Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 308 Win

Site Supporter

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 308 Win

Do the Pre-64 model 70s in 308 feed as smooth as the 270/30-06? I'm not going to dig to find it, but at one time GJM made a comment about how the Pre-64s "feed them like crazy", but that was about 30-06 or 375 H&H... My digging on the internet didn't find any comments on feeding differences. I know the 308/243s are on a standard length action, but have a different bolt stop. I found a lonely shooter grade featherweight on a rack and now I'm thinking about going back for it. People who I suspect may know @okie john, @Malamute, @Lost River, @GJM

Thanks in advance,

Toonces

I don't see why it wouldn't. That's an awesome rifle.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't.
    For the same reasons 9mm in a 1911 is not as “easy” as 45? The shorter length of the 9mm Luger is in a system designed for the longer 45 ACP often sited as a problem. I’ve never actually seen a 308 Pre-64 Model 70 before, and I’m wondering if other people know about problems I don’t. I have nothing to base my concerns on, but I don’t need another rifle, so I figure I have time to look before I leap.

Site Supporter
    I believe that on a pre-64 Model 70 the action is the same length for .308 as for .30-06, just the magazine box and bolt stop are different.

The pre-64 .308 is much more rare than the .30-06 if that matters.

My .243's feed well. Maybe not quite as slick as my .270 but they work.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Right off the bat let me state that I do not claim to be a Model 70 SME.

It is correct (as far as I have ever known) that the pre 64s were (much like T3s) all built one one action length. The bolt stops and magazine spacers are the only difference.

As far as feeding, my experience has been that they feed in a very positive manner. Quite similar to a true Mauser.

I do not currently own an M70 any more and have not for a while. My two Mausers (yes I know M70s are not true Mausers)are both long action (both 30-06s).

In short, if the Pre 64 has not been extensively fiddled with and is available at a decent price, I see no reason not to grab it. Some of the older ones were put together with craftsmanship that you just do not see these days in hand built guns unless you are willing to spend a considerable amount of money.

On the topic of Mausers, you may also want to research Tikka (imported by Ithica) LSAs. Model 55 and 65. 55s were short actions and 65s long. They are Mausers. BOFORS barrels. They were produced prior to Sako acquiring Tikka. The single downside is that if you lose the detachable magazine, they are rare as hens teeth. They shoot extremely well, and are true sleepers in the rifle world, as outside of Sako collectors almost nobody knows about them.

I love my pre64 30-06. If the price is right on the 308, I'd definitely feel confident grabbing it. can you take a few 308 dummy rounds with you and see for yourself?

I’ve spent roughly 30 years with pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters and have never heard anyone complain about the feeding in any of them.

As folks have said, the actions are all the same length. Magazine boxes are different, and the one for short-action cartridges has a little spacer in the rear. I could be wrong, but I believe that the bolt stop (in the action) is the same in all of them since it protrudes through a slot milled into the receiver. A rib on the bolt (opposite the extractor) controls the length of the bolt throw and is the part you swap when converting to or from a short-action cartridge. George probably has several of each, perhaps he'll grace us with a picture.

I’ve owned a couple of dozen pre-64 Model 70’s in 30-06, 270, 338-06, and 35 Whelen over the years. I’ve only had one in 308, but it had extensively slicked up by Jim Cloward and was not in any way a representative sample.

Buy with confidence.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I had a pre-64 model 70 in .308, and hunted with it a number of years, using it to harvest multiple deer. Once, I took two deer with it, as in “bam, run the bolt, bam,” so I would say it feeds and runs just fine. Ultimately, I made it into another caliber, since it was on an .06 length action. If a reasonable price, no reason not to grab it and shoot the bejesus out of it!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Gentlemen, thank you for the replies, all of you. I will be passing through the area on Friday afternoon and will take another look at the rifle. If I buy it, I will post a picture. And a target by Sunday. I will also say I am not necessarily looking for a Pre-64 Model 70. I am looking for a quality "Mauserish" rifle to satisfy my appreciation for finely machined mechanical items in a form factor I can enjoy while shooting. The attractive features on the rifle that prompted the OP are the 1954 build quality, the honest use, and the non-original recoil pad. Because it's been used (hard) and is already not original, I won't feel bad cutting the stock and installing a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator, making the old rifle more enjoyable for me and my young daughters in the near future.
    @NETim, that you are saying there might be some slickness difference makes me glad I asked the questions. I have the hunting rifles I need, this is for enjoyment and pride of ownership. A rifle with a slight "hitch in it's giddyup" while feeding would be a definite downer...
    @Lost River, I looked at the Tikka LSA on Gunbroker and GunsInternational. I have no doubt about the quality, but the look (1970s) and the (almost) irreplaceable detachable magazine definitely give me pause... The fact that they are finely built Mausers at a reasonable price is damn sexy. So is the "Made in Finland". So is the BOFORS steel in the barrel (I'm a Metallurgical Engineer by training, I have a small historical knowledge of them). So much quality and history wrapped up in a reasonably priced package. Damn I wish they didn't have detachable magazines...
    @theJanitor, the rifle is at a Cabela's. Now that they've been bought by Bass Pro, they seem kinda twitchy about guns, given the huge quality drop in the gun library and double locks on every gun in the racks. While I could make some dummy rounds with no primers and drilled cases, if it gets that far I'll buy some 308 snap caps on-site.
    @okie john, the fact that 23 of 24 of your Model 70s have been in standard length cartridges is another thought to give me pause... I like the 30-06/270, and (irrationally, for what I do) 35 Whelen. I would probably be happier with a 30-06. However, the fact that you had an exceptional 308 is a confidence-inspiring factor.
    @GJM, I am not surprised that you have used a Pre-64 308 in the heat of the moment on live game. That is another confidence inspiring factor, if I like the currently "locally" available 308 when I next look at it. I am also not surprised that you had it converted to a standard length caliber.

As a general note, apparently prices have changed since I last looked at Pre-64 Model 70s a couple of years ago. The last time I looked, I remember shooter grade rifles being $1,000-$1,100. An "action" rifle was $800. Now the shooters are $800-$1000. Not only are the prices lower, it seems like the quality of the offered rifles is higher, on average. I could also be misinformed and misremembering, so don't completely roast me for that statement. However, after looking at Gunbroker and GunsInternational, the 308 will have to be pretty damn good to make me buy it over some of the internet offerings. We shall see Friday aftrernoon...

User Tag List