Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S&W 610 Is Back

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I'd take a 610 over a GP100 for the S&W optics mount alone--it is interesting that S&W put together an excellent pistol optics mounting solution almost 30-years ago while Ruger so far has done nothing but equip their long-barreled revolvers with mounts for their proprietary rings. I say this as someone who has owned a GP100 in .357 for 20-years now, and that revolver was my only gun for many of those years. I think the GP100 is the best modern American revolver with respect to durability and reliability--I just wish Ruger would develop a modern optics mount worthy of the GP100's mechanical design.
    The N-frame is wasted on the 10mm, IMO. If you’re going large frame, might was well make it a .44 or .45.

I run an EGW mount on my GP100. If it ever starts shifting zero, I’ll simply take it to a gunsmith to drill & tap another screw.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’d love it a WHOLE LOT more if they’d legitimize the .41 Special in a 6-shot L-frame. Bill Jordan’s vision for the .41 magnum would at last be realized, and we’d have a super-useful, all-round revolver.
    Agreed, but I don’t see that happening, ever.

I have a 625 that I shoot frequently. My major complaint is bullet migration in the cylinder. I can't just taper crimp that ammo like I would for my 1911. I'm using a roll crimp on those now.

I'm seriously thinking about selling it and buying a 44 mag or 44 spl. to replace it so I don't have that issue. A 610 might have the same problems as rimless is a special needs cartridge in a revolver. There's just no getting around it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    ...as rimless is a special needs cartridge in a revolver. There's just no getting around it.
    Not if you can learn to live with and even appreciate Moonclips. I've owned a bunch of 45 ACP revolvers and would never have bought the first one if Moonclips hadn't been available. Without them there is no real reason to own a revolver chamber in a auto pistol cartridge.

YMMV,
    Dave

S&W dropped the 625 and replaced it with the 610. All of my 45 ACP brass is range pickup so I know a lot of people shoot 45 ACP. I've seen 40 brass in the buckets but never any 10mm. I usual just throw the 40 away when I separate my brass because I don't know anyone who loads it.

I guess S&W is hoping 10mm will become more popular than 45 ACP as a revolver cartridge, stranger things have happened. My 625-8 may be worth more than I paid for it one day.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Agreed, but I don’t see that happening, ever.
    Nope, not gonna happen.

I’m pondering selling off a couple of guns to fund a Clements custom.

User Tag List