Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W 610 Is Back

Back when I was shooting revo in USPSA there was a bunch of us that would have LOVED this. 610s were unobtainium for anything described as reasonable money and still few and far between otherwise. They were the perfect tool before they allowed 8 shots between reloads.

A buddy had his GP100 converted to 10mm, he calls it his GP400.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 03-28-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    40 S&W brass has been stupidly cheap. Buying a lifetime supply to be used in this revolver with moon clips would be an easy purchase. The purchaser would have a first class lead bullet plinker. Even so, 38 spl brass or .44 spl brass or .45 acp brass used in a Ruger single action or Smith double action would be simpler if plinking is the goal.
    Do the 610s function OK with .40s?

I have the Ruger MC which required TK custom moons to light off .40s consistently.

That required buying mooning and de-mooning tools, because the TKs are stupid-tight.

Granted, the Ruger issue is the flimsy factory moons.

Even though I reload, it is nice to be able to run .40 factory ammo for practice that’s cheaper than .38 special. Even Magtech 10mm ammo is barely more than new .38 range ammo.

Site Supporter
    Yes, 40 S&W will work with the moon clips.

On a different but somewhat related topic, I have shot without issue 40 S&W ammo through 10mm auto pistols. This ammo is held and head spaced by the extractor the same as a short 10mm round would be. Note that I'm not saying anybody else should.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Do the 610s function OK with .40s?

I have the Ruger MC which required TK custom moons to light off .40s consistently.

That required buying mooning and de-mooning tools, because the TKs are stupid-tight.

Granted, the Ruger issue is the flimsy factory moons.

Even though I reload, it is nice to be able to run .40 factory ammo for practice that’s cheaper than .38 special. Even Magtech 10mm ammo is barely more than new .38 range ammo.
    One of my revo buddies was using the Rimz plastic clips in his 610 with no issues. But full disclosure, we were all running tuned DA triggers and setup for fully seated Federal primers.

As to the tight TK clips, the reason for that is that it's just uber slow to reload a moonclip if the rounds are flopping all over the place. Held ridgid you can drop them anywhere close and go in. With RN bullets and heavily chamfered cylinders you can throw them from a foot away and they go in. OK that's an exaggeration but not by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Moon clips are such a pain. That fact and hard to find, expensive ammo will soon end its production again. These comments do not negate its usefulness to the person wanting one, but I think a .41 Mag would be a better choice for a bear protection revolver if that is a reason for purchase.
    What’s the hard to find expensive ammo? 10mm can be had for the same price as .45 ACP and quite a bit cheaper than any magnum round. You won’t see 10mm at Wally World (yet), but most people buy bulk over the internet. .40 S&W is cheaper than .38 special and can be found anywhere.

Ammo cost (although I reload) is one of the great pluses of shooting semi-auto rounds in revolvers. I guess the bottom-feeder shooters demand so much because they burn 50 rounds shooting 3 magazines as fast as they can. At least that’s what my ears tell me when I go to the local indoor range. Or maybe rimless cases cost less to manufacture.

I would like to see some 1/3-moon clips for my Ruger MC 10mm.

Site Supporter
    I seldom see factory 10 mm ammo in shops.

Site Supporter

Current production 610s

Current production 610s are available at Sportsman's Warehouse. I have a metric butt load of 40 SW ammo. I'd love to hear how the current production 610s are running. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I think they (S&W) should have introduced a 10mm L-frame. Less bulk and weight. Less problems with the heavy N-frame cylinder going out of time and creating carry-up problems as with the M-27s & M-28s in rapid fire DA shooting.

As for Moonclips, I have never understood the near manic objections frequently raised about them. I shot competition back in the '90s for five or so years with a custom 5" M-25 and never, and I do mean never had a problem with Ranch Products Moonclips (the cheepest ones I could find). In all that time I only had two of them bend (a little) when an RO stepped on one and I stepped on the other. I have a M25-2 Mountain Gun (don't look it up, Smith never made one, I had it built) that still shoots those Ranch moons with nary a problem. My everyday carry guns is a 386 Night Guard that TK Custom turned into a Moon shooter. I've never had a single problem with the 7-round Moonclips they supplied in well over 1000 rounds of factory and practice ammo. In fact I just bought 10 more of them.

Loading a box or bag of Moonclips before you go to the range is a way faster and more pleasant shooting experience than constantly refilling your speed loaders. And infinitely faster when it comes to reloading the revolver.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I think they (S&W) should have introduced a 10mm L-frame. Less bulk and weight. Less problems with the heavy N-frame cylinder going out of time and creating carry-up problems as with the M-27s & M-28s in rapid fire DA shooting.

As for Moonclips, I have never understood the near manic objections frequently raised about them. I shot competition back in the '90s for five or so years with a custom 5" M-25 and never, and I do mean never had a problem with Ranch Products Moonclips (the cheepest ones I could find). In all that time I only had two of them bend (a little) when an RO stepped on one and I stepped on the other. I have a M25-2 Mountain Gun (don't look it up, Smith never made one, I had it built) that still shoots those Ranch moons with nary a problem. My everyday carry guns is a 386 Night Guard that TK Custom turned into a Moon shooter. I've never had a single problem with the 7-round Moonclips they supplied in well over 1000 rounds of factory and practice ammo. In fact I just bought 10 more of them.

Loading a box or bag of Moonclips before you go to the range is a way faster and more pleasant shooting experience than constantly refilling your speed loaders. And infinitely faster when it comes to reloading the revolver.
    Dave
    I’d love it, but only because I’m already invested in the platform with a GP100 10mm.

I’d love it a LOT more if someone would make 10mm AR brass. Moon clips are great for speed reloads in competition, but not much else, IMO.

I’d love it a WHOLE LOT more if they’d legitimize the .41 Special in a 6-shot L-frame. Bill Jordan’s vision for the .41 magnum would at last be realized, and we’d have a super-useful, all-round revolver.

I'd take a 610 over a GP100 for the S&W optics mount alone--it is interesting that S&W put together an excellent pistol optics mounting solution almost 30-years ago while Ruger so far has done nothing but equip their long-barreled revolvers with mounts for their proprietary rings. I say this as someone who has owned a GP100 in .357 for 20-years now, and that revolver was my only gun for many of those years. I think the GP100 is the best modern American revolver with respect to durability and reliability--I just wish Ruger would develop a modern optics mount worthy of the GP100's mechanical design.
    Last edited by oregon45; 10-15-2021 at 12:04 AM.

User Tag List