Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: What cars do you wish they still made?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    There's one thing I wish would die a horrible f***ing death . . . moonroofs. Specifically the stupid f***ing ones that replace almost your entire roof with glass. I've owned four cars in my life, 3 of them had moonroofs (2 Ford OEM, one aftermarket in a POS Cavalier). Every single one had issues.
    Damn. I've had two......a BMW E28, and a 2002 Subaru Outback...my wife has had two, as well. None had issues. I wonder if the hot weather in Florida has something to do with it? Accelerated degradation of the seals or something?
    Last edited by TGS; 03-29-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Damn. I've had two......a BMW E28, and a 2002 Subaru Outback...my wife has had two, as well. None had issues. I wonder if the hot weather in Florida has something to do with it? Accelerated degradation of the seals or something?
    The first one spent its entire life in Illinois. This one has been a Florida car for all but 2 years of its existence. Both times, clogged drains ended up being the culprit to one extent or another in my issues. I wanted to like the moonroof because it’s nice to cruise with it open now and then and the wee one loves looking out the roof window in daddy’s car. I’d just rather not deal with them ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

There's one thing I wish would die a horrible f***ing death . . . moonroofs. Specifically the stupid f***ing ones that replace almost your entire roof with glass. I've owned four cars in my life, 3 of them had moonroofs (2 Ford OEM, one aftermarket in a POS Cavalier). Every single one had issues. The aftermarket one leaked into the trunk, the one my 96 Mercury had the drains clog and ended up rotting out the rockers then the tracks and motor went bad and good luck find those parts. The latest one . . . that one heats me up like no other. The drains clogged up and during a heavy rain, my interior flooded. Soaked the infotainment system, the center console, the glovebox, the floorboards. Then, while I was getting everything dried out, I found out the motors for the moonroof was located right where all the water came in . . . because the drive motors shorted and opened the moonroof all the way back then promptly died. A few grand later and I'm still having problems from all that crap.

After all that, I started vehicle shopping and it amazes me the number of cars trucks that had everything I wanted but were thrown out of contention because they had moonroofs. I won't make that mistake again in my life . . . ever. If I want the wind in my hair I'll go buy a Miata. Whoever thought moonroofs and "panoramic" moonroofs were a thing that needed to happen is someone who really needs to go to a very bad place for a very long time.
    Going from my 2005 Acura RL which kept me basically OK in a high speed collision to a 2019 Hyundai Sonata, I only miss 3 things:

1) 120 hp difference
    2) paddle shifters for manual mode
    3) moonroof

Never had issues with a moonroof--in a Japanese car.

After that collision, saftety features beat everything else for me. My standards for cars are very similar to my standards for firearms I would use for self-defense.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Never cut up a rust free car. We cut up a straight, one-owner, rust free 69 Camaro to build a race car. I was 20 at the time, and it didn't bother me. But I'm 45 now and looking back, it breaks my heart
    I think it depends on the car. This was my father’s car, it will never be for sale. It’s also already non-original, the original engine and gearbox are long gone. But I don’t think there is much use in cutting up a perfectly clean car for wider wheels, when there isn’t much to be gained.

The trouble with the Alpine is - it’s too heavy to be competitive in autocross or hill climb with the stock engine, even hotted up. It classes in H-Stock for SCCA and under 2-liter in vintage racing (having a 1725cc engine). Yet at racing weight it comes in a hefty 2100 pounds, with about 140 hp (crank) being all you’re going to get from it. Classing yourself with original MGAs, Minis, Sprites, Midgets, 100/6, 3000s, Datsun x10s, and in vintage against Porsche 356s, you better enjoy staring at brake lights.

Then we add in the relative rarity of Sunbeam parts (compared to all of the above) and it’s even more expensive to play. Add in abysmal reliability compared to a Mini, Datsun, or 356 and it’s a sum total losing proposition. Which is why I’ve decided to do an engine swap and build the car for NASA TTs and SOLO Super Street Mod. The only question remaining is just what to swap in.

I was talking to my dad the other day and he reminded me, that stashed in the shed are two 2.3 SOHC “Lima” Ford engines. One is actually an ‘86 SVO bought as a spare when I was racing an ‘84 SVO that belong to his old boss. The other is a long block out of a ‘93, bought to scavenge parts from. And there are three T5s hanging around too. None of that stuff was actually ever needed, because I switched over to a V8 car. But my dad, being my dad, just wrapped the engines up and stuck ‘em on a pallet in the shed. This is also why there at least two, maybe three, SBFs hanging around, too.

Years ago, I remember there being a four cylinder dirt track motor in the ford Motorsport catalog. I always thought that would be a wicked motor for a stripped down mustang project. Or a transplant like yours

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    MKII's are seriously underrated cars, and I'll snag one someday - it's insane for me to have owned so many MKIII Supras and two MKIV Supras without ever owning a MKII.
    Grab one while you can, it is getting harder to find well-cared for examples at reasonable prices. And to this day that had to be the best factory driver's seat as far as comfort vs support.

I loved mine, but it is a car you either leave stock or just lightly modify. Like Mk1 Mr2's, its lotus-designed suspension is a fantastic blend of feel, handling, and comfort. But features that are pleasantly "lively" -- like gentle lift-off offsteer -- in a 120-300hp car with hohum street tires become quite a handful when the car has sticky tires and 400+ hp. The factory suspension just isn't that adjustable and the aftermarket is unfortunately almost entirely devoted to the cosmetic.

But if I were by myself on a twisty road or tight road course and didn't care about lap times, I don't think anything would be more fun than right-foot steering a ~300hp mk2 Supra on 14" BFG t/a's...
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-29-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Damn.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's one thing I wish would die a horrible f***ing death . . . moonroofs.
    I eliminated the sunroof on my BMW. My current fun car has a solid roof. It was a requirement.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Toyota FJ40

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 6.28.03 PM.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  66.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Chevy S-10
    The first gen square body

User Tag List