Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding cellphone during gunfight

Holding cellphone during gunfight

It is seared into my consciousness to hold onto my cell phone and keep it from dropping. I realized I have not thought through what I would do in the event I found the need to draw and engage while I was holding my cell phone. I am almost 100% confident I would lose valuable time overcoming my ingrained instinct to NOT drop it, and that unless I immediately dropped it, it would compromise my draw (currently AIWB when not in a suit). Are any of you incorporating cell phones into your training?

Note: I tried the search function to find a thread on this, if I missed it, my apologies.

You can find lots of videos of officer involved shootings where they're still holding their ticket book/whatever and shooting SHO.

I surmise this might be the reason why some stages start you off with something in your hand to drop when the buzzer sounds.

https://youtu.be/etTrWR7Q1b8

Visualization helps.

One thing I tell myself when walking out of the supermarket with a couple of bags in my hands is to drop them if I need to go for the gun. That mental set helps me forget that I have eggs/beer/whatever that normally you would not want to drop in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    You can find lots of videos of officer involved shootings where they're still holding their ticket book...and shooting SHO.

I surmise this might be the reason why some stages start you off with something in your hand to drop when the buzzer sounds.

https://youtu.be/etTrWR7Q1b8
    Circa 1980 I worked in a jurisdiction that required a signature on citations, with arrest upon failure to sign, said document acting as a de facto OR release. I designed (for personal use) and had a local canvas shop fabricate, a ticket book that incorporated a kevlar sheathed titanium plate inside a cordura tri-fold cover that held a clipboard with citations. The back side of it held a longitudinal strap to grab and use as a small "shield". The prototype stopped everything from .22LR up to and including 240gr .44 magnum from a 6" N frame at point blank range.

I never had to use it except for citations, but it was always an active reminder of the underlying premise.

Banned
    I realize I'm quoting a television cop show but I think there's a grain of truth in it.

It was an episode of "The Rookie". The rookie's training officer wanted him to ram another car during a car chase and he missed. He does hit the car on the second pass and during the AAR The rookie tells the T.O. that it was hard for him to force himself to hit the other car.

The T.O. responds that his whole life the rookie has been conditioned to avoid car wrecks and that he has to overcome that conditioning. Again, I realize it's T.V. and it's generally bullshit but I agree with them on that point.

I try never to have my phone in my hand in public but I do practice visualization when I'm carrying groceries
    Last edited by Cypher; 03-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Visualization helps.

One thing I tell myself when walking out of the supermarket with a couple of bags in my hands is to drop them if I need to go for the gun. That mental set helps me forget that I have eggs/beer/whatever that normally you would not want to drop in my hands.
    From a very early point, I trained wife and children (the kids are now in their 40's & 50's) to always use the cart: "keep your hands free, walk in the center of the lane, pass the car to see at least 3 sides before closing on it, etc". If they "must" carry anything, "it SHALL be in your non-dominant hand, ready to jettison instantly".

Site Supporter
    Briefcase drill. So called because it started as a drill for executive protection types, who tended to carry the boss' stuff.

Get a phone sized object, and practice dropping it before you draw, as you draw, after you draw.

In civilian active shooter training I mention dailing 911, turning on the speaker, and dropping it in a pocket, or setting it on a piece of cover/barricade in order to be able to get information out...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

In civilian active shooter training I mention dialing 911, turning on the speaker,
    Now imagine someone so unreconstructed that the phone is a Jitterbug flip phone in the sock drawer...

Site Supporter
    Yeah, most of those classes are not for people likely to need them, rather they provide a feeling that they are preparing. My own daughter sat through a class we did for a church and a couple of months later could not recall the most important points. We also had a guy in the class who did not want to go armed, because he and his kids' martial arts and knife throwing skills were superior to what he could do with a gun. I shit you not. As a contracted instructor, I gave him the Pat Rogers patented nod, smile, thumbs up and got away from him before the stupidity could leak out and get on my shoes.

It also is a better use of a cell phone than shooting video of an active shooter event...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-25-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    From a very early point, I trained wife and children (the kids are now in their 40's & 50's) to always use the cart: "keep your hands free, walk in the center of the lane, pass the car to see at least 3 sides before closing on it, etc". If they "must" carry anything, "it SHALL be in your non-dominant hand, ready to jettison instantly".
    Walk in the center of the lane? You mean where people drive? So you're one of those.....

Why should I use a cart to take two bags to my car? I can open my fingers and let the bags drop as I move my hands to the gun or knife.

User Tag List