Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What cars do you wish they still made?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thing is, even on many cars with sporting intent, some of the nannies aren’t fully defeatable on track - one of many reasons I enjoy the visceral nature of my hillclimb car. It’s a caged and gutted Ford v8 swap 86 e30 with manual brakes (no power assist), manual steering (no power assist), 5 speed tko, no abs, no nothing other than a clutch pack limited slip diff and fat Hoosiers. Nothing hairy chested about her, or me. She is pretty fierce, though. Very rewarding to drive.
    That would be a fantastically fun car to drive, but not one I'd want to drive daily or in traffic. My current "fun" vehicle is an old 4Runner I'm slowly building up into a street-legal, but capable offroader (it's already capable, just making it more so). My DD is a 2013 Focus hatchback with 5spd (got the 5spd because the Focus DCTs were garbage at the time). It's fun to drive, but not tedious.

did you seee where David Freiburger from hot rod just got a k5 out of a junkyard and took it on an off-road trip ? So many stories like that just waiting.
    I LOVE that show as well as Dirt Every Day, Engine Masters, etc.

Chris

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I often wonder what the International Scout would be like had IH not gotten out of the automobile game. It was a vehicle ahead of its time.

At least we have the 4Runner today.....

I long for a lot of things automotively speaking, but I guess what I miss the most?

Minimal nannies and turbocharged, manual equipped, cars from Mazda.

Those two things are the things I miss the most. No Mazda, I don't want an automatic equipped Mazda6 with the 2.5L turbo with automatic braking. If I wanted automatic brakes, I'd ride on a fucking train. I WANT a Mazda3 hatch with AWD, a 6-speed, and that 2.5L turbo, with the boost turned up to about 16-18 pounds and pumping out 325+ ponies so I can lay the smack down at the track and still drive to work in six inches of snow. Unfortunately, for you and me, you can't figure that out.

Depending on the job I get, my next car could be a Porsche or it could be a Honda Accord Sport with the 2.0T/6-speed Type-R drivetrain in it. The latter will get a nice Hondata tune on 91 or 93 (hopefully 93) to push it above Type-R power numbers. Yea don't mind me, just driving around in an Accord with 320 horsepower and nearly 400 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels.

Perhaps that's what I really miss the most - sleepers. The Mazdaspeed3 was a perfect example, my bright blue station wagon with Cobb tune punched out 302hp and 380tq at the front wheels. And certainly, while it was more aggressively styled than a standard Mazda3, it was a pretty unsuspecting car. Only car guys really knew what it was. And my god was it fun to creep on Audis, BMWs, Ecoboost and V8 F150s, and blow doors off.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    @BehindBlueI's did you seee where David Freiburger from hot rod just got a k5 out of a junkyard and took it on an off-road trip ? So many stories like that just waiting.
    I haven't gotten Hot Rod magazine since probably the early 2000's.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Nor have I since I was a little girl. Most of what he does is on YouTube, facey space, and motor trend on demand. All video.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I haven't gotten Hot Rod magazine since probably the early 2000's.

Nor have I since I was a little girl. Most of what he does is on YouTube, facey space, and motor trend on demand. All video.
    Ah, once again I'm behind the times. I didn't even know motor trend on demand was a thing.

I'll check out the youtube stuff.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    MToD is worth the monthly pittance for access through Prime IMO, if one is a gearhead.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-25-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Chevy S-10
    My DD is a 2wd '93 Sonoma. Dang good little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    At the risk of exposing too much of my white trash trailer park background, El Camino!
    My first car was a '74 Ranchero. I'd be excited if they started selling utes in the states again.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Chevy K5 blazer with removable roof, preferably updated to be modular so you don't herniate yourself trying to put it back on.
    My winter vehicle is an '84 K5. It would be a lot cooler if it were a '74 or '75.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I often wonder what the International Scout would be like had IH not gotten out of the automobile game. It was a vehicle ahead of its time.
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

At least we have the 4Runner today.....
    I had a 1971 Scout II. A lot of the parts manuals don't know it exists, starting with the '72. The issue was Scouts were basically Frankenstein's Monster. Whatever parts were on hand were thrown in the mix. There were five different automatic transmissions that went in my year. Most got a Chrysler torqueflight, but I was "lucky" enough to have a Borg Warner. I needed a filter for it and a bus depot in Topeka had the only two I could find in the state of Kansas. The pan gasket happened to be the same as some Ford front wheel drive transmission. The front drum brakes used the same drums as the rear of the '73-87' GMC trucks. The distributor was also a GMC, IIRC.

Finding parts was an adventure. The widespread use of the Internet has probably helped that to a degree these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    My DD is a 2wd '93 Sonoma. Dang good little truck.
    I sold my '91 Sonoma when I got all fancy and bought my '99 S-10. I still drive the S-10.

For the '91 Sonoma, I wrote a counter check for the total $8207.68, and that was after I had it upgraded with a cassette player, a bumper, and an aftermarket AC. It didn't have power steering, and it had a vinyl, straight bench seat.

My station in life had improved enough that the '99 has power steering and cloth, split bench seat. I bought it sight unseen from a payphone while walking foot patrol one day. I sold the '91 to one of my shift mates.
    Last edited by jlw; 03-25-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List