Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W 610 Is Back

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I keep waiting for some company to revive the 9mm Federal. At least I think that cartridge would fire in the 9mm LCR and SP101s. I'm not sure why'd I'd choose a 10mm revolver over a .357 or .41 though.
    I don't think that's going to happen. 9mm Fed was too close in size to .38 S&W for comfort to the risk-management people.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I had forgot about 9mm Fed and its similarity in size to .38 S&W. Good point. One place on line sells the 9 rimmed for about $5 each. What surprises me is that Federal introduced a round for a revolver made by Charter Arms exclusively.
    Last edited by willie; 03-27-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=pangloss;863304]I keep waiting for some company to revive the 9mm Federal. At least I think that cartridge would fire in the 9mm LCR and SP101s. I'm not sure why'd I'd choose a 10mm revolver over a .357 or .41

Please delete my reply.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 03-27-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Smith and Wesson just announced a new 610,4" and 6 1/2",12463 and 12462.
    Thanks for the heads up! ...looks like I need to begin negotiations with Mrs. Santa.

I keep waiting for some company to revive the 9mm Federal. At least I think that cartridge would fire in the 9mm LCR and SP101s. I'm not sure why'd I'd choose a 10mm revolver over a .357 or .41 though.
    Maybe if they built a 6-shot on the L-frame.

I’d rather see a 624 myself.

I suppose this is good news for sombody..myself? Meh, I already load for .38, 357, 9mm, .45auto, .44mag..I think I've got the bases covered.. At this point, the last thing I need is another pistol caliber to load for...

Site Supporter
    40 S&W brass has been stupidly cheap. Buying a lifetime supply to be used in this revolver with moon clips would be an easy purchase. The purchaser would have a first class lead bullet plinker. Even so, 38 spl brass or .44 spl brass or .45 acp brass used in a Ruger single action or Smith double action would be simpler if plinking is the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    40 S&W brass has been stupidly cheap. Buying a lifetime supply to be used in this revolver with moon clips would be an easy purchase. The purchaser would have a first class lead bullet plinker. Even so, 38 spl brass or .44 spl brass or .45 acp brass used in a Ruger single action or Smith double action would be simpler if plinking is the goal.
    Well not just brass, but at most LGS around here, .40 and even 10mm ammo is usually cheaper than .38 Special. That changes when you order bulk internet stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Whatever floats yer boar, I guess.

I think one of the strong points of a revolver is that you don't need anything more than the gun and cartridges to use one. You don't need anything to hold or feed cartridges. If you're going to have a gun where you need something to hold or feed cartridges, you might as well get one of those self-littering bottom-feeding things.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't have a quality set of de-mooning tools.

GP100 in 10mm made me think, "sorta interesting, but I wish they'd bring back the 610."

I gotta stop wishing.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

So you'd have an excuse to pick up a Delta Elite, one of those SIGs in 10mm, etc.

Yeah, 10mm does nothing I can't do with .357 or .45 ACP, but it was "the future" when I got into guns, so it's kewl!

It probably makes the most sense as the answer to the hypothetical question "if you could only have one caliber of pistol, what would it be?" In both autos and revolvers, .40 is usable as well, which means you can do anything a 9mm can do well on the light end(aside from high capacity) you can have very similar performance to the whole .45ACP range, and you can duplicate balls-to-the-wall .357 load performance as well.

Practically, of course, it's not really a valid question for 99% of folks who would want a 10mm, but for that person who just wants one caliber of pistol, and doesn't own any at the moment, and has plenty of cash for ammo, or is going to jump into handloading at the same time as buying a first handgun.....it's perfect!
    Last edited by Baldanders; 03-28-2019 at 12:59 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List