Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols and Rifles

Handguns and Longguns

As a civilian, I am likely never to use a rifle/shotgun defensively. For that matter, I'm unlikely to use a pistol either. That said, if I use a firearm, chances are greater that I would use a pistol as opposed to a longgun.

So, for the person that is trying to minimize (minimize expenses, training, equipment, etc) is it unwise to ditch the rifle/shotgun and focus on pistols?
    Last edited by Jay585; 03-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    I don't shoot rifles nearly as much as I used to for various reasons, but even though I am more focused on handguns now I would hate to be without at least one practical rifle. And by "practical" I am not trying single out any specific type or classification -- simply a rifle that can be used for whatever practical reason may present itself to a given person.

My only remaining rifle is a suppressed 300 Blackout bolt gun that accepts a box magazine, topped with a LPV optical sight. Certainly not the best choice for many things, but decent at a few. Sometimes I wish it was a .308, other times I wish it was a semi-auto SBR, etc... oh well.

I don't know that I'd want to be long gun-less. I think there is some validity to the use of a long gun in a home defense role - shotguns and rifles simply do things pistols cannot, ballistically speaking.

However, what I would say is that one can achieve that end with a pistol, though at the expense of the raw ballistic power of a long gun. Further, it's very easy (and expensive) to go down the AR15 adventure camp rabbit hole despite the narrow context that weapon is used.

I think an ex-Police 870 and some basic instruction on how to employ it is a wise (and wallet-friendly) investment.

If you're trying to minimize, then I don't think going to pistols only will be unwise for your day-to-day.

With that said, a cheap shotgun adds a lot of value in a situation without rule of law, which isn't a terribly uncommon circumstance. See any major natural disaster in America, or riots. In every case, there's plenty of long gun use by citizenry to defend their home and business.....all the way from Joe Schmoe sitting on his porch with a shotgun to deter looters in the neighborhood, up to actual firefights between organized business owners and armed gangs gone full-on retard.

I'm not talking about a crazy expensive, in-depth prepper armory. A $179 Mossberg and a single box of buckshot or slugs will add a disproportionate amount of value in those circumstances, while being something that is minimal enough you can literally hide them away for decades unattended without any ill.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-25-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I would certainly prioritize pistols first for inside CONUS. OTOH as a heretic, I think there are long gun options that don't really require anywhere near the training round count of pistols to develop good enough proficiency. So both are possible but pistols are the #1.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Prioritizing handguns if that's what you carry every day, is what you should do.

In my opinion though, everyone should have a three gun battery. I don't mean one you can use in three-gun competition (though that might be one way to look at it). I mean, a 12-gauge shotgun, a centerfire handgun, and a rimfire rifle should be present for utility and shooting purposes.

But if you want to get rid of everything else, a 9mm handgun would be the thing to keep.

A colt 6920 set up with aimpoint pro and surefire g2 is a good investment.

Get the rifle, 6 pmags, and shoot it every once and awhile.

My AR15 was a gift from my wife & a couple friends. Because of that I'll never sell it. If I didn't have that rifle, it would be hard for me to justify owning a rifle. Same way it would be hard for me to justify owning a boat; they're both items that I simply do not have the time to use.

I do agree with @TGS on the shotgun. For $200 all in for a gun & ammo that's an investment I can leave in the attic.

Inside or outside of the home? If you're only worried about inside the home and want to do it as cheaply as possible, buy a Ruger PCC with a decent light/laser combo.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

For self defense the handgun is number one. Shot gun would be second altho it's pretty hard to carry concealed. I don't see rifle at all unless it's all you have.

User Tag List