Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steyr M9 help

Steyr M9 help

I got to try a Steyr M9 at the range last weekend, it was a pretty amazing gun, except for triangular sights.
    I would like to know more about the gun, but I can't find any discussions in this forum, or I might be incapable of using the search engine.
    Anyone can point me in the right direction? thanks

It was a gun designed by Willi Bubits, who was previously employed by Glock in some capacity. Essentially, it seems he was trying to re-invent the G19/G23 and then the G26/G27. I had an early M40, and it was an interesting gun. I found the sights workable. What I didn't like were some reoccurring ejection/extraction issues, so down the road it went. I liked the triggerpull and grip/grip angle, and the pistol seemed to be well constructed.

If you want, if you get the M9, I still have a Blade-Tech IWB that I'd be happy to give you (you'd need to replace the belt loop straps, as the rubber deteriorated with age and I removed them), but those are easily obtained from Blade-Tech).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 03-27-2019 at 11:41 AM.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Steyr announced an updated version at SHOT show. Don't know how long before it comes out, but looks interesting. Replaceable back and side panels ala HK VP9. Not sure if they're going to have more sight options, personally I love the trapezoid sights.

I had an early M9 and M357. Liked the way they handled, hated the sights just because they were SO different from any other type of sights I'd ever used. At that time (WAY back circa 2000-01) there were no aftermarket sights for the pistol.

Mine were mechanically reliable, accurate and shootable. If Steyr brings out an updated version with "improved" ergonomics and normal sights, I might take a look at one as a lark...

Site Supporter
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtTV8hY41c

Not sure why the video is not displayed. Steyr Shot Show 2019.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 03-27-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtTV8hY41c

Not sure why the video is not displayed. Steyr Shot Show 2019.
    Seems they're the only plastic pistol maker with a clue since they've extended the texturing all the way up the frame.

Thanks for everyone's help and links.
    The one I have shot had no malfunctions, and felt great in the hand. I rarely shot a gun that felt like it was made for my hand, more like a CZ I used to own.
    Then the recoil was almost non existent. The trigger was certainly better than any Glock I have shot, even the one with an improve trigger.
    I will be looking around at some dealers to see if I can get one for a good price. I still don't know if I want the M9 or L9.
    JonInWA, would that holster fit an L9?
    Would you know if their are aftermarket sights made for it?

The holster would not fit a L9. It's for the original M40. Regarding sights, I believe Trijicon makes a set of tritium's for the Steyrs. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    It was a gun designed by Willi Bubits, who was previously employed by Glock in some capacity. Essentially, it seems he was trying to re-invent the G19/G23 and then the G26/G27. I had an early M40, and it was an interesting gun. I found the sights workable. What I didn't like were some reoccurring ejection/extraction issues, so down the road it went. I liked the triggerpull and grip/grip angle, and the pistol seemed to be well constructed.

If you want, if you get the M9, I still have a Blade-Tech IWB that I'd be happy to give you (you'd need to replace the belt loop straps, as the rubber deteriorated with age and I removed them), but those are easily obtained from Blade-Tech).

Best, Jon
    My experience exactly, extraction/ejection issues in both a M9 and M40. Back to Steyr they went but they came back with the same issues. Got rid of them fast and no more Steyr for me. But, when they worked, they worked well.

User Tag List