Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ gun seizure over FB pic leads to a suicide

NZ gun seizure over FB pic leads to a suicide

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...n-christchurch

A former Russian soldier who feared going back to prison tried to call his son before dying of a suspected suicide following a three-hour standoff with police.

The family of 54-year-old Troy Dubovskiy told Stuff he was sought by police after his property in the Christchurch suburb of St Martins was searched on Tuesday.

Police acted on information from the public.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police found a number of firearms at the property and Dubovskiy, a welder and steel fabricator, was found in the Richmond Park area about 12.30am on Wednesday when his vehicle was stopped.

"The Police Negotiation Team spoke with the man over a number of hours. The police helicopter and Armed Offenders Squad were in support during the negotiations.

"At around 3.40am police approached the vehicle and discovered the man critically injured," Bush said.

Dubovskiy's 16-year-old son, who Stuff has decided not to name, said police searched the homes of his father, mother and grandparents after someone reported a photo the teen made his profile picture on Facebook five days ago.

The photo, which he first posted to Facebook several years ago, shows the teen holding a replica rifle and wearing a Russian helmet. The teen used the equipment along with his father while playing Airsoft, a team sport where people shoot each other with pellets using replica guns.

"I just thought I'd change up my profile picture and I found that photo and saved and uploaded it. I didn't think much of it," the teen said.

He was about to go the gym with his friends on Tuesday when a friend messaged him to say there was a large police presence near his father's home.

On arrival he saw a large number of armed police blocking off the road and a bridge. His father was still out working at the time, he said.

After establishing his identity, police told the 16-year-old he was going to be arrested for possession of ammunition and a firearm in his room.

He said the firearm in his room was an 8 millimetre blank pistol. The other gun, found in his father's room was an illegal, modified SKS semi-automatic, he said.

Also in the house was his father's large collection of World War II German memorabilia, including uniforms, pouches and helmets.

The teen said he was taken to a police station and interviewed about the items, initially in the presence of his brother. His mother, Dubovskiy's ex-partner, then came to the station as well.

The family were held in the station for several hours as police negotiated with Dubovskiy.

The 54-year-old tried calling his son once and ex-partner twice, however officers told them not to answer the phone. His ex-partner briefly spoke to him, and he said goodbye, his son said.

Dubovskiy also called another friend, 21-year-old Jonathan Hinds.

"He just called me brother and said goodbye," Hinds told Stuff.

Dubovskiy's son and ex-partner were allowed to leave about 4am. About an hour later the teen was sitting in his room when officers arrived at their home.

"I go to see what it is and I just see my mother and brother in tears, crying and it just hit me."

He said his father, who had previously spent time in prison for assault, was worried about going back to prison for possessing the illegal firearm.

Hinds said Dubovskiy, who was a member of the Russian special forces, fighting in Afghanistan and Chechnya, told him he felt "naked" without a gun.

"He needed something to give him that security," he said.

Dubovskiy's son said his father was "fascinated" by World War II and the German military but was not a white supremacist.

"By no means is he a suspicious person or potentially threatening in any sort of way dangerous," he said.

"He was a really good person who guided me through my life . . . he meant so much to me, he had a great work ethic and was very intelligent.

"There was so much he already taught me in life and could've taught more, there was so much potential."

Bush said immediate first aid was provided on Dubovskiy, however, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man's vehicle was examined by the NZDF Explosive Ordnance Squad as a precaution and had been deemed safe. There were no firearms in the vehicle.

"Members of the public who heard what they thought were explosions were hearing police deploying gas at the scene.

"A high priority investigation is under way to determine whether or not the deceased man posed a threat to the community. This will include further searches of Christchurch properties and interviews with family and associates."

Bush said there was no evidence to suggest the man had any involvement in the attacks of March 15, however that would form an important part of the investigation.

There will be a continued police presence in the Richmond Park and St Martins areas, as scene examinations continue. Police thanked residents in those areas for their cooperation.

"We are grateful to those who alerted police on this occasion and encourage people to remain vigilant."
    #RESIST

Fuck New Zealand

There is nothing more I can say.

Kneejerking into a police state already I see.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Kneejerking into a police state already I see.
    Yeah that didn't take long

If you want dead citizens and dead cops, red flag laws and confiscation are the quickest way there.

Student
    We can't really talk about mental health when it's not the ordinary people who are losing their damn minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    If you want dead citizens and dead cops, red flag laws and confiscation are the quickest way there.
    This.
    #RESIST

New Squealand. See something, say something, overreact.

Done.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    That's right..and our own gov't is exploring that idea right now.... And, it appears that the NRA is going along with it.. I tried to link a NRA video, in which they come out in support of red flag laws, but could'nt. It was on a link on another vid that the military arms channel had up yesterday concerning bump stocks, and the legal ramifcations of them. The link was there.. Not sure how I feel about the NRA supporting red flag laws, I mean, even a 10yr old could figure out how this is going to be abused, especially by states like NY, ILL, CALI, etc if the NRA wants to support this shit, (which is IMO defacto confiscation) I'm really going to have to rethink further support for them..
    Last edited by ralph; 03-27-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Site Supporter
    I posted in another thread, Lindsay Graham's enthusiasm for Red Flags which melds nicely with his master's Bump Stock Ban and the wise sage of the courts, Roberts, allowing the ban to go into force.

Send those checks to the defenders of the 2nd Amend.

Here's the deal, they will take the lead out of your guns. AOC will take the lead out of your guns and your water supply.

Just thought of that - flame on! Just for grins. I'm bad.

Seriously, we do need to consider the role of the small set of mental disorders that predict violence but in a nuanced fashion. Currently we have rush to overly inclusive solutions. In order to protect guns, I note that some progun organizations were ready to throw mental illness, in general, under the bus to take the blame, so to speak, off the possession of evil guns. Did the same for video games and autism for awhile.

The lack of understanding technical issues (on purpose) for your purposes is a tactic of all political tribes.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-27-2019 at 11:35 AM.

User Tag List