Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snakes. How to reduce?

The ozarks should be prime owl territory.

I don’t know if you can realistically attract owls to your property but Your state wildlife people might be able to help out.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Guinea Hens.
    He’s right, they’re surprisingly effective.

On the other hand, once you’re over run with the most annoying flock of idiots this side of an AOC campaign rally, you’ll long for the sweet death of copperhead venom coursing through your veins.

They’re hella fun to plunk with the .22, too.

Duke, have you considered getting a plane? I hear they attract snakes.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 03-24-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have to admit, when I saw the title "Snakes. How to reduce?" my first that was a wine sauce reduction, then adding adding a little flour and butter to make it into a nice roux.

But you have to stir all the time, and if you walk away from the stove for just a minute, the sauce will burn.

On guineas, yeah, uhm, no.

They are annoyingly loud, and nigh onto useless.

I’d rather have a smoke alarm that was constantly going off.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Concur with the suggestions of @txdpd ...Get rid of the rats and you'll reduce your snake population considerably.
    Eliminate the food, biggest thing IMO.

There is actually trapping mechanism I found that works. 3"' or larger PVC pipe, approx 4' long. Place several of the rat glue traps in the bottom, take some time to cut them so they are pretty much flush, leave about 10" of each end of the pipe clear.

Placement is everything, put it along a fence line, at the base of the fence and parallel, if wire right flush with it, or directly under the lowest rail if a rail fence, obviously at ground level. I don't know why they enter, but they do and the glue traps capture them. I kill the copperheads, if I get a king snake or other non venomous type you can spray PAM in the tube it will release them from the glue traps. My local fish and game guy out here was one of the "critter getter" type services before he went to work for the state and turned me on to this trick. Got three copperheads with it over the years.
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-25-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    He’s right, they’re surprisingly effective.

On the other hand, once you’re over run with the most annoying flock of idiots this side of an AOC campaign rally, you’ll long for the sweet death of copperhead venom coursing through your veins.

They’re hella fun to plunk with the .22, too.

Duke, have you considered getting a plane? I hear they attract snakes.
    Having had the experience firsthand in a big toe, I’d describe it more like the sweet death of your venal return system failing, leaving you in excruciating agony barely controllible with repeated doses straight morphine at first, then days and weeks of the same when there is any blood pressure to the affected area, and months to recover.

I’ll take the guinea hens, thanks.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Eliminate the food, biggest thing IMO.

There is actually trapping mechanism I found that works. 3"' or larger PVC pipe, approx 4' long. Place several of the rat glue traps in the bottom, take some time to cut them so they are pretty much flush, leave about 10" of each end of the pipe clear.

Placement is everything, put it along a fence line, at the base of the fence and parallel, if wire right flush with it, or directly under the lowest rail if a rail fence, obviously at ground level. I don't know why they enter, but they do and the glue traps capture them. I kill the copperheads, if I get a king snake or other non venomous type you can spray PAM in the tube it will release them from the glue traps. My local fish and game guy out here was one of the "critter getter" type services before he went to work for the state and turned me on to this trick. Got three copperheads with it over the years.
    What else did you kill that you didn’t intend to?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    What else did you kill that you didn’t intend to?
    Lizzards, bugs and a ton of field mice...why?

Site Supporter
    In my area I would get a few snake lovers to come trap them. In your situation I would think defense in depth. Fenced in no snake area around house(inner perimeter) A big area of cut grass outside that (outer perimeter) . That is what I currently have but it is for ticks not snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Lizzards, bugs and a ton of field mice...why?
    Glue traps are rather indiscriminate in what they catch and kill; some, including me, find them fairly distasteful.

User Tag List