Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lefty 1911 problem

Lefty 1911 problem

I've been shooting my Rock Island 1911 FS and experiencing a specific stoppage.

The knuckle of my trigger finger is bumping the slidelock up and activating it while firing freestyle.

The trigger appears to be a medium length and my finger sinks in to the fist joint.

Would a long trigger fix this? Must I be condemned to "splitting the distal phalanges"?

Using less finger would probably help, but whether you need a longer trigger for that, I don't know. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how you're hitting the slide stop. I just tried, and I have to use the most contorted, twisted grip, to get my finger even remotely close to the slide stop

Site Supporter
    Various left hand 1911’s have been made at various times. These are complete mirror image guns, with everything set up for left hand use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Using less finger would probably help, but whether you need a longer trigger for that, I don't know. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how you're hitting the slide stop. I just tried, and I have to use the most contorted, twisted grip, to get my finger even remotely close to the slide stop
    Left handed the second knuckle of the trigger finger rides under the slidelock.

Gripping high, the knuckle, under recoil, strikes the slidelock, bumping it up.

Can you post a picture?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Left handed the second knuckle of the trigger finger rides under the slidelock.

Gripping high, the knuckle, under recoil, strikes the slidelock, bumping it up.
    To be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out how that is happening. I never bump the slide release on my guns while shooting left handed, and I can't see how it would based on how my finger is positioned while firing.

Anyway, with a Glock and some other pistol types I use the first joint on the trigger. But on a 1911 I always use the pad of my trigger finger. If that's not workable for you with the medium trigger then a long trigger just might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    To be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out how that is happening.....and I can't see how it would based on how my finger is positioned while firing.
    I think I’ve figured some of it out. I pulled a pic of the Rock Island from their website, and look at the contour of the frame in relation to the bottom of the slide stop. I’m also including a pic of a colt for reference.

The RI frame is cut all the way up to the slide stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch by @theJanitor if that’s the case, you might try grinding a little relief into the slide stop. Do that CAREFULLY because slide stop fitting is critical to gun function.

I’d probably use a 600-grit sanding drum in a dremel and divot it just enough to give you some extra room. Don’t forget to touch up the sharp edge you make.

Site Supporter
    Huh. Yeah, that is definitely a non-standard frame cut there. I'm still not sure how recoil is causing the trigger finger to bump the slide lock/release but that could explain it I guess.

Before modifying the slide stop, I would try fitting a long trigger to see if that helps first. Also, you might want to secure another slide stop before modifying the one you have.
    Last edited by Robinson; 03-26-2019 at 08:03 AM.

I am an avid 1911 shooter and a lefty...and I have never had the problem as described....but....

The trigger on the RIA appears to be on the shorter side of a "medium" length trigger, though certainly not "short" by today's standards. I will also echo the comments on the frame cut....that appears to be different than what I have seen/experiences between my many Colts, a couple of Dan Wessons (presently, additional 2 in the past) and a few Springfields here and there. Is that the cause of the problem...I would have to see video of shooting in progress (then of course you would see as well).

Do you have a friend who can take a video from the side as you shoot? That may give us all the answers we seek!

User Tag List