Thread: Build .22 upper or buy new rifle?

Build .22 upper or buy new rifle?

Instead of hijacking the other thread any further, I figured a new thread was appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think my old PSA 16" upper is about to become a .22 trainer using a CMMG conversion kit. If it shows to be reliable (always a fair question with rimfire conversions) I may go all in and rebarrel it with a proper .22LR barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My conversion kit has been very reliable, even during rapid fire, but don't waste your time or money using it with a centerfire barrel for more than casual use. It doesn't take many rounds for accuracy to deteriorate to the point that you'll see eight inch groups at 25 yards. I think it's due to the extra long leade and lead build up in the chamber adaptor. This problem has shown up in two different barrels. I plan to change to a dedicated 22 rimfire barrel as soon as PSA restocks the one I want. I've cleaned out the chamber adapter a few times with a wire brush, but it doesn't take long before it's a problem again.
    My kit has been ok for the ~150 rounds I've put through it and with the way my LPVO is set up it was also shooting 6-8" low at 10 yards or so. I wasn't concerned since I was basically just function checking the kit. I didn't know PSA carried .22 barrels. The chamber adapter has to come off when you go to a dedicated .22 barrel, correct?

Who else has good .22 LR barrels that work with the CMMG kit? Target or tactical, I'm not dead set yet and open to suggestions.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I hate to be "that guy" that recommends something other than what you're asking for, brief pause for dramatic effect, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than one of the newer M&P 15/22s. They can be purchased for often less than a dedicated .22 upper and don't have the problems that the conversion kits seem to have.

Ours just flat run and I kick myself for not buying one sooner.

And that's not a bad option at all. If I were looking for a complete, new (or new to me) dedicated .22 training rifle it would be that or maybe the tricked out, Tech-Sighted (I think) 10/22 on consignment at a local place that's been haunting my wallet...
    Last edited by awp_101; 03-25-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

And that's not a bad option at all. If I were looking for a complete, new (or new to me) dedicated .22 training rifle it would be that or maybe the tricked out, Tech-Sighted (I think) 10/22 on consignment at a local place that's been haunting my wallet...
    Get both. Not even kidding. I did it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I hate to be "that guy" that recommends something other than what you're asking for, brief pause for dramatic effect, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better option than one of the newer M&P 15/22s. They can be purchased for often less than a dedicated .22 upper and don't have the problems that the conversion kits seem to have.

Ours just flat run and I kick myself for not buying one sooner.
    I was an early adopter of the dedicated, purpose-built .22LR upper (mine is a Spike’s Tactical) which was all the rage before .22 ARs came into existence. It has been incredibly reliable over the years. Yet now, especially for the money, I would definitely recommend just getting an M&P 15/22.

The only advantage of the dedicated .22 upper is being able to more closely replicate the handling characteristics of your 5.56mm carbine, in terms of the trigger (especially if you use an improved aftermarket trigger like a Geisselle SSA) and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had both. Eventually I SBR’d my 15/22 and never looked back.
    25k through it with minimal fuss. Completely and totally worth it.

The more I think about this, the more it looks like what I'm really wanting is a new (or new to me) semi-auto .22. Perhaps @Tom_Jones could change the title to "Build .22 upper or buy new rifle?" or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The only advantage of the dedicated .22 upper is being able to more closely replicate the handling characteristics of your 5.56mm carbine, in terms of the trigger (especially if you use an improved aftermarket trigger like a Geisselle SSA) and weight.
    That's an important, but not overriding, consideration in my thinking. Does the M&P use standard AR triggers? Then there's the dilemma of keep any .22 AR as a basic carbine to set it up as a duplicate of my serious rifle?

These have caught my eye at a local place:

Basically a 10/22 knock off from T/C, uses 10/22 parts and is closer to what I'd like in a .22 for less than the cost of a similarly equipped 10/22. What I haven't seen in my quick google search are end user reviews or feedback from retailers (no returns from customers, lots of returns, etc).

Has anyone here fooled around with one?

I need to see if the other local place still has that consignment 10/22 and if there's any wiggle room...

That's an important, but not overriding, consideration in my thinking. Does the M&P use standard AR triggers? Then there's the dilemma of keep any .22 AR as a basic carbine to set it up as a duplicate of my serious rifle?
    I was going for the same thing but realized it wasn't going to work and just got a 15-22. Tippmann makes a nice looking .22 AR carbine and I was really considering one but there's not as much info and they're just a smaller company with less distribution so I went with the Smith instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List