Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What cars do you wish they still made?

Site Supporter

What cars do you wish they still made?

I’m not talking classic cars. I mean models that the factory got right and would still sell. Examples would be the original VW beetle and the checker marathon. My favorite is the 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport. Simple, easy to work on. Basic reliable transportation. The second would be 1996 Chevy impala police package. My favorite patrol car. Comfortable and reliable.

Chevy S-10
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

First generation Toyota Tacoma

Honestly, to me it is more about features. There are some things I like about modern cars (better brakes, engines that need less maintenance).

Vent windows, rain gutters, manual transmissions (getting harder to find), steel wheels.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Every Honda/Toyota that used to have a standard automatic transmission and now has a CVT.

Porsche 944 with an updated engine. A 350 hp NA V6 maybe?

Keep everything else the same. That freaking car could handle.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Honestly, to me it is more about features. There are some things I like about modern cars (better brakes, engines that need less maintenance).
    I like fuel injection and better electronics. I remember back when cars had carburetors and points. In the cold winter you would see cars nose to nose with jumper cables and starting fluid. I haven't seen that in years. I don't miss it. The other day I was thinking about how well my Toyota Mom Van drove. It handled better than some of my old muscle cars. Get off my lawn.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    At the risk of exposing too much of my white trash trailer park background, El Camino!

Also, I forgot to add: the Toyota Supra. However, they are actually bringing that one back soon, so someone is clearly reading my mind out there in Japan.

Speaking of which, I'll add a few more: the Mitsubishi Lancer, Isuzu Trooper, and the MazdaSpeed 3/6.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The other day I was thinking about how well my Toyota Mom Van drove. It handled better than some of my old muscle cars. Get off my lawn.
    Grassroots Motorsports did a track test comparison between a Honda Odyssey, Porsche 356 (or early 911, I forget), and some other Euro sports car. With street tires, the van held its own. With track tires, it killed the other two while providing AC and DVD entertainment.

As far as what I'd want, I'm quite happy with current offerings aside from price. I don't find modern cars hard to work on and they're certainly more reliable and efficient.

I learned how to drive on car from the mid 80s and my first car was a '72 VW Beetle, so I learned without ABS, traction control, etc, but a vehicle with those features will drive as well if not better in most conditions you're likely to drive in with a passenger vehicle.

As for manual transmissions, while 2 of my 3 cars are stick, I would gladly take a modern DCT transmission over a stick any day. They're more durable, more efficient, and perform better than their manual cousins. There's simply no benefit to manual these days. Look at what modern big rigs and supercars have. It's not a manual and it's not because nobody can drive a stick.

Chris

Cars are mostly better today than yesterday. That said: 3xx Ferraris—back when Ferrari made sports cars in addition to supercars. Also, the ‘95-96 iteration of Jaguar’s 4.0 six... before "Forduar" went all-in on 5.0 V8s from the bin. Nothing wrong with a good 302; just that the old jag 6 could still be usefull and viable in the impending post-V8 world. Speaking of, the V8 cayennes were better drivers.

Also: manual roll up window cranks. Those things never die.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 03-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List