use a live bad guy w airsoft or not. I trust our trainers and our safety protocols, just not sure it’s worth it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’m running our CPA. Started last night. I’m torn on how to do the building searches. Whether to use a live bad guy w airsoft or not. I trust our trainers and our safety protocols, just not sure it’s worth it.
    Maybe offer it as a choice a week or two prior so you can plan for some of both?

FWIW, I learned plenty without anyone shooting back at me. I was able to stop mid scenario and talk with the instructor about what decisions needed to be made and what the best practices are as I was facing them for the first time. Very valuable.

Best of both worlds would be two different scenarios, the second of which would have some opposing force.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sounds like a hugely enlightening experience. I'm looking up the Citizens Academy in my county to learn about participating.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Maybe offer it as a choice a week or two prior so you can plan for some of both?

FWIW, I learned plenty without anyone shooting back at me. I was able to stop mid scenario and talk with the instructor about what decisions needed to be made and what the best practices are as I was facing them for the first time. Very valuable.

Best of both worlds would be two different scenarios, the second of which would have some opposing force.
    Some good ideas. I’ll think more on that.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If you go with airsoft, make sure there are no teachers in the class...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If you go with airsoft, make sure there are no teachers in the class...
    No executions in the lesson plan.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

While the Citizen Academy students get demo's, our curriculum sees them going through our Virtra 270 deg simulator. Any searching, etc they do is within that context.

I had no idea that PDs did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List