Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ride the safety on a P30S?

Anyone ride the safety on a P30S?

I want a P30L and only the P30LS seems to be available right now.

I'm a long time 1911 shooter and "ride" the safety lever on them so having a safety on the P30LS isn't that big of a deal so long as it is ergonomically feasible to do the same.

So...does anyone ride the safety on the P30S or P30LS?

Most folks with a 1911 background seem to feel that the P30S/P30LS safety sits too high to be comfortable for riding. I have only experience with the HK45 and P30LS (the P30LS constitutes about 95% of my handgun experience, the HK45 the remaining 5%), and rode the safety on both, and tend to find that the 1911's safety sits too low for me. I run my handguns cocked and locked.

Site Supporter
    I had my HK45C as cocked and locked for a while and I did. Not like 1911 level of comfort and ergonomic but it worked fine for me.

Just make sure you get the detent plate that is safety only, I sometimes found myself decocking on accident with the one that did decock AND safe. That was with a .45, not a 9mm so maybe not a problem but I like being able to apply force to the lever without decocking in recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Just make sure you get the detent plate that is safety only, I sometimes found myself decocking on accident with the one that did decock AND safe. That was with a .45, not a 9mm so maybe not a problem but I like being able to apply force to the lever without decocking in recoil.
    The P-series utilizes a button on the back of the slide for decocking, rather than a multi-use lever like the USP or HK45 series.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The P-series utilizes a button on the back of the slide for decocking, rather than a multi-use lever like the USP or HK45 series.
    Thank you! I "assumed" they were more similar.

Im a 1911 guy and found the S too high to ride. And I found it awkward to click off the safety and then have to go under it so I sold it and went LEM.

In .40, riding the P30S safety lever seriously abraded the base of my thumb.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry a P30S and my thumb rides on top, just like a 1911.

I've never noticed any problems from doing so, and I don't think my hands are particularly big.

You may want to check out the training journal of Sseven, he's currently running a P30S in single action. Although I'm not quite sure if he's riding the safety or not. He's got a lot of video but I never looked too close at that aspect of his shooting.

On my HK45 I do not, it causes the decocker to get pushed down enough to engage at random during recoil.

I don't leave my thumbs firmly touching anything on any pistol, they cause issues therefore they just float or lightly rest somewhere.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-28-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List