Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Holding cellphone during gunfight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I maintain that cell phones are one of the biggest officer safety threat faced today.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3584251/

The science on cell phones and distracted driving (and being distracted from life) is pretty solid. If you're on your phone, you can't really pay attention to the world around you. If you're thinking about your phone, you can't really pay attention to the world around you. People think they can multitask with a phone and pay attention to something other than that phone, they can't. The whole hands free stuff is based off of research that people just holding their phones think about their what they are going to do with the phone and stop paying attention I'm not trying to a make a that you can't walk and chew bubble gum, it's entirely possible to simply carry a phone and not be distracted, but if you're not planning on using it, just put it up.
    I'm required to carry a company cell phone at work and for the most part it really does make my life easier. I'm able to compile and submit my reports with it (my handwriting is atrocious). The GPS tracker in it removes all doubt as to whether or or not I've done my rounds and it makes it easier for me to document any discrepancies I find (it's a lot harder for a driver to deny I found his truck unlocked when I can submit a photo of the open door and the truck number).

The phone even sounds an alarm if it's removed from my site. There was actually a murderer in Denver who was caught because he stole a phone from the guard he killed and tripped the alarm when he left the site. The only thing that's missing is the ability to use it as a body cam.

All that aside I hate having to walk my rounds with it in my hand and I hate the fact that I have to turn my back on the World to use it to do a scan. I make a point of putting it back in my pocket when it's not actually in use.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We trained to drop things in the Academy and do so occasionally at in-service. I incorporate dropping a "pizza " into one of my classes. It's against human nature to abandon resources but a little forethought and a smidge of training overcomes it pretty quick.
    Did you use real pizzas? If not the training is invalid.
    Although, I will weep for the loss of all those (assumptively) good pizzas.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

When you do something enough times it becomes an autopilot default whenever you get distracted. It need not be an extremely stressful situation either. I saw something at the range that proves it.

Many people, when they load a magazine, give the back of it a sharp whack with the heel of their hand to make sure that the rounds are all seated correctly. Often soldiers do the same only they whack it against their helmets. We have probably all seen this in the movies. A former Marine who served in Afghanistan came to the range with several of his buddies the other day. He had been out of the service now for several years. He got married, become a dad and settled back into civilian life. He is now thinking about buying an AR and was shooting several to decide what features he liked. At one point he was loading a magazine while telling war stories and absentmindedly whacked it against his bare head! He was distracted by the friendly banter and did what he always did without thinking. If you have programmed yourself not to drop your phone you will likely hang on to it if you are distracted by a gun fight.

User Tag List