Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding cellphone during gunfight

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Walk in the center of the lane? You mean where people drive? So you're one of those.....
    I am indeed. And I also walk downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Why should I use a cart to take two bags to my car?
    To provide job security for the cart fetchers.

I was in a class, during downtime, and the instructor was coaching me on a few things, when he tossed an empty water bottle to me. I caught it, and at that exact same moment, he called "threat!", at which point I drew my pistol and shot at the target one handed. When it was done, he mentioned that I could have tossed the bottle. I didn't even realize I was still holding it. I got my hits, reasonably fast, but couldn't let go of what was in my hands. I didn't apply any thought to what it was, if it had value, if it was OK to drop it. I just held it tight and shot.

If it was a real shooting, I don't know if my brain would allocate any cells to evaluate what I was holding in my other hand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    To provide job security for the cart fetchers.
    I concede LOL

To steal from Randy Harris, those plastic ammo trays make handy phone-like objects to drop at the range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    To steal from Randy Harris, those plastic ammo trays make handy phone-like objects to drop at the range.
    And you always have a ready supply of them.

Speaking about having the wrong thing in hand...

Seared into your consciousness to not drop your phone?
    Training based on phone use?
    What?

I guess I'm an over-the-hill geezer, since my phone is the last thing I'm worried about. It's in my pocket or left on my desk or kitchen counter 85+% of the time.

And if self defense and situational awareness are important, particularly when it comes to managing threats via firearms use, I'd guess that I'd NEVER be focus-locked on my phone.

Again, I'm a geezer. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Seared into your consciousness to not drop your phone?
    Training based on phone use?
    What?

I guess I'm an over-the-hill geezer, since my phone is the last thing I'm worried about. It's in my pocket or left on my desk or kitchen counter 85+% of the time.

And if self defense and situational awareness are important, particularly when it comes to managing threats via firearms use, I'd guess that I'd NEVER be focus-locked on my phone.

Again, I'm a geezer. To each his own.
    I could probably have better clarified that my thoughts are related more broadly to holding any object. I am not worrying about my phone. I just think it unlikely that my first response would be to immediately drop it. I think I'd defer to one handed manipulation. Thus my query.

For me, I envision taking a work call and being distracted when something develops. For you, it could be walking out of a gas station holding a cup of coffee or leaving a store with a bag. We aren't always situationally aware. If I could control my environment 100% or be perfectly situationally aware all the time, I wouldn't be focused on improving my defensive skills with a handgun. To be sure I am not walking dark streets at night while texting with my phone, but I, like everyone, answer my phone when it rings, or reply to a text in public spaces.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I could probably have better clarified that my thoughts are related more broadly to holding any object. I am not worrying about my phone. I just think it unlikely that my first response would be to immediately drop it. I think I'd defer to one handed manipulation. Thus my query.

For me, I envision taking a work call and being distracted when something develops. For you, it could be walking out of a gas station holding a cup of coffee or leaving a store with a bag. We aren't always situationally aware. If I could control my environment 100% or be perfectly situationally aware all the time, I wouldn't be focused on improving my defensive skills with a handgun. To be sure I am not walking dark streets at night while texting with my phone, but I, like everyone, answer my phone when it rings, or reply to a text in public spaces.

Cheers
    Thanks for clarifying.

Surely, no one can operate in the world completely hands-free 100% of the time. Me? If I were attacked or clearly threatened, I'd like to believe that I'd drop whatever was in hand that would hinder my defensive movements/actions. I'd drop it like a hot potato.

User Tag List