Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Coffeemakers

Haha, I'm enjoying this. I just bought a 10-cup Technivorm in Pepper Yellow for the house. And after spending $329 for it on Amazon, my wife, after a brief moment of near aneurysm response said, "Okay, fine. With a maker that expensive, I guess I'll have to put high quality coffee in it."

"Damn right you will."

After much thought, I've decided I'll get myself a Technivorm for my lab in the next couple of years, whenever I have my own lab.

PS: I've also decided to get a coffee bean subscription service. Thereby eliminating my wife buying coffee beans. Why I didn't think of this like five years ago, I don't know.

PPS: Went with Atlas Coffee Club

Coffee ships tomorrow, Technivorm gets here on Tuesday. By Wednesday morning, drip brewed coffee shall be vastly improved around here.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-24-2019 at 11:15 AM.

We have the 12 cup OXO Barista Brain that’s apparently no longer in production. It’s pretty simple to operate and doubles as a kettle. We bought it at Home Goods for $100-150 a year or two ago. Still happy with it.

It looks like 9 cup version is still available.
    David S.

Last edited by txdpd; 03-24-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Water is the main ingredient in coffee. I think the most overlooked aspect of brewing good coffee is starting off with good water. There are practical limits on what we can do about TDS, hardness and PH, but there are practical filtering methods for removing treatment chemicals in tap water, and pollutants, sediments and biological matter.

Even a Brita or PUR will do a lot to improve the flavor of coffee brewed with tap water. I like my Berkey filter, but it doesn’t make better coffee than a fresh Brita filter. I have tried them but There are recipes to add epsom salt and baking soda to RO and distilled water.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Or woman. I have a 10 cup all stainless French press. I grind the beans with a manual grinder, decant after brewing into a thermal carafe. Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    ^This man has the right answer. French press is the easiest to clean/maintain, and you can have them in glass or metal as you see fit, as well as single serve and larger options. I have a single serve one that I use for my morning cup with breakfast during the week (I get up way earlier than my wife), and a larger one that gets used when we want coffee together.

I realize you said you don't care about price, but French presses are also relatively cheap, so that's a side benefit.

EDIT: Never mind, should have read the entire thread first. Enjoy your Techivorm!

I've been using french presses since I started drinking coffee (2006). I haven't strayed. Played with other brewing methods, but french press is where it's at. Followed by "camp/cowboy coffee".

If you go the french press route:

Fuck the glass beaker style. I must've spent 200 bucks over my lifetime replacing broken beakers. I've tried plastic (those backpacking style french presses) but that turns brittle after a while. Plus, it's plastic.

Get this guy: https://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Stai...dp/B00009ADDR/

Once your coffee is brewed, I'd pour it into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WPA4H2/ FYI you don't leave brewed coffee in a french press.

If you don't want to mess with tending to your coffee, I'd get this guy if I ever switched to electronic coffee: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RQVQF1/
    Last edited by Jay585; 03-24-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

6 cup Chemex and a SS carafe. Spend the other $400 incrementally on great beans and a grinder of some repute.

K cups are total trash.

To that end preground is trash.

Get a manual handground or other conical burr grinder and use whole bean.

Once you’re dealing with reasonably new roasted, ground just before brew beans, most coffee makers can brew a decent cup if you get the water to coffee ratio right.

French press is most pure, most durable imo

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Even a Brita or PUR will do a lot to improve the flavor of coffee brewed with tap water.
    Yup, and using filtered water is better for your electric teakettle, too; you don't have to clean it anywhere near as often that way. It's a win/win.

Student
    Next, your grinder is going to cost more than your brewing method.

User Tag List