Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols and Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you're trying to minimize, then I don't think going to pistols only will be unwise for your day-to-day.

With that said, a cheap shotgun adds a lot of value in a situation without rule of law, which isn't a terribly uncommon circumstance. See any major natural disaster in America, or riots. In every case, there's plenty of long gun use by citizenry to defend their home and business.....all the way from Joe Schmoe sitting on his porch with a shotgun to deter looters in the neighborhood, up to actual firefights between organized business owners and armed gangs gone full-on retard.

I'm not talking about a crazy expensive, in-depth prepper armory. A $179 Mossberg and a single box of buckshot or slugs will add a disproportionate amount of value in those circumstances, while being something that is minimal enough you can literally hide them away for decades unattended without any ill.
    This is my thinking as well.

A good 12ga with a single extra barrel is inexpensive, and adds a massive amount of utility. The gauge is the most efficient way to immediately stop a large critter without laser-precise targeting (meaning shoot it in the eyeball, not “ya don’t ev3n have to aim a shotgun”). That encompasses two-legged aggressors, four-legged aggressors like feral dogs AND all the big delicious animals that roam the North American continent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pistols and Rifles

When I’m camping or 4 wheeling in the backcountry, I always have a carbine with a light.

For home defense, I have a carbine set up as well. It’s not that hard to come up with scenarios where a handgun isn’t the best choice. I’ve written here before about experiences with this. Eg. 3 carloads of tweakers bringing their domestic and drug fueled dispute to my buddy’s back yard while his family was having breakfast (complete with destruction of property and threats of violence).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-25-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I try not to sell tools.

If you already have a rifle I wouldn’t sell it. However, unlike the pistol I find that rifle shooting out to 100yds isn’t nearly as perishable of a skill, and can be maintained at an acceptable level with a lot less practice than the handgun. Also, handgun practice transfers over to the rifle fairly well, but not the other way around.

If you have a rifle and shotgun I would sell the shotgun before I sold the rifle since it requires more work than a rifle to run well, and it won’t penetrate soft armor. And armor is definitely still a thing bad guys use that I don’t see mentioned much in regards to weapons choice on here, or as a strike against the shotgun or pistol as far as self defense.

*Disclaimer: this is my situation and not a blanket recommendation for what others should do unless they're in a similar situation*

I'm self employed. I have an office space that I rent and I spend between 10-20 hours of the work week there. Most of the time it's 10-15 hours a week. The rest of the time I work from home. I keep the office space for meeting with clients. The majority of my week now is spent at home. I have easy access to a carbine at all times, there's a 6933 sitting next to me as I type this. I keep a Glock 19 in a JM Custom AIWB with the belt clip for walking the kids to the bus and for my daily lunchtime walk. If I'm home I'm reaching for a carbine for anything that needs to be taken care of with a gun. Home invaders, coyotes, you name it.

I shoot both rifle and pistol every time I go shooting, but it's most important to keep your pistol skills sharp as they're the easiest to lose. I could take months off from the carbine and still do work with one if I needed to. Pistol skills turn to shit for me rapidly if I don't try to maintain.

Based on my situation in terms of where I spend the majority of my time, I find both to be invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    As a civilian, I am likely never to use a rifle/shotgun defensively. For that matter, I'm unlikely to use a pistol either. That said, if I use a firearm, chances are greater that I would use a pistol as opposed to a longgun.

So, for the person that is trying to minimize (minimize expenses, training, equipment, etc) is it unwise to ditch the rifle/shotgun and focus on pistols?
    Paraphrasing from my investment adviser background from when I worked in that field, "Can you tell me about your firearms portfolio so we consider how that decision will effect your overall firearms and defense picture?"

Having said that, I would hang onto my AR unless there was some overwhelming financial or logistic need.
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-25-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you're trying to minimize, then I don't think going to pistols only will be unwise for your day-to-day.

With that said, a cheap shotgun adds a lot of value in a situation without rule of law, which isn't a terribly uncommon circumstance. See any major natural disaster in America, or riots. In every case, there's plenty of long gun use by citizenry to defend their home and business.....all the way from Joe Schmoe sitting on his porch with a shotgun to deter looters in the neighborhood, up to actual firefights between organized business owners and armed gangs gone full-on retard.

I'm not talking about a crazy expensive, in-depth prepper armory. A $179 Mossberg and a single box of buckshot or slugs will add a disproportionate amount of value in those circumstances, while being something that is minimal enough you can literally hide them away for decades unattended without any ill.
    The only issue that I have is that I am not sure how well the inexpensive Mossberg or Remingtons run as they come from the factory. I am not even sure how the higher grade ones run from the factory these days. In the old days one could recommend someone buy a Mossberg 500 with a 5 round magazine and 18.5" barrel as a good, economical out of the box home defense longarm. From what I have been hearing over the last few years sadly this is no longer the case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    As a civilian, I am likely never to use a rifle/shotgun defensively. For that matter, I'm unlikely to use a pistol either. That said, if I use a firearm, chances are greater that I would use a pistol as opposed to a longgun.

So, for the person that is trying to minimize (minimize expenses, training, equipment, etc) is it unwise to ditch the rifle/shotgun and focus on pistols?
    Unless there is some very compelling reason, I would not get rid of my shotguns and/or rifles. >95% of my shooting is dedicated to pistols, but I think it's nice to have options. I haven't shot an AR in a couple of years. It's not hurting anything standing in the safe, and the extra 870 isn't hurting anything standing the corner of my bedroom closet. I'm a hunter, so I do use my 870s and some rifles for sporting purposes rather than personal defense. If I didn't hunt, I'd probably be less likely to keep my long guns, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of all of them.

Anyway, my perception is that the cost of keeping them is very minimal. The potential benefit, though unlikely, could be substantial. It's hard to predict the future.

Civil unrest is something I want a rifle with to defend my castle or in the case that I have to vacate and leave the area. It allows me a lot of ability while taking up a really small spot in my safe. Honestly, most good pistol shooters can shoot an AR15 pretty good after 5 minutes of instruction. Same can not be said for rifle shooters trying to apply that same mindset to the pistol.

I try to stay minimalist also but different tasks call for different tools.

My personal experience mirrors that of others who have said rifle skills are significantly longer lasting than pistol skills.

Keep the rifle.

I'm not a big shotgun fan. Anything a shotgun can do, a rifle can do as well or better. And there are several things that only rifles can do.

If you don't already own one, you probably don't need one. But If you have one, that has good value/quality, I see no reason to sell it. A good rifle really only needs oil and mags. It's not much of a burden to keep one around
    Last edited by theJanitor; 03-25-2019 at 08:42 PM.

User Tag List