Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The joys of being an old head.

The joys of being an old head.

I amused myself by trifling with the youngsters today.

I ran the 070 for 10 years, the first seven of which were with a S&W 4006. I had my old rig for the S&W down to the point that I could get sub-1.25 draws. The fasted I ever had on record was a 1.14. The last three years were with a Glock. I never quite got that holster smoothed out as well.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

That's a blast from the ancient past.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Was still issued one of those up to about a year ago. Much happier with my 7360.

Used same model in basketweave.

I liked the 070’s. I think I still have a couple in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Used same model in basketweave.
    Mine were the laminate.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I ran one of those with a third gen 45 acp. 4586. Then for a Glock 21.

They were fast and secure. My primary dissatisfaction was with the fast and secure re-holster when having to go hands on with people. As an FI, it was one of the reasons why we switched rigs.

That said whenever I see a box of old police holsters in a gun shop I look for one that will fit a G17/19 whatever. They are as close to as “childproof “ as a holster as I’ve seen. I tested my duty rig with my oldest daughter when she was a midget with my unloaded G21 and results were very favorable.

Long story short, a pistol stored with an empty chamber, full magazine, in one of these level 3 holsters placed where my other little minions cannot reach it, yet I can would provide a reasonable balance of accessibility and security.

I actually really like the 070. I still wear one in Class A and occasionally on a spare belt.

I was issued one in the academy and for the first few years before the discovering the 6280, then the Raptor, then the 6360, now the 7360, and likely soon to be the 7390.

I still draw as fast with one as anything else and it's extremely secure, more so then the 6280 (my buddy lost his XD45 when those were the bees knees when he was in a foot pursuit and then fought the dude whilst going over a fence). The problem with the 070 is re-holstering is slower and when you do need to go hands on fast that can be a little bit of a disadvantage.

The 070 was great, but I loved the 295. I was very fast with the 295 and it was the easier to re-holster.

My agency was pretty squared away in most respects, but one of our more curious policies was that you had two choices for toting around your 3rd Gen S&W: The Uncle Mike's Pro-3 and the 070.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List