Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What cars do you wish they still made?

C3 Corvette only with modern internals. It wouldn’t even have to be fast or spectacular. Just give me a new engine, transmission, AC, and Apple Carplay in that body style. I’m sure you could make it cheaper than a current production ‘vette and still sell a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Grassroots Motorsports did a track test comparison between a Honda Odyssey, Porsche 356 (or early 911, I forget), and some other Euro sports car. With street tires, the van held its own. With track tires, it killed the other two while providing AC and DVD entertainment.

As far as what I'd want, I'm quite happy with current offerings aside from price. I don't find modern cars hard to work on and they're certainly more reliable and efficient.

I learned how to drive on car from the mid 80s and my first car was a '72 VW Beetle, so I learned without ABS, traction control, etc, but a vehicle with those features will drive as well if not better in most conditions you're likely to drive in with a passenger vehicle.

As for manual transmissions, while 2 of my 3 cars are stick, I would gladly take a modern DCT transmission over a stick any day. They're more durable, more efficient, and perform better than their manual cousins. There's simply no benefit to manual these days. Look at what modern big rigs and supercars have. It's not a manual and it's not because nobody can drive a stick.

Chris
    I was told when buying my Mazda that their manuals actually get slightly worse fuel efficiency than the 6spd autos.

Chevy trailblazer ss...perfect size, corvette engine, great suspension....of course it was great so they discontinued it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would gladly take a modern DCT transmission over a stick any day. They're more durable, more efficient, and perform better than their manual cousins.
    I agree with the efficiency, but find the durability part hard to believe. What makes you say that?

The appeal of a synchronized manual transmission and a pedal operated clutch is complete control over that part of the driveline with no intervention from electronics.

I also miss the electronics that did whatever you commanded regardless of whether that was smart or not. I truly hate stability assist with a passion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I was told when buying my Mazda that their manuals actually get slightly worse fuel efficiency than the 6spd autos.
    Every vehicle I've looked at that offered both did worse with the manual in 0-60 and efficiency.

Chris

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    Chevy trailblazer ss...perfect size, corvette engine, great suspension....of course it was great so they discontinued it.

I'd love an SS trailblazer... so sad that the new revived trailblazer they're putting out soon is just another crossover.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I agree with the efficiency, but find the durability part hard to believe. What makes you say that?
    It's something I've read in relation to transmissions in high torque applications such as diesel semis and large diesel work trucks.

The appeal of a synchronized manual transmission and a pedal operated clutch is complete control over that part of the driveline with no intervention from electronics.
    It's certainly more visceral, which is why I enjoy driving my two manual-equipped vehicles in decent traffic conditions. However, as a resident of Northern VA, there are many times I'd be happier with an automatic (DCT, etc) while I sit in stop and go traffic right at the cusp of a gear shift.

I also miss the electronics that did whatever you commanded regardless of whether that was smart or not. I truly hate stability assist with a passion.
    The hairy-chested male in me prefers a more primitive car under my full control, but I can't argue that modern cars with ABS, traction control, stability control, etc are better for most drivers most of the time. As mentioned above, I learned how to drive on cars/trucks without even ABS. I'm fully comfortable pumping brakes in a skid, turning into skids, and recovering when the rear end swaps on you, but I can't deny how effective modern systems are in keeping me out of situations where those skills are needed. Until the snow gets deeper than the undercarriage of my car, it does as well in snow as my part-time 4wd 4Runner (that only has ABS). Cars with a sporting intent do have controls that can be disabled, I think that's a good compromise.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Chevy K5 blazer with removable roof, preferably updated to be modular so you don't herniate yourself trying to put it back on.

I completely agree with the C3 Corvette. I owned one and while the performance wasn't remotely on par with modern cars, the looks were fantastic and driving it was just plain fun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I’m not talking classic cars. I mean models that the factory got right and would still sell. Examples would be the original VW beetle and the checker marathon. My favorite is the 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport. Simple, easy to work on. Basic reliable transportation. The second would be 1996 Chevy impala police package. My favorite patrol car. Comfortable and reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post

Since my daily is a Trailblazer SS and the other car in my garage is a '96 Impala SS...I'm with youse guys.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thing is, even on many cars with sporting intent, some of the nannies aren’t fully defeatable on track - one of many reasons I enjoy the visceral nature of my hillclimb car. It’s a caged and gutted Ford v8 swap 86 e30 with manual brakes (no power assist), manual steering (no power assist), 5 speed tko, no abs, no nothing other than a clutch pack limited slip diff and fat Hoosiers. Nothing hairy chested about her, or me. She is pretty fierce, though. Very rewarding to drive.

I don’t really hanker after continued production of older cars. You can restore anything to like new or better with care and attention. If they were made new today it wouldn’t be the same. There are so many cool cars out there with life left in them and plenty of new stories to make with new owners. @BehindBlueI's did you seee where David Freiburger from hot rod just got a k5 out of a junkyard and took it on an off-road trip ? So many stories like that just waiting.

Cars with a sporting intent do have controls that can be disabled, I think that's a good compromise.

Chris
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.

User Tag List