Thread: Light vs Heavy Mossberg Shotgun Barrels = 10 Ounces Different!

Light vs Heavy Mossberg Shotgun Barrels = 10 Ounces Different!

I bought a Moss 590 20" Mariner model with bead front site a long time ago. It has a lighterweight barrel compared to most current generation 590s. I converted that to a 14" on a Form 1 but kept the barrel and mag tube.

Years later, I bought a 20" 590 that has a heavy barrel. I decided to compare them tonight and found the heavy barrel is 10 ounces heavier than the light barrel. Some portion of that is the rifle site (to pair with the ghost ring rear), compared to the bead site on the Mariner lightweight barrel. Another portion is the bayonet lug that the heavy barrel has but the light does not.

That's over half a pound difference! I'm wonder if I really need the heavy barrel. I've heard the heavy barrel was designed for banging around Marine Corp ships and not be damaged. Even if I were to "go to war" with the lightweight barrel, it seems like it would do okay. It doesn't seem that thin.

What are everyone's experiences with light versus heavy mossberg barrels? Anyone ever tried to switch in one direction or another? I imagine the barrel is almost the cost of a new gun so probably not worth it. But since I do have the old Mariner lightweight 20" barrel, I may try to find a smith who will solder the same front site on, and run this to save some weight on this 20" beast.

Couple years ago I decided to sell the 20" barrel and mag tube from my 500 and get a 590 18" barrel and magazine tube. I was able to reduce the length of the gun by 1.5" but keep the same capacity. The first barrel I came across was a 590A1 barrel, which is what I think you're referring to, so I bought it. The sucker is heavy. Trying to reload that thing while holding it in the shoulder is really hard on my wrist. I want to get a new 590 barrel with a front sight to work with the combo rear ghost/red dot mount that Ardus or somebody is making now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I bought a Moss 590 20" Mariner model with bead front site a long time ago. It has a lighterweight barrel compared to most current generation 590s. I converted that to a 14" on a Form 1 but kept the barrel and mag tube.

Years later, I bought a 20" 590 that has a heavy barrel. I decided to compare them tonight and found the heavy barrel is 10 ounces heavier than the light barrel. Some portion of that is the rifle site (to pair with the ghost ring rear), compared to the bead site on the Mariner lightweight barrel. Another portion is the bayonet lug that the heavy barrel has but the light does not.

That's over half a pound difference! I'm wonder if I really need the heavy barrel. I've heard the heavy barrel was designed for banging around Marine Corp ships and not be damaged. Even if I were to "go to war" with the lightweight barrel, it seems like it would do okay. It doesn't seem that thin.

What are everyone's experiences with light versus heavy mossberg barrels? Anyone ever tried to switch in one direction or another? I imagine the barrel is almost the cost of a new gun so probably not worth it. But since I do have the old Mariner lightweight 20" barrel, I may try to find a smith who will solder the same front site on, and run this to save some weight on this 20" beast.

You hit the nail on the head - a "normal" Mossberg barrel is more than adequate to go to war with and many many LE agencies and departments use non-heavy walled barrels in service use daily - the A1 spec from the Navy was specific to needing the heavy walled barrel in case of getting crushed in a steel door and more resistant to damage in that scenario.

As you've found, the extra weight does not offer much more advantage at all and especially on the 20" - The parkerized finish on the A1 models is worth the upcharge as its a better finish overall (although the standard matte blue finish is not bad at all, its nothing like the weak black oxide that Remington uses now on their Express) - The metal safety and trigger guard is moot for me, although I always change out the plastic safety with the $25 Vang Comp aluminum version - the standard trigger guard housing is more than robust for normal use

I really wish Mossberg made a Marine/Mariner in the 18.5", non heavy walled barrel, with the newer 6+1 mag tube - this would be best of both worlds getting the most compact and lightest barrel, best corrosion resistance, and most capacity - currently they only have a 5+1 500 Mariner, the 590 Mariner is a 20" 8+1, and the A1 is exactly what I want but it has the heavier barrel which I don't want.

Site Supporter
    I have the 590a1. The barrel's extra weight is a detraction for me but maybe not for all. The 590a1 has a metal trigger group chassis and metal safety. The metal safety is probably a good idea. I never heard of a polymer trigger group chassis causing problems.

User Tag List