Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Coffeemakers

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I didn't have a long enough attention span to mess with the stock Aeropress. The Prismo is totally worth it, really save the thing for me.
    Fuck it, ordered.
    #RESIST

Keurig is OK for coffee-flavored caffeine delivery, but that's it.

I was a cold- brew guy until the COOVID thing. Back to French Press since. I just boil water in the microwave , which I don't recommend unless you have crazy heat resistance in your hands like I do. As I found out recently, my fingers have such thick callus that I can stick my fingertips into superheated water and set off boiling witn no pain.

I make mine nice and strong (the oil on top lets you know it's for real) with half and half and no sweetener. Sweet coffee is nasty.

I like a 2/3 light roast mixed with 1/3 medium roast. I avoid "French Roast" or dark roasts. Lidl has the best deals on whole beans and Aldi is pretty good too. I picked up a can of Balinese last time, drinking it now. I will be mixing it with the "breakfast blend."

Cafe Bustelo has been mentioned several times in this thread. I think it is the best brand if you aren't grinding your own beans. Cheap at Lidl!

If I was snobbier, I'd drink the ultra-light roast from some African nation we got in a Christmas gift sampler. (Inkatha? But that's a political party...) I have roasted green Ethiopean beans at home before , in the oven. A very nice coffee, but a PITA.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

If you are all fru-fru about your exact fussy coffee brewing system, then you're just a dilettante and not a real coffee drinker.

Unless you can and will consume something that was brewed on Friday morning, then sat on the burner until Sunday, because that's all that is available at the moment- only then are you a real coffee drinker.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Badlanders, duuuude...cold brew in your French press. Same grind, same ratio as your regular brew but with room temperature water, let it sit on the counter 12-24 hours...press and drink immediately over ice or put it in a carafe in the fridge and enjoy at your leisure. I’ve got a 64oz jug of that stuff in my fridge at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Fuck it, ordered.
    I liked the Prismo for making the AeroPress coffee taste more like an americano while on travel (which I used to do before the current unpleasantness).

It does not (NOT) actually make espresso, though. The absolute minimum for decent espresso is a manual device like a Cafelat Robot or a Flair (with a unpressurized basket and a nice grinder). At less than 6-7 bar you are making strong coffee, not espresso, and most people will spend hundreds on shitty machines before they realize that. I could have bought a super nice machine for what I wasted learning I couldn’t cheap out.

Alright someone explain this Cafe Bustelo thing...

I asked the wife to pick some up while out this week, and she reported back that it was all "espresso". Now I see online that it's "espresso coffee". She did, however, pick up some of the instant single serve packs which she tried herself and has reported to be "disgusting".

What am I not getting here? Is it just coffee that they're calling "espresso" for some reason?

If I get some of this stuff, I can just make it like I always do in my pourover (2 heaping tablespoons to 12 oz off-boil water)?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of whole bean coffee at the grocery stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the lack of whole bean coffee at the grocery stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was alleged to be a coffee shortage coming, but it's only impacting grocery store brands. I heard from someone close to a Nestle employee. At the time, and most recently, there is no shortage of coffee beans for smaller roasters.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Badlanders, duuuude...cold brew in your French press. Same grind, same ratio as your regular brew but with room temperature water, let it sit on the counter 12-24 hours...press and drink immediately over ice or put it in a carafe in the fridge and enjoy at your leisure. I’ve got a 64oz jug of that stuff in my fridge at all times.
    I've had this in my cart at Amazon forever, pondering cold brew.
    #RESIST

LL, if you already have a French press I wouldn’t bother with that. If you don’t...get one!

User Tag List