Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball caps

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    @Clusterfrack, @randyho...what size hats do you normally wear and what size Oakley did you order? I was all set to try one of these, but the reviews on Oakley's site were filled with complaints about too small/too big.
    I think I wear 7.5", and I always order S/M. I hate it when the hat is too large and the band pushes the temples of my sunglasses down on my ears, or the brim hits them. The circumference of the hat has never been an issue. They are stretchy and/or adjustable. It's the size of the dome, and I don't like them roomy. E.g. The S/M First Spear Forager hat I just got is borderline too big in the dome.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think I wear 7.5", and I always order S/M. I hate it when the hat is too large and the band pushes the temples of my sunglasses down on my ears, or the brim hits them. The circumference of the hat has never been an issue. They are stretchy and/or adjustable.
    Same 7.5 typically and the s/m is just right.

It's the size of the dome, and I don't like them roomy. E.g. The S/M First Spear Forager hat I just got is borderline too big in the dome.
    I was wondering about that looking at that hat.

I have a high speed gear hat made by americap usa that is just about perfect from that perspective, and therefore discontinued. It's a Radar O'Reilly special with the short brim.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The Forager hat is excellent. A little pricey, but very well thought out. It’s mesh lined, has holes for sunglasses on top, and has a seam in the bill so the hat can fold in half. The adjustment is Velcro free.

Must. Not. Lose. This. Hat.
    I bought this hat after reading your review. It arrived yesterday. It fit perfectly for my head without adjusting. It does fold up tight. Two CFs and a thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

These have stuck around for a while.

Name:  82FDA0E6-E779-40C4-8040-345AD57705FD.jpeg
Views: 419
Size:  29.4 KB

Caps

I have to have a very shallow hat or they push down on my ears. Needless to say, I'm VERY picky about my ball caps. To date, the absolute best one I've ever had is the Crye Shooters hat. Unfortunately, they don't make one that's less tactical looking. It's US made and very high quality.

My favorite current every-day wear hat is the TAD Gear Field Cap. Also US made (see a trend here?) of lightweight nylon ripstop. I wish they were cut a smidge lower but close enough for it to have become by go-to hat. They don't scream LARPer and are comfortable to wear.

I will post another vote of confidence for the First Spear Forage Caps. Otherwise, I tend to wear Tilley Endurables hats.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Black on black version of the TNF cap I posted earlier. I'm pretty happy with these, after trying a bunch of alternatives. (Still buying a P-F cap, tho!)

Name:  TNF black.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  43.1 KB

Unlike many of you monsters, I've got a small head (7-1/8 ish). One size fits all--doesn't. These come in two sizes, and have a very good adjustable backstrap with a no-pull buckle, elastic on one side, and an invisible keeper slot for the tail. From reviews, big head folks seem to like the large size. Low and unconstructed crown, comfortable sweat band. Brim (probably plastic) takes to shaping pretty well. I'd prefer no logo at all, but the same color logo isn't too bad and TNF (while a US brand) isn't goofy looking and is pretty generic these days.

Name:  TNF buckle.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  40.0 KB

Cons: getting the button off of this thing is a PITA. There is a metal shank embedded in the plastic piece the button is crimped on, and you have to snap it to separate the plastic end from the metal base. I drew blood getting this one off when the screwdriver I was using as a pry tool slipped.

Name:  TNF button.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  21.4 KB

TNF's running another 30% off special (ends today), with free shipping and free returns. Puts these at $18.20 pre tax.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/ho...ariationId=21L

Still working the sun protection angle--I'm not a fan of hoodies (either in practical terms--obscured vision, hot, flop around--or as fashion/social statement), but I'm thinking of trying one of these for heavy outdoor days:

https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...5310_color=FEA
    Last edited by Gater; 05-25-2020 at 11:47 AM.

The Outdoor Research Swift Cap is hands-down one of my favorite hot-weather ballcaps. At this point I have four or five of them in a bunch of different colors. They fit my head exceptionally well, the mesh sides are breathable enough that I can wear these on long, hot runs in South Florida, and the material is thin enough that it doesn't interfere noticeably with ear pro during range sessions. In their brighter colors, they are decidedly non-tactical (although I do also have one in Multicam because reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    The Outdoor Research Swift Cap is hands-down one of my favorite hot-weather ballcaps. At this point I have four or five of them in a bunch of different colors. They fit my head exceptionally well, the mesh sides are breathable enough that I can wear these on long, hot runs in South Florida, and the material is thin enough that it doesn't interfere noticeably with ear pro during range sessions. In their brighter colors, they are decidedly non-tactical (although I do also have one in Multicam because reasons).

Awesome... Just ordered one. $21 w/ free shipping!
    Just wish they still had the Multicam for all my LARPing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Awesome... Just ordered one. $21 w/ free shipping!
    Just wish they still had the Multicam for all my LARPing needs.
    Hmm... looks like that one has been discontinued. Shame. (I bought mine in MC in 2017.)

User Tag List